Tutoring fees? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2004, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been a SAHM since I had my DD, but taught elementary school for six years beforehand. I miss it, and could use some extra income, so I printed up a bunch of signs advertising my tutoring services.

Problem is, I have no idea how much to charge people. I'm terrible about this sort of thing.

I live in an upper-middle to upper-class suburban area. Some people have told me that I can ask for $75 an hour, and while the idea of making that much for what is truly easy work thrills me, I don't know if I can ask for that amount without feeling guilty!!!

Does anyone who lives in a similar area know what tutors make? I'm not talking about the local high school kid coming to help your kid study his math skills, I mean a tutor who is a qualified, experienced teacher with a master's degree, like me.

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2004, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I don't have personal experience with this, having never been a tutor nor hired a tutor, but those rates do sound comparable to other professions and the fees associated. (Professional counseling goes for between 45-150 or more per hour). You could always start with one fee and then offer a "sliding scale" if you wanted to be able to offer your services to families with lower income. I live in rural VT, so it would never go over here, but in some higher income areas, I could definitely see people paying that much.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:06 PM

Hey, LunaMom! As you know, I too am a credentialed elementary teacher with a master's degree. I made $70 an hour in the San Francisco suburb I used to live in, and that was considered well below the average rate. And, I was tutoring young children (6-10 years old). I charged less than average because I was mostly tutoring students who attended the public school in which I taught and, well, I guess I just felt guilty charging more. In that respect, I can totally relate to you! I was, however, told by clients more than once that if I ever wanted to charge more, just let them know, and it would be fine with them!! Where I am now, I have been told I could earn at least $75 an hour, and I am certain it is true. I have unfortunately no time to tutor, as I am still teaching second grade and my school does not let out until 3:45. After an hour in my classroom prepping for the next day, I really have to get right home to ds! Tutoring is quite lucrative, and at my busiest, I supplemented my full-time teacher's salary with about $800 a month in tutoring earnings!!! Summer is also a great time to tutor, as children are available for more hours of the day rather than just the after school hours.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:56 AM

My sister is an ESL teacher (but holds multiple additional certifications) in a town which is mostly very wealthy, but which also has a small, poor, immigrant population. She has tutored the wealthier families for $75/hr, but charges much less for ESL tutoring, since the families are generally in dire financial circumstances.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:39 PM

I charge 75. a week for 3 40 min. sessions tutoring reading to my 'regulars'

User Tag List