School trips and supervision for 1st graders - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
No it isn't. Not at this age. I go on the preschool field trips because they're fun and I'd really rather drive my own children when they're that young. I go on the school field trips again, because they're fun and its something I get to do with my kid. I see no reason why a parent shouldn't go along.

I go because I do not feel comfortable letting my child go with a school full of kids to a PUBLIC place full of other schools full of kids, even if there are chapereons. Now, my DD goes places with friends and their parents but the adult/child ratio is much lower. I am not overprotective in my eyes or many others. Maybe some parents are not protective enough? I am just saying that no one (especially the school) should be making judgemets on a parent's parenting style.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Truancy laws apply to private and public schools- school is school. The OP was only worried about that in reference to pulling her child out for the last two weeks.

Pirvate schools need volunteers just as much as public schools, if not more so- they have less money to work with in most cases. I am baffled why this teacher doesn't want chaperones and it would definately make me suspicious. I am a teacher and I never turn down help or chaperones. The only teachers I know who do are the ones who have something to hide.

Side story: The third grade at my children's school goes on the same trip every year. Because of the location (a historical house in the French Quarter) and the smallness, only the teachers and the room moms/dads are allowed to go. This is 6 adults for two classes of 9 year olds. One of my friends is a very over protective mom- she even jokes about it. She was not going to let her son go on the trip b/c she was not room mom that year; I was. She has NEVER not gone on a field trip and was very upset she could not go on this one. Yes, it is in the French Quarter but at 10 in the morning, not 10 at night, LOL. Anyway, I talked with her and SWORE I would not let her son out of my sight. She let him go. I was happy she did, b/c it is a tradition at the school and I know her son would have been upset had he missed it.

Different from the OP's story, but sometimes over protectiveness can go too far.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
Truancy laws apply to private and public schools- school is school. The OP was only worried about that in reference to pulling her child out for the last two weeks.

Pirvate schools need volunteers just as much as public schools, if not more so- they have less money to work with in most cases. I am baffled why this teacher doesn't want chaperones and it would definately make me suspicious. I am a teacher and I never turn down help or chaperones. The only teachers I know who do are the ones who have something to hide.
Yes, that's true. With 8 field trips in two weeks my child will miss a lot of school if she doesn't go on all of the trips. This teacher has already confronted me and made accusations about my parenting, so can't help but wonder what she will do if I pull my child out.

I think she is offended that I don't trust her with my child which is actually not true, or at least it wasn't until recently. I just don't feel comfortable with her parading around town with my child and 16 others and no other adults. Also, I think she (and the school as a whole) has that small town mentality that nothing bad could ever happen here.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmie View Post
Flor,

yes it's a Private School. Don't truancy laws pertain to Private schools as well as Public schools?
Well, I'm not sure how that works, but not all schools do 180 days, not all schools do 8-3, not all schools meet 5 days a week. Some kids in our school only do 3 days a week. Some parents don't bring their kid till 9 o'clock each day, just because that works for them. There are alternative public and private schools around here where student meet a teacher once a week. There are private schools that have less hours, shorter years, I'd think as long as you are enrolled in something, who cares? I've never heard of a private school reporting to anyone anything about attendance. Public schools in my state make a big deal because they loss daily attendance money. Does your school do excused/unexcused absences? Ds's private school doesn't ask, doesn't care (well, teachers care because they love him, but it isn't anything there is a rule about). Some families in our school pull kids out for a week for skiing or a month to Europe without the paperwork or arraingments necessary for public school. So, I don't know, but I've gone to, worked at, and have children at private schools and I've never heard "truancy" used at these schools.

In the public school where I work, 3 unexcused days gets forwarded to the district attorney. At ds's private school, I've never been asked to "excuse" an absence. They aren't reporting anything to anyone.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 PM

Not sure what state you're in but in many states children aren't actually required to be IN school until age 7. If that's the case, who cares about truancy - you wouldn't be required to send her this whole year anyway! You can look it up on your states ed site.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 PM

Speaking from an Upper School perspective, I wanted to respond to the comment about only teachers who have something to hide would not ask for chaperones. I have, in 10 years of teaching, often not asked for chaperones for two main reasons: 1) There are enough school staff members ie. counselor, aide, student teacher, to accompany me and 2) I do not feel comfortable with the parents who do volunteer. This may be for reasons related to supervision, cigarette/alcohol use, or temperment. I realize that this is most likely NOT the case with the OP, but I wanted to share that information.

Thank you.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
I've never heard of a private school reporting to anyone anything about attendance.
In Washington state, private schools report attendance to the state. But regardless of whether the OP's state reports or not, I'd assume she could be fine since her reason for not attending is a safety concern.

User Tag List