so when is the first day? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're in Phoenix and we start August 10th.
I don't think it has anything to do with the weather. If we started in September, the weather is identical, over 100 degrees and sweltering. There are several districts in our state that started today, Chandler I know for sure.

I'm pretty sure our schedule of starting in August has to do with trying to align our schedules as closely as possible to our State universities, since teachers like to/ are required to take courses over the summer. Also, another argument for starting in August is High School students can finish finals before Christmas break is over, and have scores submitted - this must be important for college bound kids?

I really don't see it as "losing our summer" I mean, we all get the same 183 ( or whatever it is now) required days of mandated education, we just get ours done in different months. Maybe something like this matters in Seattle where you really NEED the month of August because it's not sunny there very often, but here, it's sunny- too much, so the calendar doesn't matter as much.

I'm glad school is starting Aug 10th- the kids are sick of sitting in the house, it's supposed to be 114 today- it's even too hot too swim. Might as well go sit in school!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm pretty sure our schedule of starting in August has to do with trying to align our schedules as closely as possible to our State universities, since teachers like to/ are required to take courses over the summer.
My DH a college professor was complaining about this. Here they started the summer college secession the SAME week as finials with the highschool he ended up loosing a lot of incomming freshman students wantign to get a jump start because they had to stay in the HS for finials.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 07-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hidden Life View Post
That's nice that you get a week for Thanksgiving! I wish ours did that.
i never knew ppl had that... ppl around here are starting to all want 2 weeks for spring...
Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 AM

September 1st.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my daughter got out June 18th and school starts back up either the 3rd or 4th. Last year school started the 4th.

If i had my way she wouldn't be going but i agreed to the compromise hubby made of seeing how she does in 1st grade and will pull her out before Dec if i really feel the need to, if no she will go til dec then we will decide from there.
I really want to homeschool her and this was the compromise ,she struggled alot in K.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 PM

Im in Texas, and we start Aug. 24th and get out first week of June. 1 week Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas, I week spring break in March.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:52 PM

My students begin August 13th and my own kids start the 17th. I have never understood why the hurricane affected states start in August, one of the busiest months. (This includes mine, LA, LOL). I wish sometimes we went September-June instead, but it would clash with university schedules.

Oh, having exams and scores before Christmas break isn't necessary for college bound seniors. Most high schools just like having exams before Christmas. To do this, you have to start in early August. I do like having exams before the long holiday- the scores are higher and I don't have to re-teach things. Also, we are on the 4x4 block, so I get all new kids in January. It is a sensible division.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:01 AM

We are starting August 31 (eek! I have less than a month to get my lessons and classroom and everything ready!). Usually we start the day after Labor Day, but the way it falls this year would have had us still in school in July, practically. Last year we got out June 22, I think.

I've also never heard of a week off for Thanksgiving! We get Thursday and Friday off and that's it. When I was growing up in PA we also got the Monday after off, but that was mostly because that was the first day of deer season! Here in Maine we get a whole week off in Feb and another week off in April. We also usually have at least 5 snow days over the course of the year that we have to make up at the end.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:11 AM

My son starts the tenth(of august) and he gets out may 31st i think. Its late.
Personally, i think its pretty crappy he only gets 2 months of vacation time, and what is worse is that my husband and I are in school too, except ours starts the 19th of august, and gets out may 17th. Its very difficult planning wise. I wish our schools would align with the university
Oh, and two weeks for winter break, and one for spring break.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Old 08-01-2009, 05:37 PM

Both of my girls start August 24th. One is starting preschool and one is starting Kinder.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

Old 08-02-2009, 02:23 AM

we start the 17th.

We also have a week off for Thanksgiving and also a week off in February for "presidents week"? It sounds sounds silly to me, but I like how there are "breaks" every month of the school year either by a week long string of half days or a week long break.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 PM

My oldest starts 2nd grade Aug 17. Our school is out by Memorial Day and they have the usual breaks, plus almost a week right before Labor Day for our county fair.

My youngest starts preschool Sept 8.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:38 PM

It's law here in Michigan now that everyone must start AFTER Labor Day, so this year, it's Sept. 8 for most districts. DD will be heading to Kindergarten! Usually release for summer break is in mid-June. It use to be that most were either the week before or the week after Labor Day. Growing up, we moved out of MI for one year, and the schools started in mid-August, and got out in late May. It felt so weird, after years and years of starting around Labor Day and going until mid June.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our last day of school for the year was June 18 and we are starting again on September 8.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 08-08-2009, 06:08 PM

13 and 11 year olds start on Sept 1. 9 year old starts on Sept 9. And 5 year old starts August 24.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:46 PM

We start Aug 11th - got out of school May 21st.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

User Tag List