Heartbeat on doppler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When can I expect to be able to hear a heartbeat on a doppler. I am trying to reassure myself that I don't need an early ultrasound and I can just wait to hear the heartbeat.

Last baby, we saw a heartbeat at 9 1/2 weeks via ultrasound, and two days later it was gone. I really want reassurance this time that the little one is ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 PM

I think if you are really concerned and want to know, you should set up an apt. with your doc or mw. I think its around week 10 or 12 ( I could be wrong since it was my first was the only one we just used a doppler first to hear the heartbeat) that you will be able to hear.

((HUGS)) Sorry you lost your first. Try to remain as positive as possible.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:45 PM

I heard my dd's hb at 10 weeks with the doppler we rented. I may do that again this time.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

Old 11-07-2008, 09:22 PM

depending on the megahertz of the doppler, it can be as early as 9 or 10 but as late as 13 weeks. so if you do opt for trying for the heartbeat before 13 weeks, it may give you false worry if you don't hear anything. good luck!

mama to my home birthed brothers
jack 10.13.05 gabriel kai 6.9.09
Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 PM

With my last pregnancy I found the heartbeat at 9 weeks with a doppler I rented. But I understand that's not the norm. And it was not easy to find either, it took a lot of patience and searching to find the exact tiny spot to hold it..

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
Old 11-08-2008, 01:50 AM

I saw a midwife today and I'm 10 1/2 weeks. She didn't think we'd be able to hear the heartbeat, so she pulled out a mini ultrasound machine. We were able to hear the heartbeat on it though (while looking at the baby)! I don't know if that's stronger than a doppler, but I was surprised that we could hear it so clearly!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
Old 11-08-2008, 09:50 AM

Most dopplers say 8-12 weeks is the timeframe. It all depends on the position of the uterus, your body style, and how quickly the baby is moving around. According to some of the doppler manufactureres there is a 70% chance of hearing the heartbeat at 10 weeks. good luck.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 PM

I have a very tilted uterus, so with our son on got an ultrasound at thirteen weeks, and on my next appointment at 17 or 18 weeks we got it with the doppler. I believe I'm an exception though. My uterus is so tipped that my cervix points straight up. I have to lift my hips way up for my midwife to see anything. Therefore the top of my uterus is way back.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmommy View Post
I have a very tilted uterus, so with our son on got an ultrasound at thirteen weeks, and on my next appointment at 17 or 18 weeks we got it with the doppler. I believe I'm an exception though. My uterus is so tipped that my cervix points straight up. I have to lift my hips way up for my midwife to see anything. Therefore the top of my uterus is way back.
It might straighten a lot sooner then your last pregnancy. My uterus is tipped, a little more then average but nothing extreme, and it is was already straight by the time I was six weeks this time.

User Tag List