How would you handle this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is in 1st gr. after being hsed for preschool and kinder. I have older dc, that I have also hsed,and are also in school.

At the start of the year, I explained to ds's teacher, that we had been hsing, ds had experienced lots of social interactions-especially sports teams,been involved with lots of enriching experiences, and that he has been brought up in a very enriching environment. We also informed her, that ds has many gifts( as do ALL dc), but he hadn't been showing any interest in formal learning-and that was ok with us, as we know he is bright-just wasn't quite "there" yet,with desk type work.

Ok. With that being said, we let her know, that ds is very athletic(for his age), and we were passionate about him getting recess everyday. We explained very frankly, that unless he was showing inappropriate social skills(likie hitting someone,etc), he was to ALWAYS go to recess. To make sure she understood *exactly*, my dh said ds was not to be kept inside for any school work type of reason-like not finishing his work.

After the first month, I set up a meeting with the teacher, to see how things were going. We met, and she had everything great to say about him-except that he was near the bottom of the class in reading. She said he could go to reading enrichment, with two other dc, and that would help. I told her that we were not concerned at all, that we saw he was progressing, and his transition into a school setting was more important. I told her that I would work extra on the weekends with him, to help him with his reading.

Then came the first conference. The same things were said. I asked about the reading enrichment, and she said it wouldn't be a coonsistent thing for him,at that time,as they were working on JA, and that would mean that he would only meet with the reading teacher once a month. We made it very clear, that we felt he was making wonderful progress with reading, we would continue to spend more time reading on the weekends-but if she felt that he *really* needed help-to please call or email us.

Conferences are next week. Today, ds came home, and said he only got one recess, as he had to go do extra reading practice with a different teacher. I asked him if he was given the choice to go to recess, and he said no, and was upset about it.

When talking about it with dh tonight, I told him, that as one of the room moms, I had a feeling that the teacher perhaps viewed ds as not needing extra recess,as he uses self control and is self disciplined-not rolling around on the floor, running around the room,etc. the way some of the other dc were.But! That still does not excuse the teacher's lack of communication with us! He has made excellent progress, in such a short time! Today was a beautiful day to be outside, and he was unfairly kept in.

Dh and I wanted to rip into the teacher, before she left the bldg, but decided to wait till our anger calmed down....so first thing Monday AM, we would rip into her.

What would you do?

(Thank you!)
#2 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:13 AM

I dunno exactly what I would do, but I certainly wouldn't "rip into her". Maybe just say something like "even though ds may not demonstrate it at school, ds really needs his outdoor time. I thought I made it clear at the beginning of the year that he is not to be kept indoors for school work but I guess that was a miscommunication. We don't want him kept in for recess for doing any sort of school work, only if he demonstrates inappropriate social behaviors such as hitting."
#3 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:30 AM

I *totally* understand your point of view and your requests, but IME public schools aren't set up for those sorts of requests.

It's all well and good that you want him to have recess and think his reading is fine, but the *system* is set up to give extra reading practice to all kids that meet a set of criteria that your son meets. That extra practice is during recess and that's just the way it is.

Good luck working out a set up that is best for your son

-Angela
#4 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, Thanks!

Yeah,"rip into her" is just the mamabear talking....I'm not really a "rip into her" kind of person-usually!

Angela-this is a private school-I should have disclosed that. Yep, we pay for our dc's school and public.

Anyone else?
#5 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed mommy View Post
Hey, Thanks!

Yeah,"rip into her" is just the mamabear talking....I'm not really a "rip into her" kind of person-usually!

Angela-this is a private school-I should have disclosed that. Yep, we pay for our dc's school and public.

Anyone else?
Ah, well, then you might have LESS of a chance then. Are they full? Do they have a wait list? A private school that's in demand is likely to tell you to stick it. A private school that is hurting will probably work with you if you make a big enough stink.

good luck!

-Angela
#6 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:54 AM

I kind if agree with Angela in a way. While you may think your son is making fine progress with Reading, he may not be hitting certain benchmarks that students in your school/state are expected to make. And that could have consequences for the teacher or school. NCLB stuff.

When I taught 4th grade, I had to sit down with my principal after stan testing and explain to him why individual students didn't score well. It was literally like "Johnny missed the benchmark in math by X points. Why? How come Susie made it, but Johnny didn't? What did you do?" : And this was before NCLB.

IME, Public schools also think of everything in terms of liability, so someone at the school is probably thinking that if your child is not provided the extra help, and then doesn't progress and there is some consequence down the road, then you'll come back and sue. "Why didn't you help my child when you knew he was struggling?" Not that you would do this, but someone thinks you might.

I work in a HS now, and it happens all the time. We see what might be a problem and notify the parents and make a recommendation.... parents don't communicate and/or don't follow through and it's like talking at a black hole.... then the kid fails the class or gets suspended or expelled. Then all of a sudden mom and dad are all over the place "How come nobody told me?!?!?" Ugh.

ANYWAY.... I would not rip the teacher a new one. She may have had less input into the decision than you think. I would approach her as simply getting more info. "Johnny mentioned that he had an extra reading class the other day. Could you tell me more about this? I was a little surprised because I thought after our last meeting we were going to hold off on this. Did something change? How often will this class be? Is there any way he can have this class and still keep his recess?"

If you're uncomfortable with the extra help after getting all the facts, ask what you need to do to have him taken out. Offer to sign a form or something or talk to the principal.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#7 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:55 AM

I'm not sure, but I don't think there's much you can really do in this situation. I know recess is important but he is still getting the one, right? If it's the teacher/school's policy to keep kids in who are behind on any given subject, they are unlikely to make an exception in your child's case.

I guess I'm just thinking about it with regards to what my DD's class does. If the kids don't have their homework finished by Monday (it's only once a week so they've had 7 days to complete it) then they stay inside for one recess to work on it. I just can't see myself complaining if my DD had to miss recess to catch up on her work. I may not like it or agree with it (I actually don't care for homework at all!) but it's a good school and tend to go along with their rules unless I feel like it's truly harmful for my child. If I had any major concerns, I wouldn't hesitate to pull them out.

Is it every day that he would miss the one recess or just occasionally/temporarily for this program?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

OK, these are good questions and insights to think/ask about.

Our older dc,are straight A students, w/o needing homework, so in terms of ds perhaps bringing the curve down for his class, my other two are doing the pulling.

The recess is a big thing, as there are actually three recesses many days-and today would have been one of those days...except they had a school assembly.

I know that this issue isn't nearly as huge as some on this forum, but,it's huge to us-as ds thrives in the outdoors.

The school is full for only two grades-neither of which our dc are in.

Thanks for the help and support!
#9 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 AM

If you decide to pursue this, I would create the following type note (and yes, I would do a note, oral communications are more likely to be forgotton or miscommunicated)

Dear xyz,

Our family highly values outdoor play. There are many reasons we picked this school - and the 3 recesses were one of them.

As such we were disappointed to learn DS was kept in during recess to work on reading.

DP and I request that all our children be allowed to go to recess unless losing recess is a consequence for a serious breach of behaviour (i.e "hitting", foul language, etc).

Should there be a program that you feel our child will benefit from during recess please give us a call before having our child participate.

Thank you for your co-operation in this matter - and if there are any questions or comments, please contact me at : 123-4567

Sincerely,

abc
#10 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 12:32 PM

I am shocked and jealous that you have a school available with 3! recesses a day.

1 a day is standard here

-Angela
#11 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 12:56 PM

We've had positive experiences with private schools as far as general things go, mostly I think it's because we are paying them for a service, and expect to get our monies worth YK? I've found them to be very responsive IME.

OP:
What if you spin it a little bit.... The teacher is really trying to help your DC. They've recognized something they feel he could use some extra help with. As you are paying them to help educate your child, I'm hopeful they feel some responsibility toward that end goal and would like to think it is evident in their trying to get him some individualized assistance to that end.

That said is the issue with him missing recess or with them giving him extra help? Did I read that they offered and you declined it stating you would work with him at home? If they do feel some responsibility toward his education they might not be comfortable with that if he is not making forward progression. If you do not have an issue with him getting the assistance at school I would thank them for being so concerned and simply ask if there is another time other then recess where he may get that help. In many schools it is really a challenge for scheduling purposes to have someone come in and do that 1x1 work. He will always miss something unless they are able to do it after school (which you may have to pay extra for).

I would bring up the issue of communication separately, once the first issue is resolved. After speaking with the teacher regarding the timing issue on the reading work (when to do it, if to do it) I would email/write a note saying: "Thanks so much for your time and concern for our child. I really appreciate your efforts and assistance in working this out with us for our kiddo! If in the future you ever feel he needs some extra assistance in any area would you please contact us first so we can work this out prior to the start of any services? That would be most appreciated and would help us in being proactive rather then reactive. Thanks again!" The teacher may feel like she already did come to you though, so I would put the emphasis on the 'start of any services'. She may feel defensive either way....

I'm with you, I don't want my kids to miss recess at all. At our ODD's school kids are pulled out during other activities and not during recess. If they are getting help or enrichment in math they get pulled out when their class is doing math. If it's work on reading they get pulled out during reading time, writing: during language arts etc.. Many kids still feel like they miss something though, and I know it's a challenge for the school to try to schedule all the extra services. If they don't have the flexibility to do this, maybe they could schedule his reading work during recess but only on days where he also has PE, so he gets the physical activity if you wold be OK with that. If you don't have a problem with the extra help he could be getting, I would go in with some suggestions on when to do it....
#12 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:01 PM

I have seen kids who fell behind on reading. It is so very very important for kids not to fall behind in that area.

Our school systems are set up so that EVERYTHING depends on kids being at least at grade level for reading. Think about it, there are even things like word problems in math.

You seem really dismissive of the fact that his teacher thinks he has an issue with reading. If it's a private school (I attended one for my 1 to 12), and they come to believe you aren't on board, they can and will kick him out.

It sounds like you've been at 2 meetings with his teacher and refused to extra help she believes your son needs.
#13 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Ah, well, then you might have LESS of a chance then. Are they full? Do they have a wait list? A private school that's in demand is likely to tell you to stick it. A private school that is hurting will probably work with you if you make a big enough stink.
I don't agree, my ds goes to private school, and the staff take parents requests very seriously, so if I insisted he never miss recess (they don't have children miss recess for any reason that I know of including extra reading support, so it would be a moot point), then they would most certainly honor my request. Special ed is always done during regular class time, either in pull out alone, or in small groups, or within the classroom.

Quote:
I am shocked and jealous that you have a school available with 3! recesses a day.

1 a day is standard here
3 recesses are also standard at my ds's school.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#14 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
I kind if agree with Angela in a way. While you may think your son is making fine progress with Reading, he may not be hitting certain benchmarks that students in your school/state are expected to make. And that could have consequences for the teacher or school. NCLB stuff.
NCLB has no relevance with a private school. (Thank goodness).

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#15 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM

I think that from the first meeting on you seemed very unwilling to work with the school on anything by "demanding" that he never, ever miss recess. You are taking away the teacher's right and ability to handle her own classroom, which is looked down on. Also, if this private school is making enough money, they do not have to follow your demands and might just let your family go, which is something I would be worried about.

I think it is in every parents best interest to work with teachers. I am a teacher, so I know this firsthand. So many people in this forum have to practically beg their DC's teachers to meet with them, so when you have a teacher reaching out to you to help your child, that is wonderful.

Quote:

good luck!

-Angela
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I'm not sure, but I don't think there's much you can really do in this situation. I know recess is important but he is still getting the one, right? If it's the teacher/school's policy to keep kids in who are behind on any given subject, they are unlikely to make an exception in your child's case.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunKessed View Post
I have seen kids who fell behind on reading. It is so very very important for kids not to fall behind in that area.

Our school systems are set up so that EVERYTHING depends on kids being at least at grade level for reading. Think about it, there are even things like word problems in math.

You seem really dismissive of the fact that his teacher thinks he has an issue with reading. If it's a private school (I attended one for my 1 to 12), and they come to believe you aren't on board, they can and will kick him out.

It sounds like you've been at 2 meetings with his teacher and refused to extra help she believes your son needs.

:

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#16 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
If you decide to pursue this, I would create the following type note (and yes, I would do a note, oral communications are more likely to be forgotton or miscommunicated)

Dear xyz,

Our family highly values outdoor play. There are many reasons we picked this school - and the 3 recesses were one of them.

As such we were disappointed to learn DS was kept in during recess to work on reading.

DP and I request that all our children be allowed to go to recess unless losing recess is a consequence for a serious breach of behaviour (i.e "hitting", foul language, etc).

Should there be a program that you feel our child will benefit from during recess please give us a call before having our child participate.

Thank you for your co-operation in this matter - and if there are any questions or comments, please contact me at : 123-4567

Sincerely,

abc
Thanks! This was helpful!
#17 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

1 a day is standard here

-Angela
I know, it is absolutely wonderful! To be honest though, the third recess doesn't happen every single day-just on days when it is nice-and the third recess is usually really short-just enough time to "air the dc out."
#18 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXOLAX View Post
That said is the issue with him missing recess or with them giving him extra help? Did I read that they offered and you declined it stating you would work with him at home? If they do feel some responsibility toward his education they might not be comfortable with that if he is not making forward progression. If you do not have an issue with him getting the assistance at school I would thank them for being so concerned and simply ask if there is another time other then recess where he may get that help. In many schools it is really a challenge for scheduling purposes to have someone come in and do that 1x1 work. He will always miss something unless they are able to do it after school (which you may have to pay extra for).
Yeah, the issue is with him missing recess.

In that first meeting(just 4 weeks into school) she did bring up that he was behind in reading(which we knew),and offered the extra help. I declined at that point, as dh and I still felt that he was in a major transition time,coming from being hsed to at school all day.

At the first *real* conference, it was brought up again-though she did say that he would only get the extra help 1/month, due to JA. It didn't seem worth it, especially since we work with him a lot outside of school(mainly weekends).

(Thanks!)
#19 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Our ds is able to read instructions for all of his school work-including math problems.

Do I sound dismissive? Hmm. Maybe the teacher has taken this view also. I guess I feel that each time I have met with her, I have agreed with her, that he is behind in reading,and that we are very proactive in providing him extra help. While it could be an issue for the teacher, it isn't at all for us-unless it is for ds...as in he feels stupid compared to the rest of his peers.

And, if it really is an issue with the teacher, we told her to email or call us if he wasn't progressing enough, or that she really felt he needed extra help.

Please read my above post, that explains why we declined the extra help early on.
#20 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the issue is with him missing recess.

In that first meeting(just 4 weeks into school) she did bring up that he was behind in reading(which we knew),and offered the extra help. I declined at that point, as dh and I still felt that he was in a major transition time,coming from being hsed to at school all day.

At the first *real* conference, it was brought up again-though she did say that he would only get the extra help 1/month, due to JA. It didn't seem worth it, especially since we work with him a lot outside of school(mainly weekends).

(Thanks!)
I do think you sound very dismissive of a potentially serious problem.

4 weeks if plenty of time for a kid to adjust to grade 1. So by the second conference - that should no longer be an excuse as to why you didn't want him to get any help.

And if you're really working with him alot - and he's still behind in reading - then he sounds like he really does need the extra help.
#21 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:

4 weeks if plenty of time for a kid to adjust to grade 1. So by the second conference - that should no longer be an excuse as to why you didn't want him to get any help.

And if you're really working with him alot - and he's still behind in reading - then he sounds like he really does need the extra help.
I am find this a tad judgmental. I am sure the OP knows her own child and whether his reading is a "potentially serious problem" or not. If he is able to read instructions, then it can't be that bad. Children learn to read at different speeds, and often boys are on the slower side. As for adjusting to 1st grade, again, some children take longer than others to adjust to school life, and I don't think she has said anywhere that she doesn't want him to get help, just that for the time being they were helping him at home. I am sure the OP is very open to her child getting help, but I [personally] see no reason why that help can't be given during class-time rather than recess.

#22 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Sorry if that sounded judgemental.

I'm just a bit confused as to why she seems more concerned about her son missing 1 recess than the fact that at 2 meeting in a row his teacher has expressed concern over his reading level that she has dismissed.
#23 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
I think that from the first meeting on you seemed very unwilling to work with the school on anything by "demanding" that he never, ever miss recess. You are taking away the teacher's right and ability to handle her own classroom, which is looked down on. Also, if this private school is making enough money, they do not have to follow your demands and might just let your family go, which is something I would be worried about.

I think it is in every parents best interest to work with teachers. I am a teacher, so I know this firsthand. So many people in this forum have to practically beg their DC's teachers to meet with them, so when you have a teacher reaching out to you to help your child, that is wonderful.
Hmm. Maybe the teacher misunderstood our conversations,and walked away from the meeting feeling that we are unwilling to work with the teacher.

Though it's been many,many years since I taught in a classroom, I try to be sensitive to the teachers needs/wants/expectations. I certainly hope I didn't come across as otherwise. Afterall, we clearly stated-twice- that if *she* felt he needed extra help, to contact us-which she did not.

I didn't say that we *never* wanted him to miss recess-just for school work related issues. We made it clear(we thought!) that if he was misbehaving, then certainly he should lose a recess.

Before school even started, we made it clear, that we viewed our dc's education as a team effort. We did say that while we knew ds was behind in reading, our first priority was to help him have a smooth transition into school. Academic success is very important to us-our two older dc are proof of that-getting straight As.

If for one minute, we felt that ds wasn't progressing smoothly in all areas, we would be doing everything possible to help him-along with the school. And, this is what we have stated to the teacher(repeating again).

FTR-we highly value reading success-we are all readers in our family. However, we also know that dc pickup reading when they are ready(given they have been read to a lot, and are in an enriching environment-which describes ds's situation), much the same as a dc learning to walk.

Thanks, for giving a teacher's pov.
#24 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 04:15 PM

I guess the first thing I'd want is more information. Is this an ongoing issue (e.g. he's missing recess several times a week) or was this a one time thing?

At my school (where I work) all of our kids receive one on one reading testing before conferences with a teacher. Mosts of those tests are done by classroom teachers, but when a teacher has concerns about a child they might ask someone else, special ed, ELL, reading specialist, other grade level teacher etc . . . to do the testing so they have a second opinion. Unfortunately, as one of the people who is often asked to do this, finding time is hard. We don't schedule any kind of "regular" enrichment groups during recess (an exception might be if the social worker was pulling a group of kids to work on social and play skills, and did it in the context of recess, or like last year I had a child on my caseload who had medical reasons why she couldn't go out and play so I met with her during recess) but that means that I've got a block of available time then when I can't teach, so sometimes I might need to pull a child to do that assessment at recess time to get it done. If I'm in that situation I might take into account a parent's wishes, but I've also got a lot of factors to keep in mind as far as other children's needs, and other demands on my time.

I also wanted to comment, that in theory I hear where you're coming from when you say that you aren't worried yet because his reading skills aren't impacting his self-esteem. However, waiting until a child's self-esteem is impacted is IME waiting too long. Reading problems can't be remediated overnight, and if you wait to start addressing them after the child's self-esteem is impacted then you're going to have many months of the child suffering while you wait for the gap to close with remediation. Being proactive and helping the child before the issues become problems makes much more sense. A first grade teacher who is committed to her students, and who has had the experience of seeing happy confident first graders struggle in 2nd is going to feel anxiety about helping kids avoid those struggles.

I'd probably wait and address this at conferences next week, unless your child suddenly starts telling you about this every day, and then I'd start by saying "Henry came home from school last week and said ____. Can you tell me more about that?" My response would depend on what the teacher said.
#25 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momily View Post
I guess the first thing I'd want is more information. Is this an ongoing issue (e.g. he's missing recess several times a week) or was this a one time thing?

At my school (where I work) all of our kids receive one on one reading testing before conferences with a teacher. Mosts of those tests are done by classroom teachers, but when a teacher has concerns about a child they might ask someone else, special ed, ELL, reading specialist, other grade level teacher etc . . . to do the testing so they have a second opinion. Unfortunately, as one of the people who is often asked to do this, finding time is hard.
This is a good point. When my ds had his last reading assessment it was just before recess and he had to stay back to finish it while the others in his class went out to play. This didn't please him, and I think it had a slight impact on this test results, the assessor noted this, because he wanted out of there. Thankfully he was still above grade level.

#26 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 04:24 PM

I'm going to have to support the mom here. While I do understand the perspective of the posters who've expressed concern about children falling behind in reading, recess is not the time to play catch up on academics in my opinion. There is good research that shows that kids who get more physical activity are better able to concentrate in class. Taking away recess is just going to make it harder for him to concentrate and learn what they want him to learn.

If they have some sort of a reading recovery or literacy lab program it should be taking place during the regular classroom reading time and kids who need that extra help should go to that classroom rather than stay in their regular reading class at that time.

OP, some private schools pride themselves on working ahead in all areas. Do you think that this is one of those schools where the expectation is that he be advanced in all areas? Have they given you any test scores for him in reading (MAPs, DIBELS, SRI Lexile)? As the parent, I'd want to know where he falls in terms of national expectations for a child his age/grade, rather than just what the particular school wants.
#27 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, after working as a teacher years ago, and teaching my older two dc how to read. I think I am very qualified to determine if ds has a *serious* problem.

Maybe four weeks is enough time for many dc to adjust to a completely different lifestyle-but I know it wasn't enough time for our entire family. Even the principal said it would take time to adjust-especially for our youngest.

At the second meeting-which was a real conference- the extra help that was being offered,was only one time a month.

I am positive, that I could do more with him at home than that.

Again, I will state, that ds is making a lot of progress. I would maybe worry if he was still reading sentences like: The cat sat on dad. But, he is not. He is reading books like _Nate The Great_.

Aside from me defending how well ds is doing,it is the lack of communication from the teacher, that is bothersome.

It seems odd, that conferences are next week, and she could have just waited till then to talk to us, but instead just kept him inside on a beautiful day-for a reason we clearly stated objection to.
#28 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 04:28 PM

As someone else suggested - was that maybe an extra evaluation that was done?

Maybe they wanted to have more information when they next talked to you because you dismissed their offers of help the first time.
#29 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momily View Post
At my school (where I work) all of our kids receive one on one reading testing before conferences with a teacher. Mosts of those tests are done by classroom teachers, but when a teacher has concerns about a child they might ask someone else, special ed, ELL, reading specialist, other grade level teacher etc . . . to do the testing so they have a second opinion. Unfortunately, as one of the people who is often asked to do this, finding time is hard. We don't schedule any kind of "regular" enrichment groups during recess (an exception might be if the social worker was pulling a group of kids to work on social and play skills, and did it in the context of recess, or like last year I had a child on my caseload who had medical reasons why she couldn't go out and play so I met with her during recess) but that means that I've got a block of available time then when I can't teach, so sometimes I might need to pull a child to do that assessment at recess time to get it done.
That makes good sense, though. If this was the case, I'd be much less bothered.

If it is a regular thing is where it would be an issue. My oldest dd did wind up missing recess regularly in 1st grade due to speed of work issues. Her teacher would make her stay in at recess and finish work b/c she was working slowly. There was one week where she had no recesses at all due to this practice. For her, it turned out to be a combo of meticulousness, perfectionism, and very low tolerance for the amount of repetition they had that year. Speed is not as big of an issue for her now that she's older although it still isn't her best thing. The missed recesses and having it driven home to her that she was either lazy or slow and needed to miss recess as a result did have long term implications for her self image, though.
#30 of 60 Old 02-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Again, I will state, that ds is making a lot of progress. I would maybe worry if he was still reading sentences like: The cat sat on dad. But, he is not. He is reading books like _Nate The Great_.
That certainly doesn't sound like a serious problem to me. Nate the Great books range in lexile from 110-480 with the average one being around a lexile of 300. Just for an idea, here are approx lexile ranges for each grade: http://www.mead.k12.wa.us/BRENT/Libr...e%20Ranges.htm

Nate the Great is not below grade level for a first grader.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page