Lunchtime containers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2009, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am thinking ahead to the next school year. The lunch containers we are using right now (a tupperware container sectioned kind of like the Laptop Lunchbox) have cracks from wear and tear throughout the year so we will be buying new containers for the next year. I found this and wondered about people's opinion about them - http://www.to-goware.com/store/cart....ct_detail&p=51 They look really neat but I wonder how well they hold up. The kids have totally dented their Klean Kanteen water bottles by dropping them or dropping their backpacks with the bottle in it so I am worried the lunch containers would have the same fate. We are also considering the Laptop Lunchbox and wondering what people's opinions are of those. They look really great but I worry about whether there would be enough space for the food. Thanks for any input!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 AM

We love our laptop lunchboxes. There is plenty of room.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Old 05-08-2009, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have them and I really like them. My children have been using them for over a year now but don't carry them much themselves at this point. We have an older version of the To-go Ware. The steel on ours feels heavier/thicker than a KK to me.

We have three different pieces for lunch stuff:
To-go ware
Built NY gourmet getaway bag
steel thermos

Their lunches are usually either a thermos in the Built bag with other food in small containers tossed in or they bring lunch in a To-go ware. It's worked very well for us and has provided us with reasonable flexibility.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 AM

I haven't tried the metal bento boxes but I am going to be bringing my laptop lunches into year 3 next year and they are still going strong.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 AM

I'm a lunchroom monitor at my childrens elementary school... here are some tips that will keep things easy for your children and the adults that help them open lunch containers.

Sigg bottles are quite popular at our school. Even the kinder and first graders have no problem opening them. Sport top style bottles work best though.

Most of the younger kids (k-3rd) have a hard time opening thermoses, even the ones with smaller tops. The 4-5th graders and adults have trouble opening thermoses where hot foods were placed, but have cooled down (good ol' vacuum).

The containers that I've never had to help children open are the types with tabs on the sides of the lids, like the Japanese plastic bento boxes, snapware and Lock and Lock. Ironically, the containers I get handed the most often are things like gladware.

A couple of kids have Laptop Lunchboxes, and a couple of kids have Asian style bento gear, and they never need help opening things. The Laptop Lunchboxes still look to be in pretty good condition, and at least one of the kids is really rough on his.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:57 PM
crl

We have the laptop lunch box (actually we have two of them). The boxes and the interior food containers have held up well. But the silverware that came with one of them did not. The spoon got lost (oh well) but the fork actually broke. DS is not generally rough with this stuff so I don't think it was his fault. I'm surprised you've had KK's dent, none of ours have, although the couple of Siggs DS has are looking really beat up at this point.

They hold plenty of food, really too much food for DS at this point--he's nearly 6. I don't fill the containers all the way and he still never eats everything I pack. And I actually packed DH's lunch in these for over a year and it was big enough for him.

One downside for me is that because there are 4 containers I feel compelled to put 4 different things in his lunch. Some days that's fine (chips, hummus, carrots and fruit), but some days that's annoying (sandwich, fruit, and what now for the remaining two containers).

We also have some stainless steel containers from Pearl River that I use for snacks. Those have held up very well and are very easy for DS to open.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:30 PM

We have three laptop lunch boxes. My 3rd grader and 9th grader and I have used them almost every day for three years and they still look great. Sometimes there is actually too much food in them. A sandwhich or wrap, applesause, crackers and fruit or veg will really fill them up. I often send bamboo flatwear and we use a Sigg bottle instead of the plastic one that comes with the kit.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the old and new styles of the To-go-ware and FYI the new style has too many latches and they take a lot of muscle to open. I much prefer the old style but don't know if you can find it anymore. We have had those for 3yrs and no dents yet.
We have also been using Laptop lunchboxes for 3yrs and they are holding up fine. One of our forks broke apart while being washed but otherwise the set is fine. I prefer using the stainless steel but since it isn't insulated, we often resort to the laptop lunchbox with the sleeve.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
We have the laptop lunch box (actually we have two of them). The boxes and the interior food containers have held up well. But the silverware that came with one of them did not.

One downside for me is that because there are 4 containers I feel compelled to put 4 different things in his lunch. Some days that's fine (chips, hummus, carrots and fruit), but some days that's annoying (sandwich, fruit, and what now for the remaining two containers).
I love our Laptop Lunch. It has lasted through two school years with pretty minimal wear and tear. It does only get used every other week, though (DSD is week on/week off with us). We had a similar issue with the silverware. It is long gone.

Sometimes, when I don't need to put four different things in her lunch, I'll put a note or something like that in the fourth container. Or a small piece of candy. I also don't feel compelled to use all four containers - sometimes I'll take some out to make room for one bigger thing or something like that.

love.gif

Old 05-09-2009, 01:20 PM

I didn't see how much the Laptop Lunchboxes are (but I REALLY like them!!) but one thing I was thinking about the silver canteen thing you linked to is........$20 seems like a lot to spend on something that could get lost/left at school/banged up, etc.

But then, I like finding lunch containers on clearance, so that if they are lost it isn't a lot of money spent!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:51 PM

We thought the laptop lunch boxes were WAY TOO SMALL. I couldn't even fit a whole sandwich in any of the containers. I had to cut parts off of it to make it fit. I got a bill for school lunches because DD (4th grade at the time) was eatting her lunch, then getting in line to get school food because she was still hungry. I think they are fine for the lower elementary ages, but after that they are too small. Also, the moist stuff would leak around inside the big lunch box because only one container had it's own lid.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 05-09-2009, 09:05 PM

I actually really like the tupperware lunchboxes. We've had ours for 2.5 years, and they're still going strong. I recently noticed that my DD's box has crack in the top, so I suppose I'll replace it before next year. But no need to replace the other 5 boxes we have.

The biggest concern I'd have about the To go ware is whether or not a sandwich would fit in the round container. Are any of the containers divided? I love being able to keep food seperate in the Tupperware lunchboxes, so one food doesn't make another food soggy.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
: I'm wanting to get something different for my DD for next year. She'll be in 6th grade, but she isn't a huge eater. She thinks the laptop looks very cool, but I'm not sure if it would be big enough.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 05-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
: I'm wanting to get something different for my DD for next year. She'll be in 6th grade, but she isn't a huge eater. She thinks the laptop looks very cool, but I'm not sure if it would be big enough.
If she isn't a big eater it should be fine.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 PM

I don't have a problem fitting a whole sandwich in the laptop lunchbox. I just cut it in 1/2 and stack it in one of the square containers.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Old 05-09-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
I don't have a problem fitting a whole sandwich in the laptop lunchbox. I just cut it in 1/2 and stack it in one of the square containers.
You must use square bread. I use the loaves of bread that have rectangle pieces. I was never able to get a whole sandwich in one of those things.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Another vote for the Laptop Lunch box. We absolutely love ours and find them to almost too big. It holds more than enough for me and my ds together, though we do have separate sets. We use the Ezekial bread and just fit it in side by side if we are doing sandwiches. However, we are not "sandwich people" so I haven't had a lot of experience with that type of food in the box.

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
You must use square bread. I use the loaves of bread that have rectangle pieces. I was never able to get a whole sandwich in one of those things.
I use normal shaped bread and I just cut the sandwich in half and put it cut side up into the box. It does sometimes make it hard to close if the bread is a bit oversized but I made some lunch bags that fit the laptop lunch box so that even if it isn't latched correctly it will still stay closed.

Steph

Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 PM
crl

I know others have had problems with the laptop lunches not holding enough, but we really haven't. Now my nearly 6 year old is not a big eater. But we used them for DH's lunch for a year and it was fine. If I was sending a snack with DH too then that went in separately, but lunch itself fit in the laptop box just fine and was plenty of food for DH. Not sure how to account for the different experiences.

As to fitting a sandwich in, it has depended on the bread for me. I have been know to take out the two big containers, wrap a sandwich in a wrap n' mat, and put it in the space where the two big containers usually go. Then I fill the two small containers with fruits/veggies. . . . That's how I get a big sandwich in. Smaller sandwiches have worked sliced the long way in half or the short way in thirds and put in one of the big containers. And wraps fit in great.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 PM

Just so you know, Tupperware has a "limited lifetime guarantee" and will replace the lunch containers that are broken - you may want to check with a rep to see if yours qualifies. HTH!
From the website:
Limited Lifetime Warranty
Tupperware® Brand products are warranted by Tupperware against chipping, cracking, breaking or peeling under normal non-commercial use for the lifetime of the product. Please call Customer Care toll-free at 1(800) 366-3800 for free replacement. If, due to unavailability, actual product replacement cannot be made, comparable product replacement will be made, or credit towards future purchases of Tupperware® brand products will be given. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Warranty replacement items or parts will be subject to shipping and handling charges.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
snapware and Lock and Lock.
We use these. I found them at Ross and Walmart. Ds's Montessori school requested that parents use them because even the preschoolers can open them themselves.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 PM

We use Lock and lock as well. My dd (and her classmates) think they are cool. I like them, b/c they do seal extremely well. For next school year, I may be considering investing in the laptop lunch box. The only question I have is how well do they fit in a book bag? I can just see my dd losing hers. She tends to be sort of scatter brained at times and has forgotten or left her lunchbox on many occasions this year.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:45 AM

When we lived in Germany, I picked up a bunch of these Klickboxen. They are very easy for little hands to open them and they are fairly water-tight. I haven't found a place in the US that sells them, but if anyone knows of a place, I'd love to have a link.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 AM

So the To-Go stainless steel lunch kits--there's no place for an ice pack unless you buy the fabric carrier? Neither my husband nor the kids have access to a refrigerator for their lunches, so that's important to me.

Are the Laptop Lunch interior containers leak-proof (more or less)? Since we already have a pile of lunch boxes, I am thinking maybe I should just get some decent interior containers so I can chuck the sandwich baggies. The LL interior set is $12.99. The Lock & Lock sandwich set is only $6.99.

http://www.heritagemint.com/jump.jsp...iProductID=269

Is the Laptop Lunch set worth the six dollars more? Lock & Lock is probably better made than Gladware but of course, GW is a whole lot cheaper.

I need to buy four to six sets, so the extra costs would add up quick!

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 AM
crl

Only one of the interior containers in the Laptop lunch box has a lid. It is one of the big containers. I've packed yogurt in it and had no leaks. The others are fine for things like fruit, veggies, rice, etc (the exterior lid to the whole thing holds them in place) but would not work for more liquid things.

Catherine

ETA: Oops, looks like I'm out-of-date and there's a new laptop lunch box with more lid options. . . .http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/20...come-true.html
Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 AM

FYI, for Mamas that don't like to put their kiddos food in plastic, Lock N Lock also makes containers with glass bottom (the glass is similar to pyrex). The lids are still plastic though, and they're kind of heavy so maybe not so good for little kids.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:37 PM

We have a laptop lunchbox and I really like it. I've used it for when I needed to pack lunch for me and it didn't seem too small. Dh has a lunchsense lunchbox which uses Lock & Lock containers. They have several different sizes for different ages. It's great and I love it and you can get replacement containers easily when you need them. I'd thought about getting one for ds for kindgergarten this year, my only concern is there are so many pieces and he's a little young to keep up with all that. He can open those boxes without a problem though.

I saw this one on a blog yesterday and I'm considering ordering it. It solves my multiple container issue and looks like it will be plenty big. It can go in the dishwasher and the webpage says that each compartment seals independantly and it's leakproof.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:11 PM

Ceili, that Goodbyn lunchbox is sooooo cute. I may just return the bottles and lunchbox I bought recently and buy Goodbyns instead. I *love* that it only has one lid! I really would like to see a side view and the underside of the lid though to see what the seals look like.

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 PM

For the laptop lunch boxes that come with bottles; is there a place in the box to keep it?

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 AM

Looks like they have made all stainless steel replacement cutlery for the Laptop lunch boxes....going to have to buy some (since teaspoons fit nicely but I have yet to find a fork short enough LOL). I would love to have the lidded containers but I will have to skip those because ours are still going strong so it would be silly to buy an all new system right....right???? <sigh> Very tempting though!

Steph

User Tag List