Grrrhh, I am so pissed at the preschool situation here! We moved to this area in late July last year and I started looking for a ps in Aug/Sep but they were all full so I filled out two apps to get him on the waitlist to start asap or at the latest, the next school year which usually begins around July/Aug. I visited 4 other schools but decided against them for various reasons (school day too long, yucky playground with no shade, closed door policy so parents can't drop in, believe in letting them cio while adjusting to school, dreary classroom, exclusive attitude). Anyway, I thought that he would most likely get a spot at one of the two schools by this school year, he will be 4 in Feb and I would like him to have 1 year of ps before kindergarten.
We do tiny tots, playgroups, and a parent participation ps where I go with him twice a week so he does get socialization time with kids. What he is lacking is separation time from me. We have no family in this area and I haven't found any sitters either. I am nervous about leaving him with a teen sitter. Anyway, I really feel a need to teach him that school can be fun and to just get a few hours a week to myself.
This week I found out that he is still far enough down on both lists so he most likely will not get a spot this year unless most of the others on the lists have decided to go elsewhere. The schools are also having fewer openings because parents of late-born kids are choosing to leave them in ps for an extra year rather than have them start k. I am really pissed at the one coop because they chose to accept a child for an unexpected opening in Jan. who was not on the wait list because she was 4. My son will be 4 in Feb, I would have gladly paid for his spot for one month just to hold it. I don't think it's fair to give the one opening away when we (and others have been on the wait list for months already.) Oh yeah, the child they accepted is a girl, I am beginning to think the teachers would rather have girls because they are easier. I was told the child and parent visited and really clicked with the teacher so they took her on the spot. The second school we applied for said she just took an app from a parent of a 3-month old who is applying for age 2.
So today I am going to go and apply for two additional schools (cost is around $50 each to apply and get on the list, no guarantee to get in). Two of the schools I applied to require an interview before acceptance, even if there is a slot. So if they don't like the way your child looks or acts that day, tough luck,you are out the $50. I think part of the reason for the competition here is that most moms work (this is a $$ area) so they need childcare and the public schools are really bad and they are hoping a good ps will lead to a good pvt school. He is already about a year older than most of the kids in tiny tots and the parent-part. ps, by next year he will be 2 years older. Has anyone else dealt with this? It is so frustrating.