kindergarden days??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-20-2004, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Kindergarden question for you ladies.....what is the schedule? Do they go 1/2 or full days - and is it everyday of the week? The reason I ask is because the little Catholic school that I think we are going to like (we take the tour on Sunday - I can't wait!) only offers Kindergarden 5 FULL days a week! That seems like ALOT for a 5 year old to me......any thoughts? I am thinking if we do choose that school that we will keep Ethan in Montessori (or homeschool) through K and then just start at grade 1 in the Catholic school.....we shall see....what is your experiences?

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#2 of 15 Old 01-20-2004, 07:07 PM

They vary, although the one consistent is that it is for five days weekly. The trend seems to be moving in the direction of a full day of kinder. I'm personally opposed to it too, as a school employee and as a parent. I think it's far too long of a day for 4, 5 and 6 year olds without a significant rest period, and I don't think most of them have significant rest periods (I mean beyond recess). My district is piloting it this year, and three of the four classrooms at the school my ds will attend next year are full day this year. I suspect all four will be next year. *sigh* I wish it weren't so.
#3 of 15 Old 01-21-2004, 12:53 PM

Our public school only has half day kindergarten, which is one of my (few) gripes with the school system. My dd was totally ready for full day K, as were all of her friends. With the half day schedule they have, once they get off the bus, get unbundled and settled down, it's nearly time for them to leave again. I am hoping that by the time her sister is ready for K, it has changed to full day.
#4 of 15 Old 01-21-2004, 02:07 PM

The PS here has K 5 1/2 days a week, but I believe the Catholic school has it 5 full days. I would actually prefer K to be full day. At least for my son that's in K now. He's 6. But my other son will be starting K this year and he could be 4 the day school starts. The start date is very close to his 5th birthday. I look at him now and see how small he is and I can't see him leaving me for even half a day. :LOL It should be parental choice for 1/2 or full day K.
#5 of 15 Old 01-21-2004, 02:42 PM

My dd started school this year, at 4 yrs, full days/5 days week. The school she's at does have an adequate rest period. DD had cut out her naps since 2 yrs, but has since started napping at school in the aft. All the kids have a cot, and they can sleep or read to themselves. I was unsure of full days at first, and I do sometimes keep dd home if she seems tired, but overall, she is enjoying her experience. I think it also helps that they are only 12 kids in her class!!!

Peace,

Mamasoleil/samson
#6 of 15 Old 01-21-2004, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well the K at the Catholic school only has 9-10 kids and they do actually have a nap/rest period in the afternoon.....so it may not be too bad. It is a tiny school and I think we will like it....we shall see. I just can't pictue it now (I would miss him too much )

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#7 of 15 Old 01-21-2004, 03:40 PM

Two of my siblings have their kids go to a Catholic grade school with full day K. The reason they do full day only are:

1) they get to use the public school buses only at the other times
2) that way they only employ full time teachers

There is much more rest and play time in K than in first.

Good luck!

#8 of 15 Old 01-22-2004, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We have full day k-garten here. My son struggled with it, my daughter does fine and loves it. It depends on temperament. I do miss my daughter, we are still adjusting to it, and when she goes to a friend's house afterschool, I go through withdrawal!!

Anywya, it is working out fine for us.

#9 of 15 Old 01-22-2004, 12:50 PM

We have a lot of choice... half day or full day alternate days in most public and Catholic schools. One school, the French Language Catholic School has full day, 5 day a week kindergarten, and the parents I have talked to have liked it, although their children have been too tired for other activities. The best thing is to ask the teachers what they plan to do with the kids for all that time and ask the families with older children what they have enjoyed about the school.
#10 of 15 Old 01-23-2004, 12:00 AM

Our K is full day, but they have a decent nap in the afternoons, as well as 2 recess periods and PE and music everyday, so they move around a lot. There is also desk work in between. My son thrives on the structure and being with other kids all day.
#11 of 15 Old 01-23-2004, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Our K is full day, but they have a decent nap in the afternoons, as well as 2 recess periods and PE and music everyday, so they move around a lot. There is also desk work in between. My son thrives on the structure and being with other kids all day.
Now that's how I wish the district I live in handled it! I'd be perfectly fine with that.
#12 of 15 Old 01-23-2004, 04:39 AM

Here in Chicago it seems that all of the Catholic schools are 5 full days for kindergarden. My son is at our Catholic preschool now, but we think we will be sending him to public school for kindergarden for several reasons. Chicago public schools have some 1/2 day programs and some full day programs.

We live across the street from a public school with a 1/2 day program, so we think we will send him there next year and still have time to hang out with mama and baby sister and do actvities at the park. I would ideally like a half day program that was about 4 hours a day - the problem with the half day program at the school by us is that it is only 2 1/2 hours a day. We will definately need park activities - I have a very active child! My son also LOVES school (so far!) and does well with structure.

I have talked to full day kindergarden teachers and they do "academics" in the morning, lunch, rest time and then play. I would say if you are going to switch to the Catholic school then make the switch in kidergarden to see if the school is a good fit with your family. You could always switch again in 1st grade without too much interruption, since kindergarden is still such a transitional year.

Good luck!
Kathleen
#13 of 15 Old 01-23-2004, 11:13 AM

The catholic schools in my area all have full day K (and good afterschool programs as well) while the public schools have half day K and long wait lists for the afterschool programs. It's one way the catholic schools, which are facing big enrollment drops here, try to attract families who need full day coverage because of work schedules.
#14 of 15 Old 01-25-2004, 11:45 AM

dd will start k at a catholic school this august. she'll go from 11:45 until 3pm. i called maybe ten schools to research their k hours and this is the only one i found in sf that has a half day program.
#15 of 15 Old 01-31-2004, 05:50 PM

The K program here is 5 half days, either morning or afternoon. My ds was just 5 when he started and it was good for him that it was not full day at first. My thought is that if the kids need a nap why go for a full day? kwim? The first few weeks my ds was pretty tired but eventually adjusted, he had already not been napping since age 4 and only for those first few weeks did he go back to it. The Catholic schools here are all full day as well.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page