Hungry in the middle of the night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this last week I've been waking up and not able to go back to sleep unless I get up and eat something. I'm only 6.5 weeks so this seems so early to be needing extra calories. I am still nursing kind of, but my milk is pretty much gone and dd just comfort nurses. I went to bed last night at 11pm and made sure to eat something that would hold me over. I had toast with cream cheese and a glass of raw milk. Then about 4 hours later I could not sleep because I was hungry and feeling low blood sugar like and shakey?? So I got up and drank some oj.

Anything I can do to help me sleep through the night without waking up hungry or is this just the way it's going to be? I really don't remember being this hungry so early with dd. Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 02:40 PM

That's how it is for me. I think it started around 6 weeks? I keep a sliced orange by the bed so I can snack every morning when I wake up between 4 and 6. If I go downstairs for a snack, I can't get back to sleep.
#3 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 03:41 PM

My midwife told me to keep snacks by my bed and eat something when I wake up to pee. It helps stabilize your blood sugar and helps with morning sickness. Oh, and sometimes I'm ravenous in the middle on the night!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#4 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 PM

I try to eat something high in protein right before I go to bed. If I do not I wake up feeling so sick and starving.
#5 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 04:34 PM

Oh gosh yes. I wake up STARVING at 2-3 every morning and have to hit the fridge. Tuesday I found myself bringing cold pizza back to bed with me... as I sat up in bed munching my leftover pizza at 2 in the morning I thought, "Wow, maybe I really AM pregnant!"

(You know, because two ultrasounds aren't confirmation enough. )

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#6 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 05:16 PM

I'm hungry in the middle of the night, too. Luckily, I wake up OK (not sick) even if I ignore it, though. Usually I can't get back to sleep with the hunger pangs, though, so I get something. Usually a yogurt/milk smoothie that I can gulp down quickly. With DS, I think I got up every single night for months to have a bowl of cereal and milk.
#7 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 05:31 PM

I've been in the same boat starting the past few nights (10 weeks today). I have been getting up to drink a glass of raw milk, but I think I'm going to get back to my old trick I learned with pregnancy #1 and that is to keep some raw, unsalted nuts by the bed to snack on. Decent protein and they won't go bad! My fave are cashews

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#8 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM

I keep a bowl of nuts by my bedside. I eat whenever I get up to pee.

still learning
#9 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the thread....I wake up so hungry too some nights!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#10 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Ditto. I woke at 1:30 am today (after eating enchiladas right before bed) and ate an entire meal before I felt well enough to return to sleep. I've been keeping dried fruit and nuts beside the bed, but it isn't always enough.
#11 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
crashing your DDC It gets worse....
I've always been a healthy eater and the other night I got up and ate about 5 Tbs of PB, a handful of cereal and an orange and went back to bed. Then had heart burn from the orange.

I can only see this getting worse...

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#12 of 13 Old 11-07-2008, 12:49 AM

with my first, i kept granola bars by the bed- until dh told me i was driving him nuts with the late night crunching! now i eat soft things, but i too have to eat most nights.
this actually came in handy for me after my ds was born. i think this is great proof to use later against those people who tell you your baby can't possibly be hungry in the middle of the night (aka you shouldn't be nursing at night etc). i know i cannot sleep when i am that hungry, why would i expect my baby to be able to?
#13 of 13 Old 11-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
Oh gosh yes. I wake up STARVING at 2-3 every morning and have to hit the fridge. Tuesday I found myself bringing cold pizza back to bed with me... as I sat up in bed munching my leftover pizza at 2 in the morning I thought, "Wow, maybe I really AM pregnant!"

(You know, because two ultrasounds aren't confirmation enough. )
Oh, you're too funny! :
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilv View Post
with my first, i kept granola bars by the bed- until dh told me i was driving him nuts with the late night crunching! now i eat soft things, but i too have to eat most nights.
this actually came in handy for me after my ds was born. i think this is great proof to use later against those people who tell you your baby can't possibly be hungry in the middle of the night (aka you shouldn't be nursing at night etc). i know i cannot sleep when i am that hungry, why would i expect my baby to be able to?
People are so dumb. I'd get hungry before I was pg, oh but I was/am night-nursing. But if you just think about how much babies are growing in the first couple of years, and then how many kids end up being picky eaters and trying to get them to eat, sheesh, I totally do not understand the "no eating at night."

ETA: I am so blonde! I totally forgot to say I love eating several spoons of PB and a glass of milk when I wake up at night.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page