Wow-my 1st grader doesn't know what a test is! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-26-2003, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was talking to DD-who is in public school and struggling. Fortunately, they are very accomodating so far and she is getting one on one much of the day. Anyway, I was chatting with DDabout her Dad 9who is in college) having a test, only to realize she has never had one and didn't know what I meant! I was actually happy at this realiation, as I know they are "tested" but not under pressure, etc. It is just a fun activity or worksheet. This actually shocked me in the mainstream school system. There are 6 1st grades in her school alone and I have seen another parent "quizing" their child on words, etc. so it may not be school policy.

Has anyone else experienced this? I know friends with kids in Catholic schools get the same tests (spelling, etc.) from hell I remember at this age. With a child who is having as many difficulties as DD does, thsi is a great relaization...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-01-2004, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I don't think my son was formally 'tested' until 2nd grade spelling tests. 1st grade focused on reading and basic math using manipulatives, but no tests. 2nd grade just had the weekly spelling tests. 3rd grade has had a few science based tests, and some spelling, but nothing major. I know this is the year that standardized tests are supposed to start though, so I am keeping my eye on that!

#3 of 4 Old 01-01-2004, 01:56 PM

My first grader isn't "tested" either.
#4 of 4 Old 01-18-2004, 10:13 PM

I teach second grade, and this year I am at a new school. Though an experienced 2nd grade teacher, I didn't realize some kids this age hadn't ever taken a test before either (formal spelling tests began in first grade at my old school)! I would have made a bigger deal out of it for them if I had known. They were all soooo excited and felt so grown up taking their first real tests this September, and I just blew it off as routine because I had no idea!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page