Heartburn relief? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got heartburn so bad last night it made me feel way more sick than I ever have. I was in so much pain I could barely sleep, and even when I did sleep I dreamed I was in pain and trying to figure out a way to relieve it. Any ideas for how to make it better? I'm terrified to eat anything!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#2 of 18 Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Tums for me. I get heartburn really bad when I am pregnant. That and indigestion. I have to keep the tums on hand.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#3 of 18 Old 11-07-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

How many do you have to take? Because I took 4 in the middle on the night and it didn't seem to help.

#4 of 18 Old 11-07-2008, 02:58 PM

A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar has always done the trick for me.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#5 of 18 Old 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsMommy View Post
A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar has always done the trick for me.
I was going to say this. I know it sounds counter-intiutive, but this is the ONLY thing that helped my killer heartburn with DS. I only needed a teaspoon and it chases really easily with plain water.

For mild heartburn, paypaya enzyme tablets are good.

Repositioning can help a bit once the babies are bigger. Get on hands and knees and it seems to take some pressure off the stomach.

I'm not sure most midwives would recommend Tums or other OTC heartburn meds. I don't remember why, though.
#6 of 18 Old 11-08-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, if it gets bad again, I'll try the acv. I found that just avoiding certain foods and the papaya tablets work well. I also discovered that the candy hot tamales works! I read it online and decided to get some, and it helped my mild hb this afternoon.

#7 of 18 Old 11-08-2008, 12:05 PM

raw almonds. I know it sounds weird but a handful totally works and they are really good for you too. My DH has all kinds of stomach problems and he researched this. I've been using them all this first trimester with good results.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#8 of 18 Old 11-08-2008, 07:09 PM

I've just been taking Tums or Rolaids, and it's really tomato based stuff that's doing it.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#9 of 18 Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 PM

I definitely vouch for apple cider vinegar and almonds. When I'm having trouble with heartburn or reflux, I take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in the morning, either straight, or mixed in a glass of water. It's actually not bad. And I just eat an almond or two as needed. I also sometimes sleep on a wedge pillow that elevates my head about 4 inches.

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

#10 of 18 Old 11-08-2008, 10:15 PM

Totally crashing here...but another vote for ACV! Love the stuff! Be sure to get organic unflitered ACV, like Braggs. You can find them at natty food stores or the natty section at supermarkets. I dilute mine w/ water and chug that and it works each time. Plus acv is one of the best things you can drink for your body...it's also great for when you're sick and has SO many wonderful benefits! It is basically a cure all for many ailments as well. If you like you can drink it w/ herbal tea and some honey as well.

Almonds are great too..b/c they have so much protein and having enough protein can really stop heartburn as well.

good luck and I hope you find some relief soon
#11 of 18 Old 11-09-2008, 01:20 AM

I don't have organic or unfiltered ACV in my pantry, would the regular stuff not do the trick? I had a slice of pizza w/DH for lunch and I'm regretting it now...uggg...

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#12 of 18 Old 11-09-2008, 03:52 PM

I've had reflux for years and around 7 months in my last pregnancy I started having gall bladder problems which made the reflux almost unbearable. After some research on my own (since the only "solution" the doctor had was to remove my gall bladder) I started taking dandelion root, milk thistle and ginger extracts daily for a while. Haven't had any issues with my gall bladder since and my reflux is practically non-existent. If I eat something that triggers it just some DR extract in a glass of water usually helps it go away. This has worked so much better than the prescription Aciphex I was on which only helped when I was taking it but the reflux came back if I didn't.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#13 of 18 Old 11-09-2008, 11:08 PM

Try papaya enzyme. It worked about half of the time for me last pregnancy. Tums never worked for me. I resorted to Zantac about once a week when it got really terrible.

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
#14 of 18 Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
I don't have organic or unfiltered ACV in my pantry, would the regular stuff not do the trick? I had a slice of pizza w/DH for lunch and I'm regretting it now...uggg...
You know from what i've heard that doesn't really work well for much, other than salad dressing, etc. It is not medicinal quality for sure but if you're willing to try...then who know? Maybe?
I'd pick some of the good stuff up next time you're out. It is great to have on hand, especially in cold and flu season (drinking some each day can keep you from getting sick too). Good luck mama!
#15 of 18 Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM

I ate lemon balm leaves from my garden with ds and dd... they work really well, as did the acv every day.

naughty, bad, cruel tomato sauce

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.
#16 of 18 Old 11-12-2008, 02:10 PM

Do you take the ACV before you get heartburn, or after? I tried it last night, but I already had a bit of heartburn, so maybe it was too late? I had to resort to Tums, which do seem to work, but I'd rather not take them all the time, as I know they can gradually make it worse over time.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#17 of 18 Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 PM

I tried a teaspoon of ACV and it was evil, horrible, awful stuff. And it didn't work. It burned, though. And made me cough and gag.

Ewwww.
#18 of 18 Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherh View Post
I tried a teaspoon of ACV and it was evil, horrible, awful stuff. And it didn't work. It burned, though. And made me cough and gag.

Ewwww.
I mixed a teaspoon in to a glass of water and it wasn't bad. If I breathed in, it smelled vinegary, but if I didn't smell it, it just tasted like weak apple juice. I don't think I could take it straight up either!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page