Mothering Forum banner

Do you buy off "the list"? UPDATE- POST 90

6K views 100 replies 70 participants last post by  karne 
#1 ·
DS's school just put "the list" up on their website. I'm.... shocked. DS is entering Kindergarten this year so it's the first time we've had to deal with this.

It is a long list. But that doesn't bother me as much as how specific the list is- down to the brand and size of the item.

Why should I buy 5 large Elmers glue sticks when I could buy 60 of the regular sized ones for the same amount of money???

Maybe I'm just cheap.

And, yes, I'm buying the regular glue sticks. LOL!

#52 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyto3girls View Post
If you live in an area where the percentage is low and it would not make a difference for funding, then it could "hurt" the way someone view the school I guess.
We do live in an area where free and reduced #s are low. Of the schools on our end of town, I'd venture to guess that there are 8-10% of kids on free & reduced lunch at the most. Parents rule out schools with higher #s of free & reduced lunch kids b/c they view it as a black mark on the school. So, would our school get no extra $ for dd if she wasn't enough to bump them over the 70% mark (which she won't be)?

#53 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
When DSD was in kindy, I wound up paying $18 for pencils because the teacher wanted special fat ones that I couldn't find anywhere - I had to order them off the internet.
Where *do* you get those pencils at? "The list" says he needs 2 but I've checked a few stores and am coming up empty handed. They have to be sold around here somewhere... why else would the teacher put it on the list!?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
I got the list for my daughter who is going into grade one the last day of school but for my j/k daughter who is starting out it will be mailed in August. I wish I had it so I could get working on it.
Check your schools website. We haven't gotten anything in the mail but the lists are posted on the school website

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbean91 View Post
Have you emailed/talked to her yet?
Not yet. I'm trying to decide whether to email her about it or just suck it up and buy the silly things.
I guess it depends on if they go on sale somewhere. If they do, I'll buy the 5 she requested. If they don't... I don't know. I'm too d*mn frugal to spend $8 on glue sticks! LOL!

#54 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
Where *do* you get those pencils at? "The list" says he needs 2 but I've checked a few stores and am coming up empty handed. They have to be sold around here somewhere... why else would the teacher put it on the list!?!

Not yet. I'm trying to decide whether to email her about it or just suck it up and buy the silly things.
I guess it depends on if they go on sale somewhere. If they do, I'll buy the 5 she requested. If they don't... I don't know. I'm too d*mn frugal to spend $8 on glue sticks! LOL!
Since you can't find the pencils anywhere, you have a good reason to email her anyway. Email her and ask about the list in general, and the pencils and glue sticks specifically.

#56 ·
Last year for K we bought off of the district list. Then the week before school started I got a list directly from his teacher. It had a few differences and I had to go out and get the additional items once I thought I was done. (at k evaluations the teachers did say to wait for the teachers list. But it didn't come until less than a week before school and we eventually decided it just needed to get done).

So this year I'm sending my son's teacher a quick email or asking other parents if this teacher sends out her own list or if I should use the district list.

Doing the same may save you from buying something he doesn't need or it may at least make it so you can get more done earlier. Sounds like you have several questions for her at this point in regards to the list.

#57 ·
After reading this, I went on a search for my son's school's list. It's not too long, but very specific!

Please bring items the first day of school.
No mechanical pencils or gel pens, please.
Please do not label any supplies. All are donated to the class to be shared.

KINDERGARTEN:
15 glue sticks (Avery or UHU… can be found at Office Max, Office Depot or Costco. Please, no colored or purple glue sticks and no other brands as they will not last. Thanks!)
1 container Baby-Wipes
1 set of 12 Crayola colored pencils
1 box of Crayola crayons, 16 color
2 boxes of 8 large Crayola crayons (no Jumbos or So Big)
1 set of 10 large Crayola Classic colored felt tip markers (water base, no scented)
1 dozen Dixon Ticonderoga #2 pencils (This brand only)
1 ream of white paper
1 bottle of hand sanitizer in a pump bottle
Earthquake packet (See packet instructions above)

EARTHQUAKE PACKET FOR ALL GRADE LEVELS
•Comforting note from parents
•Family picture
•$1.00 donation (will be used to buy non-perishable food items)
•Place all items in labeled zip lock bag.

#58 ·
Just for kicks.... here's our list....

1 three-ring (1/2 inch) flexible cover binder
2 plain plastic/poly folders with pockets on the bottom
5 Elmer's large glue sticks (.77 oz)
1 box Crayola washable markers (classic colors only)
2 boxes Crayola crayons (24 count)
1 box of colored pencils
3 containers of antibacterial wipes
2 large rolls of paper towels
2 boxes of Kleenex tissues
1 Fiskars Kid's Scissors (pointed tip NOT the blunt tip)
1 set of Crayola watercolor paints
1 box Ziploc gallon size baggies (with zipper grip track)
1 box Ziploc quart size baggies (with zipper grip track)
10 number 2 pencils with erasers
2 fat pencils with erasers
1 Pink Pearl eraser

#59 ·
The binder/folders will likely be used to send stuff back and forth to you or as a portfolio to send home @ the end of the year. Wipes, paper towels, baggies, etc. will be classroom supplies and if you can't send them day 1, send them when you can or when they go on sale. Ask about wehre to find the fat pencils, b/c the only place I've seen them is a teacher store or maybe Michaels. The rest look like community supplies, but again, ask. You need to know whether to label with Owens name or not. Around here, staples had a sale last year and maybe this year where you got an 8 pack of pencils for a penny. Limit was 2, but I made several trips!

#60 ·
I love that there aren't lists at my kids' school. All school supplies are shared, and parents are asked to donate $25-30/student to cover the cost of supplies. I'd much rather write out a check than hunt through stores trying to find the best deal on specific items.

#61 ·
As public school teacher, I have to agree with Springmom who said that the schools must provide your child with anything they might need.

When we send a list home it is "suggested" supplies. (Items on it are: pencils, a pen, a highlighter, scissors, glue stick, crayons or colored pencils, hand soap, and kleenex) My teaching partner and I usually plan on about 50% of the students bringing in supplies. We purchase some of the rest with money allotted us each year and then we buy the rest on our own.

I do not keep track of who brings supplies in. I do not allow any of the supplies to become community supplies except for kleenex and hand soap. I think many teachers realize that parents don't have the money for all of the supplies. I have never started the year on bad footing with a student because they didn't bring in supplies.

#62 ·
I do what I want honestly. I get what they need, but I'm not going to be picky about the brand. Actually what bothers me more is that the school district here says things like *3 peachies, plain; 1 3 ring binder, white; 1 pack of post it notes, yellow, square, 2"* Stuff like that. I'm sorry, but I used to look forward to picking out my own stuff, unique to ME! So, I let my kids pick what they like. So far I've never heard anything bad about it.

#63 ·
My school doesn't ask kids to buy anything specific. I teach middle school in a preK-8 school, and we encourage the older kids to come with their own pens, pencils, etc. This year we are thinking about asking kids to supply their own calculator and scissors--mostly as an attempt for them to take more ownership and responsibility so we don't have to replace them so often.

It drives me nuts when schools ask families to buy individual packages of things when they are just going to pool the stuff anyway. It is usually much cheaper to buy a classroom pack of bulk crayons, for example, than to buy all those small boxes. I also think it's completely absurd that our schools' budgets don't cover those expenses. I'm pretty spoiled--I've never had to ask families to buy anything because I didn't have enough money in my budget for it. But for schools that don't really have any other choice than to ask parents to buy supplies, I totally understand the need to be specific in brands, sizes, etc. It makes things go so much more smoothly in the classroom when kids are using the same supplies that behave predictably.

#65 ·
The school here do send home a list but it dosnt say brands and actually encourages buying the cheapest you can find on things like binders and folders. The list is really pretty short actually.

She is in 3rd grade
6 packs loose leaf, wide ruled notebook paper (200 count)
#2 wooden pencils
2 folders (3 prong, 2 pocket)
2 folders (2 pocket)
2 boxes crayons 24 count
1 three ring binder (1 inch or whatever is on sale about $1)

Optional
kleenex
anti-bacterial soap or hand sanitizer
paper towels
clorox wipes

So I do buy off the list. But if it did say what brand then I probably would do the best I could and get the cheapest any way.

#66 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
I'd buy the number and size that is requested. In most cases, these are shared/classroom items that may sit in a carousel in the middle of each table, shared by a number of kids. It is easier if they are all the same.
Agreed. The system made more sense to me as the year went on. The teacher knew what she needed and made it clear. Her perspective (having done all this before) was different and better than mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denimtiger View Post
I *have* tucked the wrong kind of supplies onto a shelf for the year, though, and replaced the child's community share from donations or my own pocket.
yeah -- my DD's teacher was the same way. I let her know that I was always happy to send in more of anything if she dropped me an email. I really didn't like the idea of her picking up all the loose ends. Even if it was something like hand sanitizer, it was my way of being supportive to someone who was working VERY hard and doing a fantastic job.

Having homeschooled for years and years and bought curriculum, paid for all extra classes, field trips, etc, I find the cost of school supplies VERY low. It's really a heck of a deal.

I think that I also appreciate my DD's teachers more than some parents. I know that not all kids are so lucky, but DD's teacher last year really put a lot of energy into her teaching.

#67 ·
The lists make sense as long as the teacher doesn't seem to go overboard. The last school we nearly sent The Kid to had everything on the list brand named and sized right down to Puffs Plus With Aloe. Seriously? I can understand preferring one brand, but it is not necessary to classroom peace or whatever excuse they want to come up with to have only Puffs Plus with Aloe in the classroom. It smacks of greed and lack of understanding on the teacher's part, especially combined with the rest of the list with things like paper plates, hand sanitizers, and ziploc bags from every child. If they're wasting that many resources they need to reconsider what their school is teaching.

That said, I don't think all lists are bad. The ones for the school here are very, very simple. The kids need a binder, crayons, pencils, loose paper, folders and the other general stuff. No brand names, no hard to find items...just plain school supplies that will be consumed by the child. We don't send The Kid there (though checked it out again this year to be sure), but I really have to say I'm impressed with how they handle areas like this. It seems to send more of a welcome message than the crazy lists do - because like it or not, the first feeling a child will have is one akin to embarrassment when he sits in that classroom on the first day without all the supplies the list said. He knows, he was with his mom doing the shopping and saw her only get half. He'll be sitting there with his desk half covered as the teacher goes up and down to collect the community supplies. It doesn't matter that the teachers says she tries to make sure the list doesn't matter - it already did.

#68 ·
I've noticed that the kids (parents) are not punctual about bringing the supplies in the first day, so even if a child does only bring in part of the supplies or none at all I doubt that the other kids really pay attention. There will always be straggelers who will bring in the supplies much later. Last year when my son was riding the bus I know it took a while before he was able to bring all his stuff in, just because all the stuff wouldn't fit in his backpack. This year he is on his 5th day and he still needs some stuff but that's just becasue I haven't bought them yet.

Maybe the kids in the older grades realize the behind the scenes workings of the classroom, haven't got there yet with our boys to experience it first hand, but I doubt many of the kids really sit around talking about who brought what.

#70 ·
I bought my DD school supplies today her 1st grade list (around $35 worth not including backpack and lunch container)
there were a few specifics like Fiskar sissors which are all I buy anyways and Twistable crayons that I figured the teacher had a reason to request to obliged. Others things like "clorox disinfectent wipes" or Ziplock bags I figured were more "we need closabe plastic bags and disinfectent wipes and did necessarly get specific brands. Some things I also figured balanced out. I went to Walmart to get the stuff and to there "school supply section" and was determined I'd only go there. Some things on the list said like 1 doz #2 pencils to be shared... well they had packs of 10 and packs of 24 but no packs of 12 the packs of 24 were $.82 so i got that figured someone somewhere in the school could use pencils
but it also said 2 large bottles of Elmers glue and they only had the smaller regular size so I just got 2 of those again figured it all balances out in the end.
I do expect my DD school to provide what she needs but I also understand that I both choose a charter school inorder to not be totally tied down to thetraditional PS ways of the rest of this area. I also know the supply fee the teachers are given can me super small and have known plenty of teachers who end up paying for students needed supplies out of there PERSONAL money and teachers salaries are pathetic enough were in a position to be able to provide for our child and help a little to others so I really do try my best to follow the lists and help.

Deanna

#71 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bits and bobs View Post
I buy off the list because you can order it and they deliver to you for free. Easy for all concerned.
I wish this were an option at our school. Not only would it simplify things, it is so easy to provide the packs for kids whose parents cannot afford school supplies.

I'm quite happy to provide extra for other kids, but I would like it to be done in a way that no child ever need feel shame for what their families can and cannot pay for.

#72 ·
Teachers get kick backs if they name certain brands on their supplies lists. I have seen promotions saying that if a teacher can show they are naming a brand on the supply lists, the teachers will get some sort of freebie. I'll try to find proof.

I looked and found this interesting link:
http://www.desktopschoolsupplies.com/

I think I will do that if our kids ever go to public school again. It was a major hassle and pricey to bring the kids with me for supply shopping. But taking a three year old and a five year old into those crowds may not be a big deal if I am taking older children well in advance of the school year.

#73 ·
We have the option to just give the PTO a set amount of money and then a box with all the school supplies needed for that kid and that grade are delivered to the class. I didn't take the option when my eldest started kindergarten thinking that it would be fun to shop together for school supplies. Boy, was I wrong. I have a "follow the rules to the letter" child and he freaked out when we could not find the exact color and brand pack of markers on the list (I think we needed Crayola fine tip bold and we could only find Crayola fine tip bright...something like that). We had to go to three different Targets until we found the correct kind and substituting was not an option for this by the book kid. So, I learned. Now we give the money and everything is there waiting for us.

We have an ice cream social a couple days before the start of school and that is when everyone brings in their supplies and meets their teacher, finds their locker, etc. The boxes are delivered that night as well. Very easy.

#74 ·
This is our first year of school supply shopping (new school). At the previous school, there were no lists, all supplies were supplied by the school. I confess, I looked longingly at the school supply section of the stores around this time of year...

For my to-be-4th grader, the supply list had no specific brands. For the to-be-1st grader, there were lots of specifics, in bold--Crayola, Large glue sticks, etc. I assume there's a good reason for it, and will follow it as best I can.

Teachers pay for so many extras out of their own pockets! I figure sticking to the list, when it's prepared by the teacher, is a way to help them out.

#76 ·
Our kids are heading back to public school this year after a two year homeschooling hiatus. My 6th grader's list cost me about $42 in supplies. For my two elementary students, I was able to get in on the PTA's group supply buy. Thirty dollars for the 1st grader and $34 for the 4th grader. Not too bad.

Glue sticks always drive me crazy because if you wait too long (like say, September or sometimes mid-August) all the cheap multipacks are gone and you have you buy them singly--very $$$. Smart (cheap) moms buy in July the week they put them on display!

They always insist on "all-wood pencils" too and usually specify Ticonderoga. I guess because these are the only all wood pencils left? I saw some made of recycled compressed paper for much less but perhaps they don't hold up.

When we were in public school previously, the teachers requested things like baby wipes (no problem for me, since I still have a toddler) and specific colors and type of folders to organize subjects (they had a string tie and were hard to find; turned out only one office supply store in our area carried them).

So far I've stuck to the list. When we homeschooled, I bought much, much less (pretty much just paper and new markers every year--who really runs out of pencils and crayons?), but then I had to buy curriculum, so obviously ps is cheaper.

At the end of the year, the teachers at our elementary usually divide up all the supplies that are left and send home a grocery bag full of supplies with each student. Usually we get scissors and colored pencils and maybe some used crayons. The markers are always trashed and thrown out probably.

I definitely like the PTA bulk buy better. Saves me a lot of money, I think. Of course, it would be great if the school could actually supply all this for us with our tax dollars....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.