National Young Scholars Program - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 10 year old got a packet at his mothers house about this. DH went and picked it up and it's gold embossed and very fancy.

His mother is over the moon. She's calling all of their family and friends and telling him how special it is. I looked at the information and it seemed...off.

First of all, he's a good kid and a good student, but he's not exactly gifted or academically special that I can see right now. The work that he's taught in his fourth grade class is a little slow moving IMO, so he's doing it well and he's happy.

Second, this program is 2 grand for 4 days, not including airfare.

Third, they go a little far to convey what a miraculous event it is. They included a marketing letter especially for him, and a link for a press release that he can send to his local newspaper.

Fourth, it didn't come from the school, or through the school. The school didn't even mention anything like this to us, or even that he was in the running for some kind of award, even though his teachers name is mentioned many times in the packet. There's nothing else to the program that I see. Just camp.

It seems a little like those Who's Who books to me and DH is skeptical, too. But, again, his mother is thrilled and so is my kid, so I'm kind of hoping that we're wrong.

Has anyone ever heard of the NYSP or participated?

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#2 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 PM

DD got the same thing in the mail this year (also 10) and we thought it was actually just mass mailed.

Here is the 4th link I found when I searched:
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...c=IE-SearchBox

Apparently there is a lot more info out there if you add "scam" into the search.

I read some reviews where the people were happy, but mostly acknowledged that it wasn't an "award" and was more of an expensive, more academic summer camp. If you have plenty of money it's not a waste, but not exactly what they want you to believe either.

#3 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 PM

They mass mail to schools and try to get teachers to send in names of kids. I've always just tossed the packet that comes. The gold-embossed logo screams Junk Mail to me. There is no consistent criteria; any teacher who gets this in her box could glance at it, think "so-and-so has been doing great this year!", send in info, and forget all about it. No one else in the school would have any idea, so it's not like the school has anything to do with it.
#4 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
no advice. just commiseration.

wonder if the teacher gets a kickback for sending a name.

i feel so sorry for her when she realises she's been scammed.

wonder if dss is excited coz his mom is excited and maybe travelling and going someplace rather than about the award itself.

hope you and your dh are able to send her some scam links.

anytime there is are $$$s attached i always get suspicious.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
They mass mail to schools and try to get teachers to send in names of kids.

Wow. Aren't teacher's bound contractually NOT to release without consent the names/addresses of the children in their schools? I would not be pleased (and the teacher and the school would know well about that fact) if our family's information was given out by a teacher to anyone without my consent. That's highly unethical IMO. And then to have to deal with a disappointed kiddo and parent(s) that got their hopes up as though this was something legit. Despicable!
#6 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 02:05 PM

For anyone who is interested, you may want to check out the FERPA law. Any school that receives DOE funds is bound by it, and is required to inform you about it annually and give you the chance to NOT give your consent regarding information release.

http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html
#7 of 7 Old 08-03-2013, 10:46 AM

My 11 year old son just returned from a week (Sunday - Friday) at National Young Scholars Camp at William Peace University, Raleigh, NC. We could not have been more satisfied with the camp, the staff, and the environment. He had the time of his life. He got to do things that he would have never had the opportunity to do otherwise. He worked with DNA samples, had to calculate the angle and distance of blood (fake) splatters. He studied about four different major ailments of the body like pancrease, liver, etc. Designed a miniature jet car that had to work, leadership training, etc. The list goes on and on. He was so happy each night that he called us and shared everything they did. They had talant shows, magicians, a violinist, and others came in for nightly entertainment. The food was good and the security was excellent. They all shared in a graduation ceremony the things they learned and we saw in the classroom the hard work the kids had put in and learned so many things. He went to camp with his cell phone and kindle so that he could keep in touch with us at all times and the camp had no problem with it. So homesickness was never an issue. Yes the camp is expensive and probably higher than a lot of families can afford. My son wrote a letter explaining his nomination and sent it out to local businesses and friends asking for a sponsorship to go to this program. Within 3 weeks he had raised all the funds and one business wrote him an additional check for spending money. All total he raised almost $2200. He has learned so much this summer from raising his funds to attending a camp four hours away from home. He made so many friends while there. They all swapped their cell numbers and plan to remain friends for a very long time. We found no scam associated with this program at all. Did the people in charge make a lot of money from it? Sure they did. But to my son and our family it was worth every penny. Great opportunity.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page