Mothering Forum banner

Algebra workbook recommendations?

710 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  NoHiddenFees 
#1 ·
My 8th grader is in algebra, and she's struggling. Usually she's an A student. She has a troll for a teacher, but she is also not working as hard as she should.

Specifically, she does okay on homework, usually getting full credit. She doesn't do well on tests. I think part of her problem is she rushes through and makes simple, silly errors; she's not the most meticulous of students.

I'd like to get a workbook that is junior high algebra level, that she can do some practice work out of prior to tests. One problem she has said is that the teacher uses examples out of the book, and so if you don't understand the way the book explains it, you don't get any other sort of explanation. So I *don't* want to use the workbook that could supplement the textbook (we've tried that already). I want to get a workbook from a completely different company.

Any suggestions on workbooks that you've used with your children? She's bringing home her algebra book tomorrow and we're going to borders and the local school supply store, to compare the content of the workbooks and see if there are any workbooks that she thinks will be helpful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

See less See more
#7 ·
Pace maker series is pretty good
The reading level is lower so the information is more broken down,

Check to see if you have specific publishers for your state that gear the books towards required exams.

In Michigan - I have heard glencoe is the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.