what are your plans for labor/delivery? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 11-09-2008, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll have a hospital VBAC with an OB, no midwives at my hospital and I can't go to the birthcenter as a VBAC.
Hopefully it'll be like the last birth - a drug free VBAC arriving 30 mins after I get to the hospital. I'll probably hire a doula depending on cost. I'd like a homebirth but just can't afford it......$3,000 is a lot of money in our home.
#32 of 46 Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippimama View Post
Ok, what kind of birth are you planning this time?

I have 4 "standard" hospital births. No complications, but got an epi all 4 times.

THIS time, I am planning a homebirth in our garden tub w/a midwife.

What is everyone else gonna do this time around?
Remarkably similar to you!

I have four hospital births with one shouldery dystocea, no epidurals. This time, I'm planning a homebirth with a midwife.
#33 of 46 Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 PM

My 3rd homebirth.

#1: Labored but didn't deliver in water. Midwife attended.

#2: No time to get any water set up; midwife missed it, too. Had to transfer for retained placenta.

I want water and a midwife for labor this time. I'm not sure I'll want to deliver in water this time either but I'm open to it. I want a midwife around because of some fear left over from #2 but really I'd love a UC (I had actually been fantasizing alot about one with #2 and see where that got me? )
#34 of 46 Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinz View Post
I birthed first round in the hospital with a midwife. At my 40 week appt I had sky-high bp. As in 2 points below seizure. I was ordered to the hospital immediately (they wanted me to take an ambulance but I declined) for immediate induction. When my midwife very calmly told me that this was one of the leading causes for maternal morbidity I took her seriously. I managed to do hard labor, laying on my left side in bed while hooked up to pictocin, for over 20 hours with no drugs. Then I pushed for two!

PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension) is extremely rare. If you are birthing the second time with the same partner, your chances of getting it again are close to zero. I have read about the Brewer diet and while I didn't know about it at the time, I can tell you that my diet very closely resembled it. In my experience, your bp is what makes the difference in how it is handled at the time. High bp was my only symptom.

This time we are planning a home birth come hell or high water (well, almost ha). I am confidant I won't have any issues, and now I know I can do it and I think birthing at home will actually reduce my bp during labor so I have that on my side too.

My friend Sherri (also in this ddc) recently sent me a couple links so I'll pass them on
http://prenatal-health.suite101.com/...d_hypertension

http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/
Wow, thank you SO much for sharing your story and those links. I really appreciate it!
I did call the birth center today to see if I would be a good candidate and the answer was "no" because of my previous high bp before and after delivery. I actually have had high blood pressure with my last TWO babies (same partner). With ds2 I went in for my 40 week appt and had elevated bp, they sent me for monitoring at the hospital, and decided to induce me. BP went down after delivery. Then later, with my dd, I had high bp at 38 weeks, was induced, and had very high bp after delivery requiring medication. So yeah, now that I'm thinking about it more carefully and reading your story, I'm seeing it's really safer for me to be in the hospital. It's hard, because I was browsing the birth center's website and birth stories yesterday and was really getting excited. I'm glad I called and checked with them this morning so I can start getting used to the idea of having another hospital birth. I will feel so blessed if I can have a healthy baby, I am sure I just need a day or so to switch gears after my initial excitement. Maybe I can hire a birth doula to have a little nicer experience?

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#35 of 46 Old 11-10-2008, 06:21 PM

First timer and need the reassurance of my doctor. She's a wonderful doctor, I really like her a lot, and my insurance will cover that. So, decision is made.

I'm really worried that something would go wrong at home, so I just don't think I could add the extra stress to an already intimidating process.:

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#36 of 46 Old 11-10-2008, 08:08 PM

I'm planning an unmedicated, no to little intervention hospital birth with a Dr. I've always wanted a home birth, but DH is just too afraid

Mom to 4, & a Baby Girl in Heaven 01/2009. Missing my New Angel 12/2009
#37 of 46 Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm planning a hospital birth with an epi, possibly with a non-chemical induction at term so I can choose which doctor in the practice I deliver with.

It's so weird how people fear different things - I know I don't want to go through the pain again, but after two out-of-hospital births, I am scared to set foot in the place Like they'll be waiting at the door with a scalpel and a big syringe of Pit or something. In fact, they'll probably be glad to be dealing with somebody who has birthed two babies without incident and doesn't want a lot of hand-holding
#38 of 46 Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 AM

I would really like to UC, but DH is starting to express his worries. Hopefully DH will come around If not then the same midwife for a home water birth.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#39 of 46 Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 PM

We're planning an HBAC with pool in case I want that. For DD, we went to a freestanding birth center, but I let them coerce me into induction. I was also very disappointed in myself for not getting a doula. For some reason, I really thought the birth center midwives would be at my side a lot to offer pain relief options and suggestions for positions to speed labor or turn DD, but they really weren't with me much. I don't know that we could have avoided a C-section with a doula, but I think the experience would have been much better.
#40 of 46 Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic-mama View Post
I'm planning an unmedicated, no to little intervention hospital birth with a Dr. I've always wanted a home birth, but DH is just too afraid
organic-mama: how did your ob initially respond to you when you told her/him that this is what you wanted (if you've mentioned it yet, that is)? When I tried to introduce a conversation about birth plans with my ob when pg with our dd, I really felt like she really wasn't interested in talking about it so I kind of clammed up. Just curious about your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
I'm planning a hospital birth with an epi, possibly with a non-chemical induction at term so I can choose which doctor in the practice I deliver with.

It's so weird how people fear different things - I know I don't want to go through the pain again, but after two out-of-hospital births, I am scared to set foot in the place Like they'll be waiting at the door with a scalpel and a big syringe of Pit or something. In fact, they'll probably be glad to be dealing with somebody who has birthed two babies without incident and doesn't want a lot of hand-holding
Yes, they probably will be happy to have you!
What is a non-chemical induction?
I've had an epi for 3 of my births and didn't have one for the last one, my dd. I'd be totally ok going no-epi again, because my labors so far have been short and I handle that pain all right. The shocker to me was after my dd was born, when I had to get some stitches--yowza!! Now THAT is a much nicer experience with an epi on board. I'd like to go no epi but somehow make sure I don't tear. My labor was quiet--no one at the hospital really knew I was in hard labor, actually. But during the stitching I was swearing up a storm, it was very unladylike
btw, not a comment either way on getting/not getting an epi, just recalling this made me giggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubulidentata2 View Post
We're planning an HBAC with pool in case I want that. For DD, we went to a freestanding birth center, but I let them coerce me into induction. I was also very disappointed in myself for not getting a doula. For some reason, I really thought the birth center midwives would be at my side a lot to offer pain relief options and suggestions for positions to speed labor or turn DD, but they really weren't with me much. I don't know that we could have avoided a C-section with a doula, but I think the experience would have been much better.
Wow, I would have had the same expectations you had, that the midwife would be there to offer a lot of labor support.
I didn't know birth centers did inductions? How did they do it?

Lots of questions from me today

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#41 of 46 Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post
Wow, I would have had the same expectations you had, that the midwife would be there to offer a lot of labor support.
I didn't know birth centers did inductions? How did they do it?
I think I just happened to have a very hands-off midwife on call that night. My friend had the same midwife and liked that she is hands-off. For me, to make matters worse, another woman came in to labor, so the midwife had to go back and forth between us.

As for the induction, they tried other methods before chemical induction. I believe they suggested I start homeopathic induction, sex, evening primrose oil (vaginally), and nipple stimulation around 40.5 weeks. Then they inserted a foley catheter at about 41 weeks. The plan was to try gel induction at 41.5 weeks (outpatient basis at the nearby hospital) and, if that didn't work, I would become a hospital patient at 42 weeks and get Pitocin. The gel worked (sort of), so I went back to the birth center until labor stalled at 9 cm.

This time, I made sure our provider is OK with going to 43 weeks before we even tried to conceive.
#42 of 46 Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 AM

I'm having a homebirth and have hired a hands off MW. I'll have a tub there as an option and time will tell if I want to birth in the water .
#43 of 46 Old 11-12-2008, 04:48 AM

We were planning on a drug free, hospital birth with a midwife... unfortunatly we were'nt able to get a midwife, so it looks like we'll be having a drug free hospital birth with an OB. Seriously considering a doula now as well...
#44 of 46 Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post
IThe shocker to me was after my dd was born, when I had to get some stitches--yowza!! Now THAT is a much nicer experience with an epi on board.
Didn't they give you a local anesthetic?!?!? When I had stitches, they gave me a shot down there, and I didn't feel the stitches at all. It was still a sucky experience, but I didn't feel any pain during it. They had to give the shot a second time since a student was doing the stitches and it took him a while (it was like 45 minutes!).

Also, ask what type of tear it is and see if you really NEED stitches. I had first degree tears. My midwife says first degree tears and some second degree tears don't require stitches. I healed SO much faster the second time around. I had the same tear, but no stitches. It was awesome! I would have a hard time consenting to stitches again... I think it'd have to be a REALLY bad tear to get them.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#45 of 46 Old 11-12-2008, 12:08 PM

I basically feel like I have no choice at all, due to expenses, location, and lack of support. I guess we'll be having another hospital birth using a OBGYN/midwife practice that I don't even like again.
The midwife I had last time was nice and caring, but completely overbooked, which I think may be something she is made to do working at the practice she does. She was never with me during labor until the pushing stage and I had to wait for her to be done with whatever she was doing and to come to my room before I was "allowed" to start pushing.
I would love to not use any pain medication and not be stuck strapped in bed, but it didn't work last time so who knows. As soon as I got to the hospital things started going so poorly that I freaked out and wanted medication. Having an anxiety disorder makes for an easily freaked out laboring woman!
Sorry, bringing the negativity!
BUT I am hoping we can somehow have enough money to hire a doula and maybe she will help make things go as best they can.
#46 of 46 Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
Homebirth, currently debating on a water birth.
Me too!! I'm thinking of having the tub there and ready and I can use it if I feel the need.

Amanda
Mama to Amelia (9.8.06) and Jonah (6.19.09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page