Mothering Forum banner

how many hours of sleep does your 10 year old need?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Linda on the move 
#1 ·
We are working on bedtimes/getting up times for school. We used to homeschool, and my DD was on a natural sleep schedule. I'm really not sure if she is getting enough sleep now or not. She is tired in the mornings, but doesn't seem tired during the day.

I'm curious how much sleep other kids her age who attend school get during a typical night.

#6 ·
My 9.5 y/o goes to bed at 8 and wakes up at at 7:30. She reads in bed and probably doesn't fall asleep until 9, though. My 8 y/o is asleep at 8 and wakes up at 7.

So, about 11 hours.

#7 ·
Thank you! My DD is asleep by about 10:15, which sounded so much later to me than other kids' bedtimes, but she doesn't have to get up until 7:30, which is later than a lot of other kids get up times. Also, I don't count "bedtime" until the time she is actually asleep. The reading and such just doesn't count. She's out less than 10 minutes after her light is turned off. She is tired when she first gets up, but doesn't seem tired once she is fully awake, and she is little ball of energy all day.

So, I guess she is doing just fine! Thanks!

#9 ·
my older two kids who are in school have been getting about 10 hrs of sleep per night. Sometimes 11 or 12 depending on what time they go to bed. Usually they are asleep around 10 pm and they get up 8:00-8:15 am. Other nights they pass out between 8-9 it just depends on what's going on. Luckily, school doesn't start until 9 so this works for our family (DH and I stay up much later than 10 pm.

ETA: my kids are a bit younger than yours so I imagine as they get older they need less sleep?

#10 ·
They do need less sleep as they get older, and every child is different. When we homeschooled, her sleep schedule was all over the place and I never really payed much attention to it. Now, though, it really matters.

We start getting ready for bed at 9, but that includes laying things out for the morning, brushing teeth, washing faces, etc., reading a chapter of a book as a family, and a little private reading time before lights out. Lights are out about 10, and then falls asleep within minutes.

It seems that some parents (not on Mothering, but IRL) who talk about 8:30 bedtimes have kids who are routinely awake much, much later than that. The bed time is all about when the child has to be alone in their room, not really a reflection of how much the child is sleeping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.