what are your plans for labor/delivery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, what kind of birth are you planning this time?

I have 4 "standard" hospital births. No complications, but got an epi all 4 times.

THIS time, I am planning a homebirth in our garden tub w/a midwife.

What is everyone else gonna do this time around?

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#2 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 01:28 PM

We are planning another homebirth.
#3 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Planning an out-of-hospital birth. Basically, I'll rent a house across the state line where midwifery is legal , and at first contraction, I'm calling over a closeby friend to watch the kids so we can head up there and get the birth pool filling (they have a really nice one in the rental house).

I crossed the state line in a similar fashion last time, and had a wonderful birth, although I didn't make it to the tub. Shouldn't have waited for my mom to take an hour to get to my house to watch the kidlet (she lives 45 minutes away and had to shower first). Didn't help that DH didn't even CALL my mom until after HE had showered, and I was sitting there wanting to go on to the birth house to labor there and be ready to go in the water. This time he knows we're going ASAP. I don't care if he's had a shower or not! I didn't get a shower!

First baby was natural birth in a hospital, but was planned to be out of hospital like these last two pregnancies. He just decided to come at 29 weeks, so the out of hospital thing was out. The experience could have been better, but wasn't horrid either, since he came very quickly and the nurses didn't expect that.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#4 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM

I am between a birth center, homebirth and hospital birth w/midwife. At this point, it's sort of up to dh and his comfort level (which I think is a crock....but I gotta do what I gotta do).

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#5 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 02:01 PM

We're planning a homebirth this time. My son was born in the hospital (induction, but drug-free).

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#6 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 02:52 PM

We are planning another home birth with the same midwives who attended my son's birth. It was awesome, so I really look forward to that part!

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#7 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 PM

Homebirth, currently debating on a water birth.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#8 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
Us too!
#9 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Most likely a HBAC. The midwife we like the most runs a birth center too - so we have the option of going there. Which, sadly will cost 2,000 more then a homebirth - but will be totally covered by insurance. If we have the exact same midwife, with the exact same equiptment at home then we'll have to pay 100% out of pocket. So messed up.
#10 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 04:58 PM

Hospital birth with a midwife, and probably a doula.

I hemorrhaged quite a bit during ds's birth (they gave me 5 pints of blood, and I refused a 6th). The midwives are definitely encouraging a hospital birth. I don't think dp's nerves (or mine!) would be able to cope with the idea of a homebirth for me this time. lol.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#11 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Hoping for a homebirth or birth center birth if my body cooperates; if not then a drug free hospital birth with a midwife.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#12 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 06:14 PM

Freestanding birth center! I really do hope those midwives and a doula (we're looking into getting one) can truly, truly help me with pain management!!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#13 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 06:28 PM

We're definitely planning another homebirth, but that's about all I know. Since I had my last babe, I have worked as an assistant for all the local homebirth midwives, and now I can't really imagine having any of them with us for this birth. I think I got to know them all in a very different manner, seeing the way it works from the other side. We had an awesome DEM last time around, but she moved out of state since. I'm thinking about calling her to see if she would come back!
#14 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 06:47 PM

At home, probably unassisted, with a water pool but not set on birthing in the water, just to have it around for labor.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#15 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 PM

Still up in the air. Previous births were hospital with epi. Tried to do hospital with midwife but that didn't work out, and that's not an option anymore.
So it's between another hospital birth (which isn't the worst thing for me) and a free standing birth center with midwives.

Question: Has anyone else had a birth center birth who had high blood pressure at the end of their pregnancy? I had to be induced a couple weeks early because of high bp. Is this something that could have been managed another way, other than induction? I really haven't researched at all yet, but would love if anyone has experience/info.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#16 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 07:51 PM

Hospital birth Not a ton of options around here and that is what I am most comfortable with. Hopefully drug free though! I did drug free last time until we had to do an emergency c-section so.. yeah!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#17 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post
Still up in the air. Previous births were hospital with epi. Tried to do hospital with midwife but that didn't work out, and that's not an option anymore.
So it's between another hospital birth (which isn't the worst thing for me) and a free standing birth center with midwives.

Question: Has anyone else had a birth center birth who had high blood pressure at the end of their pregnancy? I had to be induced a couple weeks early because of high bp. Is this something that could have been managed another way, other than induction? I really haven't researched at all yet, but would love if anyone has experience/info.
My understanding is that a high protein diet (and lots of fluids) is the treatment for high blood pressure. You want to have this diet as soon as possible and not wait for symptoms. I used to have a lot of information on it that I can look around for if you want.
#18 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 08:12 PM

Ideally, I'm planning a home birth with a midwife. If there are good reasons to be in a hospital, my midwife can practice there too, so for an early baby or something we'd go with that.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#19 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 PM

Hoping for a birth center baby. We'll find out soon when my post op records get reviewed. Fingers crossed really hard!
#20 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
A midwife would usually give you some things to try (like the Brewer Diet, maybe some herbs). If it's JUST high BP but no other issues that suggest pre-e (like if your bloodwork is fine and dandy), they may let you birth normally. They'd just watch you really closely for pre-e.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#21 of 46 Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM

We are planning a home waterbirth again (had one with ds3). The attendees will be my midwife, her assistant, my good friend/doula, my hubby and probably my mom. I am also hoping my kids will want to watch. We will see!

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#22 of 46 Old 11-07-2008, 11:51 AM

We originally were planning a HBAC but since we'd have to pay out of pocket we couldn't do it with how tight money is. So I took some advice and starting see a highly recommended midwife who does hospital births and I absolutely LOVE her. I'm even rethinking my 'if I have to go to the hospital I'll be pushing on the way' because I think with her I'll really be able to get the birth I want, hospital or not.
Good luck to you all!

~Manda
#23 of 46 Old 11-07-2008, 12:49 PM

I have had two c-sections and was induced for blood incompatibility with my hospital vba2c. I really wanted to go med-free, but got the epi about 33 hours into it. But I had him vaginally about three hours later :

If the blood incompatibility is an issue, the baby will be monitored for anemia and will have an in-hospital birth. I am hoping to find a care provider that is as cool about non-chemical induction as my last one was, if this is the case. If the baby doesn't have the antigen, I am planning a homebirth. A dear friend who is a midwife back in my hometown has agreed to stay here a couple of weeks :

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#24 of 46 Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 PM

I am planning a birth center birth, maybe with a doula (the midwives have 24 hour shifts, so you can get more than one if you labor over a shift change and maybe in the water. The idea of laboring in the water is wonderful to me, but I've never done it before so I'm not sure!
#25 of 46 Old 11-07-2008, 01:24 PM

another homebirth, most likely with the same midwife.
#26 of 46 Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Planning a home waterbirth.

DD 5/25/09 :
5/22/11
#27 of 46 Old 11-08-2008, 12:51 AM

Hospital birth with a midwife.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#28 of 46 Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:

I birthed first round in the hospital with a midwife. At my 40 week appt I had sky-high bp. As in 2 points below seizure. I was ordered to the hospital immediately (they wanted me to take an ambulance but I declined) for immediate induction. When my midwife very calmly told me that this was one of the leading causes for maternal morbidity I took her seriously. I managed to do hard labor, laying on my left side in bed while hooked up to pictocin, for over 20 hours with no drugs. Then I pushed for two!

PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension) is extremely rare. If you are birthing the second time with the same partner, your chances of getting it again are close to zero. I have read about the Brewer diet and while I didn't know about it at the time, I can tell you that my diet very closely resembled it. In my experience, your bp is what makes the difference in how it is handled at the time. High bp was my only symptom.

This time we are planning a home birth come hell or high water (well, almost ha). I am confidant I won't have any issues, and now I know I can do it and I think birthing at home will actually reduce my bp during labor so I have that on my side too.

My friend Sherri (also in this ddc) recently sent me a couple links so I'll pass them on
http://prenatal-health.suite101.com/...d_hypertension

http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#29 of 46 Old 11-08-2008, 07:24 PM

I'm in a new area for this birth, and the midwife that everyone recommended can't see me for my 1st appt until Dec so we decided to go with an OB that a doula friend of mine suggested. I'm having a hard time finding midwife who has availability and takes my insurance. I don't mind waiting for the midwife but she also only works 2 days a week the office told me. (she has twins herself)

So I'm probably having a doula+hospital birth (DS was preemie, induction) and perhaps an OB but we'll see. I really want a midwife...I might see the OB this month for an u/s/heartbeat,etc and then switch to the midwife for a Dec appt.

I go in Monday to talk to a rep from my insurance company to figure this all out. We are military so they REALLY push you to have the baby at the military hospital but that's totally off the table for me. BTDT and no way in heck again.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#30 of 46 Old 11-09-2008, 04:49 PM

We're planning a homebirth, with the pool there in case I want it. My last birth was a UC and it was awesome! I'd love to do it again, but I'm a surrogate so the decision isn't 100% mine. My IM (the baby's mom) is totally cool with a UC, but my IF (the dad) will be more comfortable with a mw. Our mw is a good friend of their's and she's cool with a UC and she knows I'd prefer it so she's really just going to be there in the background to make IF feel better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
Definitely have a pool there as an option. We never got the tub filled in time for dd's birth and I really wanted to get in that hot water the whole time I was laboring. I kept asking if it was full even when I was pushing!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page