Organization strategies for 4th grader - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2008, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A young friend's parents are at a loss to help their daughter with some class problems. She keeps losing points in class for forgetting her to put her name on her paper on tests and in class work, and she often forgets to hand in completed homework from her folder.

It's a big math class, 29, teaching 2 levels at once. Her dad observed and she's easily distracted in class, her longest uninterrupted attention for like 2.5 minutes. He's prone to treat this with medication, but I didn't think it was helpful last year. Outside of school I find her attention span normal, and she's a huge reader.

Has anyone had similar problems and found anything that worked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 03:32 AM

fourth grade, you could probably write "name" on her hand on test days. or practice writing her name on papers at home randomly.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Does she have an IEP? I taught special education in middle school and organization was a huge problem for many of the children that I worked with.

There are a lot of really good strategies-perhaps she could work with the resource teacher at her school to get her on track.

Maybe something as simple as having her sit up front for math class would be helpful.

Perhaps she could use a daily checklist with a dry erase marker
1. Make sure name is on papers.
2. Turn in assignments.
3. Write down tonight's homework in your agenda.

It depends on her learning style. Is she more visual or auditory? These are things that she needs to start learning about herself so she can advocate for herself later on.

If she is only having issues in math and not in other subjects perhaps she has a disability in that particular area. Or maybe it is just a product of how that particular teacher conducts the class. That seems like a really large class for 4th grade and with two different levels being taught, maybe it is just really overwhelming. Maybe a certain level of independence is expected and she just isn't there maturity wise yet-that is still pretty young.

Hope this helps a bit.

User Tag List