tell me it okay to just let this go.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DD in Kinder she brings a lunch and snack from home to school. Her snack is now eaither Annies cheeder buny crackers or a bannana thats all she wants anything else gets sent back untouched. Why am I having such a hard time with this?? Its just a snack a little pick me up to get through the rest of the day if she wants crackers or a bannana why worry. While neither sncak is highly nutritous neither is horrid eaither. Its really my own hang up I hat e being told to eat the same thing more than twice I crave variety so its hard for me to get day in and out of the same thing... I try diffrent crackers or say the gram bunny crackers or such just to change it up a little or say apple or grapes instead of the bannana all these things she likes but no its must be cheeder bunny crackers or the occasional bannana. SO please tell me its all in my head its perfectly okay to send her with the same snack day in and out and quite worrying about it.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it's ok to let it go; she'll expand her menu in due time; don't worry!

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#3 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 AM

It's perfectly ok to send her with the same snack, day in and day out

My ds has vanilla yogurt every single day for snack. His k. teacher has even joked with him about it, and he laughs. I think his answer was, "yup, i sure do love vanilla yogurt!"

She's happy, she's fed, no problems!

Mama to my 2 boys
#4 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 AM

Seriously, a banana is one of the most nutritionally dense fruits there are. So it IS a nutritious snack. I can understand you wanting her to branch out a bit, but what she's eating sounds fine. She'll get there.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
Seriously, a banana is one of the most nutritionally dense fruits there are. So it IS a nutritious snack. I can understand you wanting her to branch out a bit, but what she's eating sounds fine. She'll get there.
YEa the bannana doesn't bug me as much. It took a lot of convincing to make the bannana the other option she'd be perfectly happy with the bunny crackers everyday.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#6 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 AM

It's okay to let this go, octorbermom. Those sound like great snacks to me. Could be much, much worse ... like a bag of chips or Twinkies ...
#7 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokea View Post
It's okay to let this go, octorbermom. Those sound like great snacks to me. Could be much, much worse ... like a bag of chips or Twinkies ...
WHAT? Twinkies aren't real food?? HUH?

Deanna

#8 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokea View Post
I agree!!! I think both are great snacks.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#9 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

YEa I know your right I just can't wrap my head around someone wanting the exact same things day in and out... She the same with her lunches
eaither PB and J or Turkey sandwhich
eaither oranges or peaches
eaither carrots or crackers
eaither grape juice or milk (plus she always carries a water bottle)
Thats it can not change...

Deanna

#10 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 06:26 PM

It's probably a sense of security to her to have the same snack every day, like her little ritual. Comfort food if you will.:

I carried a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to school every day from first grade through high school. EVERY day. And I didn't just turn out OK, I turned out great!

Let it go!
#11 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 06:35 PM

My younger dd eats a chocolate brownie Clif Z bar every day for snack. Nothing else will do. I've learned to let it go since it's sort of healthy and most of what she has the rest of the day is healthy. And this has been going on for over a year.
#12 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM

My kids are the same way with their lunches. DS2 wants peanut butter and jelly EVERY day. I think it would drive me crazy to eat the same thing every day, but it's what he wants....

I'm sure your DD will let you know when she's ready for a change.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#13 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
2xy

Nutritious food is only good for you if it gets eaten.

Bananas are great and cheddar bunnies are okay. Don't sweat the small stuff.
#14 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I carried a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to school every day from first grade through high school. EVERY day. And I didn't just turn out OK, I turned out great!
SHE is pretty fantastic..

Deanna

#15 of 24 Old 12-02-2008, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds has had for lunch every day since September 2nd (yes, 3 whole months):

1/2 a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
an apple
goldfish
carrots
water.

Every day for 3 months. Dh said he was just like this in school. Apparently, knowing what to expect made life much easier for him. Ds is easily overstimulated and I think having a very predictable lunch makes his life easier.

Feel better?

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#16 of 24 Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 AM

you knwo what dd gets for breakfast?
*oh dear god..cowering from the shame of it*

A toaster strudel.

completely devoid of nutrition, chock full of processed non-food ingredients and about 4 forms of sugar and sugar alternatives....HFCS, trans fat....

It's the only thing that makes the morning pleasant.
she fought, screamed, yelled, hit, fought and was awful before we stumbled across the magical toaster strudel. Now she gets up, gets dressed, lets me do her hair, puts her shoes and and gleefully runs out to the car in anticipation of getting to eat her toaster strudel in the car on the way to school.

see? Don't you feel so much better now? you aren't a bad parent, I am, LOL!

CPST
#17 of 24 Old 12-03-2008, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

My DH works late every Tuesday so its just DD and myself for dinner so EVERY Tuesday she gets a bowl of Kraft easy Mac N cheese stawberry milk and a popsicle .. The peace makes every bite worth it.. :
Deanna

#18 of 24 Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 AM

You could always keep those two items the same, and add a 3rd item that changes from time to time. Tell her its just for fun, if she doesn't want to eat it that she doesn't have to. Eventually, maybe, she'll find something else she loves as well! But if not, no harm done either.
#19 of 24 Old 12-03-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I agree. When my DD was in kindergarten last year she took the same snack almost every day as well. I think bananas are a good choice because they are so tasty but yet very filling.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#20 of 24 Old 12-11-2008, 05:07 PM

I know what you mean about variety, but it might not bother your DD at all. My DH would be PERFECTLY happy with the same 7 dinners all the time. In fact, his breakfast, which fixes and grocery shops for is identical every day.

And not to get all psycho-babble on you, but she may be comforted by the familiarity and control of having the same thing every day. School can be full of surprises and change. The same snack is probably good for her.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#21 of 24 Old 12-12-2008, 03:19 AM

When I saw the title of this thread I thought.....oh, I hope someone is having the same KG snack issues that I am. Ok, not exactly, mine are worse!

The school has gone through a big nutrition program, which we are totally cooperating with. The teacher - we love her otherwise - gives things like Apple Bits (aka Fruit Loops) and chocolate chip cookies for snack. Ok, not every day, but several times a week.

I already complained to the teacher. I already asked how I could help and she said she tries to fit the snack with the letter of the week and if I had ideas, that would help. I sent a list of ideas. Anyway, c'mon, how hard is 'C': carrots, cheese, crackers, etc. You don't have to jump to cookies.

We talked about this with DS and told him cookies were not good food. He could tell right away that we were criticizing his teacher and he started to cry. He adores her and he loves school. It is ok to let this go, right? He's learning tons and he's happy and the snack thing is our only real complaint.

Working to let it go........
#22 of 24 Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And not to get all psycho-babble on you, but she may be comforted by the familiarity and control of having the same thing every day. School can be full of surprises and change. The same snack is probably good for her.

Deanna

#23 of 24 Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 PM

My Dd started montessori preschool in August and we had to start packing her lunch for her. For the first 2 months I packed her the same lunch, more or less, but then a teacher made a comment I took to be rather snide about me sending the same thing each day. So I started mixing her lunch up and sending different things (all things she would eat at home mind you). BIG MISTAKE on my part. I think it's the security thing of being comforted by at least knowing what will be in the lunch box.
I'm back to consistency at lunch for her sake!
#24 of 24 Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 AM

I happen to love Annie's Bunny Crackers. Cheddar *or* whole wheat, ftr.

And doesn't anyone remember Harriet the Spy? She ate tomato sandwiches everyday at school for years!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page