Lunchtime containers? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found these: Lunchbots which i think i'm going to try. Sorry if this is a reposted link. I was going to go with the Kids Konserve, but for a square lunchbox, the round containers seemed like they would be a juggle to fit. These look great. I hope she doesn't lose them!

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 12:46 AM

hmmm... just found out that one of my kiddos will no longer get reduced price school lunch, so I am going to be picking him up some cool containers!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd390002. According to their website, they are both BPA free and microwave safe.
Polliwog, I see the "microwave safe", but I'm not seeing the "BPA-free". Can you tell me where you saw it? I have some Rubbermaid containers that I'd like to check on.

I also have some stainless containers my DH bought from www.lifewithoutplastic.com that we use sometimes. The lids are harder for kids to get off, but we do like them a lot.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 08-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Here you go. http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/bpa-info.jhtml

We are really liking our Bento 2 from Laptop Lunches. I want to get one of the new Alien carry bags when our eco store gets them in. My son will flip. I still covet the Planetbox, but this is more practical for us right now.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Here you go. http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/bpa-info.jhtml

We are really liking our Bento 2 from Laptop Lunches. I want to get one of the new Alien carry bags when our eco store gets them in. My son will flip. I still covet the Planetbox, but this is more practical for us right now.
I followed along that link you have Polliwog, and rubbermaid actually has pictures of their items with and without bpa. That is a really helpful feature!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:35 AM

I'm glad that I found it. It really is helpful having the pictures right there.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:13 PM

I've been wondering about how easy it is to open/close the Goodbyn. Anyone know?

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 08-30-2009, 12:06 AM

Not sure if anyone has mentioned things like this yet
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ion_id=5668203

My sil sent me a couple of them and they've worked out well so far. She bought them in Asheville, NC.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
Polliwog, I see the "microwave safe", but I'm not seeing the "BPA-free". Can you tell me where you saw it? I have some Rubbermaid containers that I'd like to check on.

I also have some stainless containers my DH bought from www.lifewithoutplastic.com that we use sometimes. The lids are harder for kids to get off, but we do like them a lot.
I really like the stainless containers your referenced beanma. DS was looking at the Tiffin, but I found that the clips were hard for him to manage. The others from the lifewithoutplastic website are easier to operate. I see that they also have a completely stainless hot food container coming in a few weeks.

We've had a bit of a mix up here. Somehow dh and I both thought the other had ordered a planetbox, so it has not been ordered. The laptop lunch from last year is in tough shape. The outer bag material ripped, and is being held together with electrical tape. and the locking clasp (plastic) on the actual LL is not staying closed. I zipped out tonight and found a small Built NY tortuga lunchbag for $9.99, and I'll use either the stainless steel container, or small glass mason jars and a KK for ds. DD will use the same containers and her fleurville lunchsack from last year-she now wants a Built NY bag as well! Maybe we won't end up w/ a planet box after all.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieangela View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned things like this yet
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ion_id=5668203

My sil sent me a couple of them and they've worked out well so far. She bought them in Asheville, NC.
Do you know if the PUL is food grade? I have a wrapnmat, and that was one of the selling points (the insides are food grade)..
Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Do you know if the PUL is food grade? I have a wrapnmat, and that was one of the selling points..
PUL is not food safe.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Do you know if the PUL is food grade? I have a wrapnmat, and that was one of the selling points..
The current Wrap n Mat linings aren't PUL. http://www.wrap-n-mat.com/Overview-of-Linings-i-16.html
Old 08-30-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
PUL is not food safe.
Quote:
The current Wrap n Mat linings aren't PUL. http://www.wrap-n-mat.com/Overview-of-Linings-i-16.html
Perhaps I wasn't clear. That was kind of my point. I went with the wrapnmats because the similar ones I saw elsewhere didn't make me feel like they were foodsafe. I was questioning whether the etsy wraps were foodsafe since they say they are made with PUL. Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh yay! We have the take-alongs and I see they're on the BPA-free list. They're probably chock-full of phthalates or some other noxious chemical, but at least I know they don't have BPA.

thanks!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 08-31-2009, 11:24 AM

The Wrap N Mat pouches are brilliant! I think I may order some LDPE liner and make some up for DS. I have a ton of PUL and was wondering if it was food safe, and am so sad to hear that it is not. The LDPE doesn't seem all that expensive though, so I may have to order a couple of smallish sheets of it and make my own wraps.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks so much for this thread!! I'm torn between the Tiffin, Planetbox or Kid Konserve. Decisions decisions.

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boobykins View Post
Is anyone using the Goodbyn yet? I'm trying to decide whether to get these for my kids. With three taking lunches, I'd like to avoid the multiple lids and containers of the Laptop Lunches. Are Goodbyns easy for little ones to open/close for little ones (I have one in kinder, first, third)? Before I lay out a bunch of money, I'd love to hear some reviews!
We got ours in the mail on Saturday and sent them off with my kids today. A couple of things.

* They hold a TON of food. It works well for us because my kids like to eat a little bit of a bunch of different stuff. You could put a LOT of a LOT of stuff in the Goodbyn!

* The sticker on the front says it's for ages 5+. But my 3 year old is able to open it, no problem.

* It's kind of a bummer it's not insulated. I'm not sure how well freezing the water bottle will keep everything cool.

Anyway, that's my review at first glance. It's so nice not having to find tupperware and lids and sandwich baggies, I definitely like that part...

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Did you notice any leakage between compartments in the Goodbyn? I love the look of the PlanetBox, but DS really eats a LOT of food, as in almost as much as I do at times. I just don't think I could pack enough into it. It is good to hear that the Goodbyn holds a lot of food. I am just worried about leakage between compartments. I tend to send yogurt, cut fruit, frozen veggies, etc. Lots of "wet" food. I hate it when he comes home with his lunchbox like he did today with everything all jumbled together and soggy. He ended up eating pretty much nothing all day because it all ran together.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 PM

Pumpkin Pie, did you see some of these pictures? http://www.planetbox.com/pictures.html. The planetbox looks like it holds a lot of food.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Pumpkin Pie, did you see some of these pictures? http://www.planetbox.com/pictures.html. The planetbox looks like it holds a lot of food.
Hmmmm... I didn't see those, but I do tend to send a lot of food that would get a little runny. He has two containers right now that are water tight, and have a divider in the middle of them, so four compartments for his lunch. They seem to really keep everything pretty sealed, but when he got home today, his blueberries and pears had leaked all over his veggie booty, and his beans had sort of leaked a bit into his chicken compartment. It was pretty clear that it was liquid from the foods that was leaking, not just him being a messy eater.

I am really worried that the PlanetBox wouldn't keep things separate enough. I know they have the big and little dippers to keep wet foods apart, but I really need 2 or three compartments that can hold a decent amount of damp/wet foods for him. If the Goodbyn's seal each individual compartment, then that would really be perfect.

I would love to avoid plastic though. My number one lunch time pet peeve right now is that I end up sending things in baggies inside of his divided containers. I bought the stinking containers to avoid baggies that are thrown away. : Why, oh why is it so impossible to find a solution?????

Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 AM

bumpy do!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Did you notice any leakage between compartments in the Goodbyn? I love the look of the PlanetBox, but DS really eats a LOT of food, as in almost as much as I do at times. I just don't think I could pack enough into it. It is good to hear that the Goodbyn holds a lot of food. I am just worried about leakage between compartments. I tend to send yogurt, cut fruit, frozen veggies, etc. Lots of "wet" food. I hate it when he comes home with his lunchbox like he did today with everything all jumbled together and soggy. He ended up eating pretty much nothing all day because it all ran together.
There's no leakage at all. The compartments are really deep and the lid "snaps" onto each of the dividers. Yesterday my dd didn't put the top on her water bottle right and it leaked all in the water bottle space but didn't get in any of the other compartments. It truly is like having a bunch of self-sealing containers - I love it!

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 09-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post
There's no leakage at all. The compartments are really deep and the lid "snaps" onto each of the dividers. Yesterday my dd didn't put the top on her water bottle right and it leaked all in the water bottle space but didn't get in any of the other compartments. It truly is like having a bunch of self-sealing containers - I love it!
Thank-You!!! I am definitely sold on the Goodbyns over the PlanetBox now. I would definitely much rather have his food in stainless steel, but leakage is so hard to contain that I will go with safer plastics in order to help contain the mess.

Now to save up for one.... :

Old 09-05-2009, 11:49 PM

I found three nesting boxes at a thrift store today. The bottoms have kanji on them.. the lids have little side pieces (metal) that snap up and over the top... They "look" like bento boxes to me... ah... I WISH I could read Kanji, but I can't! I think I may take them to the Japanese teachers and see what they say..
Old 09-06-2009, 12:09 AM

Ooh, now that I know the compartments don't leak, I may end up trying the Goodbyn.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 09-06-2009, 10:08 AM

Another Goodbyn review - got one for my son (starting public 1st grade) its the 1st time he's needed to bring his own lunch. It does hold a ton of food, and we've had no leakage betweet compartments. Though if you let them seal it themselves, you may - it is a little hard for him (6yo) to get all the areas snapped down (you have to press on each spot where there is a seal), more from lack of understanding than lack of ability though. We had a water bottle leak too - again from him not closing the bottle properly, not from an inherent problem with the bottle. He loves it so far, its been through the dishwasher just fine (I was worried the stickers would come off - not yet)

So...a good review from us!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 PM

bump

User Tag List