My dd is blowing off one small part of her schoolwork! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2003, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am amazed. My normally type-A dd is blowing off one small part of her schoolwork. I'm not sure what to think!

Dd goes to French Immersion school. She's 9 years old, and in Grade 4, which is the first year in which she's received instruction in English. We speak English at home, but in school all her lessons are in French, except for English period, which is 40 minutes per day.

So, it turns out that dd has been doing all her homework except work on her dictee (French language spelling) and her marks on the dictee tests have been terrible. When I asked her about it, she said that she hates doing the studying and that she'd rather get a rotten mark on the dictee tests.

WWYD? Her work is otherwise exemplary. She regularly receives "Good Citizen" awards. Her teacher has not mentioned this aberration, and her teacher is really on the ball and truly wants every student to succeed.

All comments and advice welcome! TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2003, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
bestjob, I was curious, is she a good speller in english? I have had french and am familiar with french spelling and it is perplexing why she'd have more difficulty with it than english. If she's doing well with everything else, it might be sort of a mental block or something. In other words, she perceives it as hard, therefore it 'becomes' hard, and the things she says to herself while she's doing it make it feel harder. I have been this way with math. Have you every tried any Brain Gym exercises? They are helpful for trying to remove these frustrating experiences and replace them with feelilngs of competence. I have been wanting to research it again for my son who gets 'stuck' a lot with homework. I used to do these techniques for myself when I was younger and in college. They are based on movement and learning. (if you want to check it out, look at www.braingym.org)

Old 12-19-2003, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think she really does find the French spelling that much harder than the English spelling. I think it is a case that the French just isn't as appealing to her now that she's had a chance to work in English. One thing I've stressed since she started school is that she's there for the education, not the marks. I knew this day would come... I just thought it would happen in high school, not Grade 4!
Old 12-19-2003, 06:06 AM

I think I would talk to the teacher and bring it to her attention and find out how important it is. If you yourself can wrap your brain around why it is important that your daughter invest the energy in her dictee than you should share your opinion with her. If you don't necessarily see the value in it yourself you might have a harder time convincing your daughter. Sounds like she's quite the independent thinker. Good job!

meredith

User Tag List