Salt and weight recommendations from doc's office - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking over the info I got from the doctor's office at a nurse appt. (I have my first doctor's appt. scheduled in 2 weeks).

Two things I wonder about; the welcome paper from their office (not a generic brochure) says to:

1. "avoid salt (sodium) and salty foods"
2. "limit weight gain to 25 pounds for the entire 9 months"

I have read things both ways concerning the sodium. I do not eat an overly salty diet (limited/moderate chips, junk food, and added salt to cooking).
Also, "limiting" weight gain to 25 lbs. seems a little strict/unwise. MebMD (pretty mainstream, I'm guessing) says 25-35 lbs is good for average weight women. I started my pregnancy 5'6" and 118 lbs so I am on the lower end of healthy weight, I think. I have lost some weight (~2 lbs.) since becoming pregnant.

Is there any reason to believe these recommendations are inaccurate, out of date, not applicable to me?

I think I am subconsciously trying to find a reason to renew my midwife search. Other frustrations (I mentioned them in some other thread, i don't remember where) include nurse putting wrong due date (10 days off) on all my forms (I couldn't bring myself to lie about LMP)...we will see if doctor is willing to fix this. DH said something to the effect of "Well, if the doctor doesn't believe you about your due date maybe you're better off going somewhere else".

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 02:29 AM

Well I have craved mainly salty foods with all 6 pregnancies now and it never bothered me. And for the weight gain...I think as long as you are eating well and feeling good, then it should be fine. I was always told 35 lb. max for myself and I am 5' 2" and 115 lbs. I think if you start off your pregnancy being overweight then they want you to try to not gain so much. If they are pushy about the weight, then yes, I would keep searching. The last thing a pg mama needs is being told she is gaining too much.

Hope you find the exact place you need to be during this wonderful journey!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:50 AM

Hi there,

I think the 25 pounds thing is out of date, and especially since you are thin anyway, you definitely don't need to worry. I've never heard the salt restriction except for women having trouble with blood pressure and pre-eclampsia.

It sounds like you are not totally comfortable with this office, and if you have the option of shopping around for a better fit for you, go for it! The earlier the better so you can get a good relationship going with your provider.

Good luck!!

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

Old 11-11-2008, 10:18 AM

These restrictions are very out of date. I think it is always unwise to put a number on weight gain for pregnancy. I do not think there is any evidence about risks related to high weight gains. It will just take longer for you to lose it. I also know that limiting salt intake during pregnancy can actually increase your swelling. I think you can google that, but I read it in many of my pregnancy books.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 AM

I wouldn't go by the junk they hand you in office. I would ask the actually physician what they think. They can better look at you yourself and tell you how much they think you should gain. If they give you an absurdly low number and start to lecture then I would be out the door. I would also think of what as written should be worded around 15-25 pounds with a five to ten pound cushion. That way the woman that loses a ton of weight and then only gains 10 is doing ok. And the woman that gains 35 is doing ok as well. That is for the average woman thought. Not the underweight to begin with, or someone that is extremely overweight.

When I walked in to my OB office in June, and met one of the nurses I thought there was no way I was staying with them. She was rude and dismissive. Now that I've met my Midwife, several other nurses, one of the OB's I love this office! I'm so glad I stuck around past the first visit. I would give them an appointment or two to dazzle you before looking again.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Definitely out of date info, but typical of what an OB's office would say.

My first pregnancy, my midwife actually told me to ADD salt to my diet, because I wasn't eating enough salt. You need MORE salt during pregnancy. You want to get your salt from salting your food to taste though, and NOT from sodium-laden boxed/prepared foods. Big difference there! The latter will cause swelling, and the former will help prevent it. FWIW, the only swelling I've ever had in pregnancy was the last 2 days before I gave birth with baby #2 - my feet swelled up a bit. I've never had to take my rings off during pregnancy (although probably will this time because I got them resized smaller this summer - oops!).

For weight gain... With baby #2, I started out at 197 (I'm 5'9"), so overweight. I gained a total of 35 lbs (I'm in the range where "they" recommend only gaining 15!!!). My OB and my midwife both said nothing negative about the weight gain. A *good* provider should not dwell on weight. Some women gain a lot of weight but lose it right away after birth. Some women gain very little weight and it never comes off! I gained more with #2 than I did with #1 (although he came early - I actually gained the same amount during the time that #1 was in me), and after #2, the weight just fell off. I ended up weighing less than when I started with #1!

The important thing is to eat well. If you're gaining a ton of weight but you're eating junk, then you need to change your eating. If you're eating a healthy diet and gaining weight, keep doing what you're doing.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 11-11-2008, 11:45 AM

My OB had similar silly "rules"
I gained too much weight over the course of my first pregnancy, and always got reprimanded at my appointments.

My midwives had me follow the Brewer diet for my last pregnancy and if I'm remembering correctly one guideline is to "Salt food to taste for a safe increase in blood volume."

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM

From what I’ve heard they are the new recommendations. I'm in my maternity rotation right now and we are telling women with BMI's over 30 not to gain ANY weight and everyone else to gain no weight their first trimester and then about 1 pound every week during their 2nd and 3rd trimester.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 PM

No more then 25 lbs seems outdated... My midwife last time and OB this time said the average is 25-35 pounds but to not worry too much about it.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Yes. The "war on obesity" is a pile of b.s. and this weight limit is a part of that. There are actually doctors out there agitating to make the official recommendation for obese women (me included; I have a belly pic up from yesterday so you can see just how disgustingly fat I am) to LOSE weight during pregnancy, not even gain a single pound.

I say eat mindfully and ignore weight limits.

As for salt, I have rather low blood pressure and if I cut back on my salt I start getting dizzy. So, again, I'll be ignoring that one.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 PM

I forgot to mention that my OB told me the main reason for keeping weight down was "so you don't have as much to lose after the baby"

I never had any (weight related) health issues during pregnancy, and the weight came off incredibly fast from nursing.

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
Old 11-11-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaBreadGirl View Post
I think I am subconsciously trying to find a reason to renew my midwife search. Other frustrations (I mentioned them in some other thread, i don't remember where) include nurse putting wrong due date (10 days off) on all my forms (I couldn't bring myself to lie about LMP)...we will see if doctor is willing to fix this. DH said something to the effect of "Well, if the doctor doesn't believe you about your due date maybe you're better off going somewhere else".
Listen to your heart and your husband. They sound wise

WRT to the weight gain thing, from what I've seen, consciously restricting weight can affect how much you eat and how much baby grows. If you're eating a healthy diet and gain more than you "should" but baby's healthy that seems like an OK thing to me.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Why, during pregnancy are we all supposed to be almost exactly the same? Nobody expects all women to weigh exactly the same at any other time of their lives.

Some women gain more than others. I started out at about 130 with both my first two. I gained 35+ lbs and with both. They were healthy, weighing 7 pounds 15 oz. I was down under 130 within four months without dieting at all (the magic of breastfeeding). I started out at 135 this time around, as I am a bit older. I am 11 weeks, and have gained 10 pounds. I am not worried. I am hungry a lot, I eat a lot. I try to eat healthily. I just listen to my body. My midwife hasn't said a thing about it.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:55 PM

I was your size with #1 and #2 and I was told to gain closer to the 35 lbs because you are actually on the underweight side. I have never gone term but I think I ended up gaining about 30 lbs both time.

Now I'm starting out bigger...138lbs this time.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the thoughtful advice everyone. I guess I plan on salting to taste, as usual, and eating for how hungry I feel, as usual, (which is quite hungry, these last few days) and giving the doctor (he's a family doctor, not an OB) a chance to prove himself with the due date etc. at my actual appointment.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 PM

I tend to believe that as long as you keep to a normal healthy pregnancy diet (course we all fall off the wagon at times and pig out...pregnant women do that, you know?) then you'll gain the amount of weight you're supposed to for your body. I don't think there's a set restriction (ie: 25 lbs.) and I think that you'll gain what you gain providing you're smart about eating.
I gained 40 lbs. with my first pregnancy and was tipping the scales at 215 when I went into labor. I ate healthy but definitely indulged in my cravings too.

~Manda

User Tag List