meditation in school - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogal View Post
progressive relaxation is used in many treatment centers for many different things... and im sure there are places of employment that make these things available to their staff..

mediating is so cool! I really dont get how anyone can be against levitating?
I'm not against it per se. I'm against it in a public school setting. If people want to teach their kids how to meditate at home, more power to them.
#32 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogal View Post
closing your eyes and breathing is against your beliefs?
#33 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcat View Post
It is spiritual to me, and my child would not be participating. It's against our religion.
I'm confused by that, though. Because you're the one putting the spiritual twist to it...not necessarily the person doing it.

I'd love to have been able to do that. "Math is too spiritual for me. Sorry! Not participating." *grin*
#34 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
People choose the school because of its nature,
Bingo. (emphasis added)

Whole different can of worms when it's in a public school and there's no opt out. But, I don't know that there is no opt out.

I'm one of those that thinks public schools should stick to the three R's and leave worldview and parenting to the discretion of the parents.
#35 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 PM

I don't see much of a difference between doing a guided meditation and reading the children a story and having them close their eyes to visualize the content.
#36 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBronsil View Post
I'm confused by that, though. Because you're the one putting the spiritual twist to it...not necessarily the person doing it.

I'd love to have been able to do that. "Math is too spiritual for me. Sorry! Not participating." *grin*
I said, to ME it is spiritual. It is used in some religions. it really doens't matter why it's against my beliefs, it is, and my child would not be participating.
#37 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds View Post
Bingo. (emphasis added)

Whole different can of worms when it's in a public school and there's no opt out. But, I don't know that there is no opt out.

I'm one of those that thinks public schools should stick to the three R's and leave worldview and parenting to the discretion of the parents.
If I could find a public school with the loving consciousness of this school, we would most certainly send our son there. BTW, we did check out other public schools recently and our little school is more advanced academically, despite the fact they are taught "frivolous" stuff like meditation.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#38 of 39 Old 02-23-2009, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBronsil View Post

My son doesn't think sitting in meditation is the least bit spiritual. Neither does he think Miksang (contemplative photography) is. He thinks it is great fun and really doesn't grasp the deep nature of the practice. He and his classmates produced some very artistic and impressive pieces of photography when they were let loose with cameras.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#39 of 39 Old 02-24-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds View Post
I wonder how this is being implemented in the classrooms exactly. It doesn't sound just like a moment of silence. Here it sounds a bit like guided meditation:

http://www.parkdayschool.org/1340103...te/default.asp
In my class, we do breathing exercises and VERY simple guided visulaization. Since it is an art class, I will often show the children the project that we are going to be working on (a fish swimming under water, for example) and then have them close their eyes and imagine their fish under water. I ask them to imagine where he is going, what he looks like, what sort of a personality he has, etc.

And btw, we have no "opt out" option. I had no idea that anyone would be bothered by quiet imagination or reflection.

A bit of this, a bit of that... a mish-mash quilt of a mama to Oliver (2/3/05) and Lilah (2/5/07) and Silas (9/8/09) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page