Support for former homeschoolers now public schooling - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 338 Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post

mom2ponygirl~ I didn't request it in writing since i was told i didn't need to since the teachers have already went to the school district about my daughters problems.T
I wouldn't believe them when they say you don't need to put it in writing. They may mean well but they will still let it slide unless there is a paper trail. It is human nature in a large and busy place. Go ahead and put it in writing and if they fuss, just smile and say, Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood, I thought I needed to have it in writing. Now, when will that evaluation be done?
#332 of 338 Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

We are so glad to be out, Alex was sent home with a 12 page packet to do over christmas break* she said she was the only one that got that packet*
Found out the district really does drag their feet when getting a evaluation done, her teachers have to try some things in class with her for 6weeks before they will attempt to move forward to doing a formal evaluation.
I'd go ahead and make a written request for the evaluation as soon as schools reopen in January. Making your DD suffer for another 6 weeks is NOT acceptable.

What kind of packet is it? 12 pages sounds like a lot, but it might not be so bad if it's only a few things on each page. Is it too hard for her? Does she get anxious if you take out the packet and work on it with her? I wouldn't force her to do it if it's too hard or anxiety-producing, or if you personally can't see the educational benefit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslyn View Post
Can I join? After 2 1/2 yrs of HS we decided to try ps after the winter break..I'm reallly nervous since my kids have never set foot inside ps, but after begging and pleading and a cross country move we figured we'd give it a shot..keeping our fingers crossed here!
Welcome!!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#333 of 338 Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ruthla~ She is doing okay working on it.Dh thinks they started the process the month before the parent teacher confrence * which was the start of this month* so he thinks their 6wks of trying to help her is almost up.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#334 of 338 Old 12-29-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:

mom2ponygirl Of course my dh thinks her getting 12pages of work to do is fine and doesn't want to pull her out of school yet.

It seems to me (and I have read this whole thread) that you are not OK with her being in school and how it is unfolding...and DH is.

I doubt any of this is going to change any time soon. Your DD has been in school several months now, you have given it a good shot and do not like it as far as I can tell.

Why does your husband get to decided where she goes to school? Why is his say more valued than yours? When do you get to try things a different way - as what he wants is not working for you and it is highly questionable whether it is working for your DD?

Honestly, I think you need to have it out with the man.

Hugs,

kathy
#335 of 338 Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Snow Day, hurray!
#336 of 338 Old 01-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My girls are back at school today. I think it would be a waste of a snow day if we had today off- they'll appreciate the break a lot more when they've actually been in school.

I will say, though, that having "homework for the break" at the middle and high school level makes a lot of sense. Instead of "partying for a week and a half" and then jumping back into school today, they spent the weekend doing homework and getting back into the school mindset before they returned.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#337 of 338 Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslyn View Post
Can I join? After 2 1/2 yrs of HS we decided to try ps after the winter break..I'm reallly nervous since my kids have never set foot inside ps, but after begging and pleading and a cross country move we figured we'd give it a shot..keeping our fingers crossed here!
Well the kids were SUPPOSED to be able to start today, however the district will not let them start without any records from California (we tried a virtual academy this fall to have my dd tested for special ed) so we wait until they decide to get off their arses and test them or get something from California..what a pita

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#338 of 338 Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm super late in finding this thread! Hi! shy.gif

My DS ( almost 8) has been homeschooled since Kindergarten, but DH and I feel maybe he needs to go to Public School next year (for various reasons). My DD (6) has gone to public school and they both seem a bit excited to go to school together :) But I'm sure it will still be an adjustment for my little man. 

aknit.gif trekkie.gif mama to DS reading.gif and DD energy.gif autismribbon.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page