Support for former homeschoolers now public schooling - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 338 Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
Dd likes it, feels accepted, enjoys her teachers and classmates, has developed a greater interest in science. She's found more importance in brushing her hair, dressing neatly, and keeping up with her stuff.
GREAT!!!

Quote:
But, it bugs me that the teacher doesn't care enough/have enough time/have enough sense to at least change up the tests from the previous year.
let it go. if you let every little imperfection bug you, the whole thing will seem negative. Overall, school is a good thing for your DD. Nothing is perfect.

I'm not sure what I would do about the geometry teacher, though. The kids need feedback. However, it seems like you are more interested in the grades right now than the learning, and that will end up just driving you nuts.

Quote:
I don't think dd has made any new friends. She mostly likes to observe the kids in her classes like some sort of anthropological study - how they talk instead of paying attention, etc. She talks to people and is not made fun of or picked on, so perhaps friends will come in time.
It's VERY early on. The younger the children, the easier it is to be *be friends.* She's older, so it takes some time to figure out who they want to be friends with.

Quote:
I hate doing things like this, it is one of the reasons I homeschooled for so long!
you list many, many positive things about how this is working out for your Dd, and yet your post is overall negative in tone.

If homeschooling had been working well, she wouldn't be in school right now. It really sounds like she's thriving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
we are really outclassed at this school and I'm not sure how I will personally handle that. I don't want to get wrapped into a game of keep up that I'll NEVER have a hope of winning. We are working middle class and proud of that fact, but sometimes it gets old always trying to make ends meet when other people just spend, spend, spend. Tomorrow night we have a new parents dinner and I'm a little nervous about what to expect. Maybe as I meet these people and realize that they are just people (who happen to be able to afford $9000 a child a year for school) I'll feel a little better about it? We'll see...

We use public school, but a friend of mine who doesn't have a lot of money but has kids in a very snotty, I mean very good, private school on scholarships. She doesn't really like very many of the other moms. She is very polite to them, but they aren't her friends.

When they start getting on her nerves, she just keeps repeating in her head "thank you for paying my child's way through school, thank you for paying my child's way through school." She really loves the school and believes it is the best place for her kids, yet they could never afford it. It is the gifts of people that she really doesn't enjoy who make it possible, so she just focuses on gratitude and has friends other places.

OUR UPDATE
My 11 year old is doing great. She is learning, having fun, and making friends.

My 12 year old is driving me bonkers. She is sullen, grouchy, and acts like I'm the enemy. This isn't caused by going to school -- I decided she had to go to school because she was driving me bonkers at home all the time. I'm frustrated and sad. This is a child who was APed, carried in a sling, tandem nursed, GD, family bed, relaxed homeschooled, and has spent her childhood going to the zoo, baking cookied, playing with art supplies, etc. I've spent a huge chunk of my life giving her a great childhood, and now she is just..... :

Her school work is going fine, and she walks out of the building with a smile on her face at the end of the day. Then she turns into an negative little energy vampire.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#62 of 338 Old 09-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
List 5 things you LIKE about your school experience.

1. My son is surrounded with children. We didnt have a community here for socializing.

2. 2 of my kids get the experience of a lifetime - RIDING THE bus!!!! :

3. I have only one child at home for the first time in 4 years, through which I have really really needed a break. It is nice to have one on one time with her.

4. Lots of crafts at dd's school that I dont have to clean up, set up, or pay for.

5. it has added an element of schedule into our lives that we really really needed and I couldn't seem to implement on my own.

Just do this even if you only have ONE to add. perhaps tomorrow add another.
#63 of 338 Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 PM

this morning was tough. Treating myself gently today.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1131731

not to mention my 3 yr old doesnt like school and doesnt want to o. She was supposed to e the EASY one!
#64 of 338 Old 09-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Subbing.

My oldest, a 1st grader, is in a charter school after homeschooling until March.
#65 of 338 Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM

1. I have regular time to myself for the first time in nearly 13 years.

2. We need a schedule. We really need a schedule.

3. Our public school is wonderful -- small and well funded with caring teachers.

4. My children are more motivated to learn in a group.

5. My kids get a break from their birth order.

6. My kids get to see how they compare to their peers, which has been really good for both of them.

7. We are more connected to the community. Homeschooling was isolating for us here.
briansmama likes this.

#66 of 338 Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 AM

Jumping in here, so glad to find this thread...I needed to find some peeps like us.

...have a almost 11 yr old who has hs'ed about half her school life, a 8 yr old who has never really gone and has Asperger's along with other fun labels like gifted/Math LD, and a kindie.

Our is a charter Waldorf-inspired. All in all, pretty pleased. And my plan is to go back to school. Next week. (we are on week 3)

However DD who's 5 started crying hysterically when I was leaving today. I brought her home, thinking she's tired from a trip we took this weekend. But after a day at home, she's still not wanting to go.

I don't want to HS anymore. Really, at all. I'm so burned and wasn't great at it.

I do think I would like to use their early PU option (cutting off 2 hrs from her day, 4 days a week) However I can't.

AFter reading here, am really clinging to the hope that she will be more acclimated/less tired after a few more weeks....I just hate seeing my baby hurting.

The others are doing okay/good. I'm satisfied. They do a lot of outdoor time, not a lot of workbook, etc. Art and music are a bit more heavy here...

I don't know...verdict still out though I think we're pretty commited. Just wishing I had more room in the plan to assist the transition for my kindergartner.

Nice to see you all here. :
#67 of 338 Old 09-03-2009, 01:01 AM

You mammas ROCK. I feel so totally at home here in this little group we have. Linda on the Move, I could have written your post about the things I like about school. Literally word for word. I'm too tired right now, but soon I'll write my own list.

Indigolilybear---Hang in there hon! I'm certain it will go better for you all. Dang, I an envying your Waldorf-inspired charter! The only one around here is too far, way too far, to drive every day. It would cost big $$$$$ in gas and hours of driving every week. We're stuck with the local PS. You're lucky to have that (I mean, in my humble opinion.)

Good night ladies.
#68 of 338 Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 PM

No, you're right, we're lucky. Thanks for the reminder.

Drop off was a tentative success today....tears began, but not til the last minute, teacher swooped on it, and took her off to help make copies and talk to her...so I feel good about it....not sure where it's coming from....or if it's just overwhelm.

I think the hardest thing for me as a former HS'er is that I don't think of school as 'necessary' KWIM? So in some ways, I think it's also culture shock for me. I WANT to say, "hey, you don't feel like going, don't then." but my DH works in PS's and said (not in this exact way) that I was wrong to react the way I did...Oh well. And am trying to remember the big picture and do value the program they have there....and don't see HS'ing as being a better option for her at this point...

eh, every day is an adventure, right?

Hope all is well w/the rest of your little 'schoolers'.

and I also almost exactly have the same reasons Linda on the Move listed...It's so nice to find a cybercommunity here....
#69 of 338 Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Oh yeah, this little community of former HSers ROCKS!!! And Indigolilybear, I didn't mean to devalue or dismiss what you are both going through, by saying about how lucky you are to have the Waldorf charter. I re-read my post and it sounded, well, like I was dismissing your struggles. But I'm not at all. Gads, I totally get what you are saying. I also don't see school as "necessary" after years of HSing, and I also have the tendency to say, "Hey, if you don't like it, you don't have to go, etc." It is really, really hard to watch our little cubs have any sadness and stress at drop-off, and to think that they might feel sad and miss us during the say. It's a really hard thing as a mom, isn't it? It's just very to see our little one not smiling. Very hard. Well, she will probably grow to LOVE her little Waldorfy school, and if she doesn't (unlikely), you really can keep her home again. Sounds like the teacher is nice though. I wish you all the luck with your transition.

My three kids walked to their school this morning, with Daddy. It will be good for them to start walking there in the morning, because it will help to counteract all that sitting they have to do. I'm also planning to have the older ones swim before school three days a week, or at least DS since he is always up really, really early and is literally bursting with energy. Literally bursting at the seams to exercise, at any time of day.

Reasons that school is good right now:

1. Nice community! I see so many nice moms at drop-off, and feel for the first time like we are part of our community. It rocks. HSing was so isolating. I hated driving all the time for them to see kids, and half the time we wouldn't see any kids anyway, not until swim practice every afternoon.

2. Time to myself for the first time in 12 years. I mean, I still have the two little ones at home, but that is OK. I don't think I could go "cold turkey" to zero kids right now, LOL! I might implode or something. But anyway, it's quiet in the house now, and the little ones are just happy to do whatever, and don't have a freakin agenda like the older ones always did. It's relaxing to walk on the beach and hang out at the library and coffee shop. SO MUCH EASIER.

3. The kids get a break from each other and from me, and from their birth order (in the words of Linda on the Move.) No more fighting and bickering. It's good for everyone to break the habit of fighting all the time, and to have home be a haven again instead of them seeing it as a battleground because they're so sick of each other.

4. For the first time, we might get to actually save money. PS is free, unlike the myriad of activities we did every month as HSers. Not to mention, all the gas money we will save. Not only is PS free, but they are so happy to go! Can't beat that!!

5. For me, there is SO MUCH less stress, and this will really help my mental health. The stress of having five kids together (and bickering) all the time was bad for them and bad for me. It was getting really bad, like where I was considering anti-anxiety meds or anti-depressants. When all I really needed was a break from the little buggers. (Still thinking about meds though.)

6. They might actually LEARN some stuff, academically speaking, without my having to teach them. We are unschoolish anyway, which I love, but the older kids were getting pretty remedial in math and writing.

OK, time to go grab a shower. I don't want to spend all day in my PJs.

Take care mammas!! The weekend is coming, and we'll soon all be able to be together with our cubs again as families! I love the weekends now and actually treasure being with them, because now I miss them. I'm jealously guarding nearly every moment of family time on the weekends. Anyone else feel like that?
#70 of 338 Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler View Post

OK, time to go grab a shower. I don't want to spend all day in my PJs.
Some hs habits die hard. :
#71 of 338 Old 09-03-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolilybear View Post
I think the hardest thing for me as a former HS'er is that I don't think of school as 'necessary' KWIM?
While school may not be necessary, I believe that it is the best place for my kids right now.

So my advice is to get clear in your own head about whether or not it is the best place for her, and then go confidently in that direction (which ever direction you believe that to be).

Quote:
I WANT to say, "hey, you don't feel like going, don't then." but my DH works in PS's and said (not in this exact way) that I was wrong to react the way I did...Oh well.
If the reality is that she is going to go to school, then visualize her overcoming this. Help her find her strength. My DH is always so much better at this than me -- I want to jump in with how my kids feel in the moment and just get stuck there with them, but he has this way of letting them feel the way they feel while being totally confident in their ability to move forward. He can look them in the eye and say something like, "you are a strong person and you are ready for this." Rather than ever feeling shut down, they feel believed in.

Like I said, I'm no good at that at all, but it's really great for my kids that they have one parent who is!!

UPDATE ON US

I'm having a hard time feeling both validated for the years that I spent homeschooling and for the choice to have them in school now. When non-homeschooling people say good things about the kids being in school, it always sounds like they are putting down homeschooling. And homeschooling was a great thing for us for many, many years.

I really enjoyed all the time we spent together when they were little, the lazy days on making playdough in our jammies. Five in Row was highlight of our homeschool experience.

It just that none of what we did really worked well as they got older, and we now live where there isn't any support for secular homeschooling. And I'm really ready for nice quiet days with no hormonal adolescents. Homeschooling was wonderful for them and me for a long time, and then for a while we homeschooled and it wasn't really working for any of us, so now we are doing something different.

#72 of 338 Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 PM

Yes Linda, it is the same for me! lack of validation for all the years we invested, and only validation from schooled friends for putting them in school. I kind of expected this though. We also live iin an area where there are very few secular supports for HSing. Do we live in parallel universes? So many of your posts, I could write them myself. My DH is also like you describe, better at looking at the kids objectively and supporting them than I am. And HSing as the kids got older.....same here....I still was happy doing it, but they weren't, and even trying to mix it up a bit, didn't help.

How old are your kids, mammas? Mine are 6 months, 3, 6, 9 and 11.
#73 of 338 Old 09-03-2009, 02:43 PM

It's so interesting to see the word "isolating" come up so many times. I've used that word many times in the past few months, too. I made the decision that things were going to change in April of this year and have been working toward that since then. When people asked why, "isolating" was often on the list. I love my kids and I have more friends who homeschool than not, but the fact is that we ALL needed something outside of the house and my friends didn't seem to feel that way, so we'd be looking to go somewhere and do something 2-3 days a week and everyone else would be wanting to go somewhere and do something like...once every couple of months? I was mind-numbing isolation. I felt so very alone, like it was me and my kids against the world. Then I found out I was pregnant and I knew I couldn't do it anymore! It had to change.

Things I'm happy with:
1. DS is adjusting so well and appears to genuinely like being in school and surrounded by kids. I'm thrilled about that.
2. Having a schedule imposed on us is a good thing. They are both getting better about hygiene, tooth brushing, bathing, clean clothes, etc.
3. DS is totally at or above grade level, "in spite of" my really laid back, almost unschooly attitude toward homeschooling
4. I really enjoy not having to plan his school work and I'm not resentful of the homework at all. It's usually very practical, simple, easy-to-do work that reinforces what they've done during the day
5. DS2 is getting to where he can see that he's missing out on something, which is exactly what I'd hoped for him this year. I really think next year he'll be itching to get in on the experience.

All of that said, DS2 is making me CRAZY at home and I really, really do not want to have to "do school" with him. I'm so jealous of those of you who have alone time right now. I keep thinking "if he were in school, I'd only have the little one while I do XXX." Next year, I'll have my hands full with two little ones. So I do really wish that I had some time with just the baby at home while he's still the baby .

And I'm soooo tired. The kids are fine. It's me that is just wiped out. Yes, I'm pregnant, and only 14w pregnant, so I know that's a lot of it, but I am taking at least an hour nap every day when the baby naps, going to bed at 8:30 to 9:00 (7:30 the other night!), and waking up at the very last possible minute. It's not that I'm not a morning person, it's just that I'm sooooo tired!! I worry about what it's going to be like getting four kids ready to go out the door every morning by 7:30. I guess the littles won't have to be dressed (nor will I, for that matter), but ack...it's gonna take some getting used to!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#74 of 338 Old 09-03-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
It's so interesting to see the word "isolating" come up so many times. I've used that word many times in the past few months, too. I made the decision that things were going to change in April of this year and have been working toward that since then. When people asked why, "isolating" was often on the list. I love my kids and I have more friends who homeschool than not, but the fact is that we ALL needed something outside of the house and my friends didn't seem to feel that way, so we'd be looking to go somewhere and do something 2-3 days a week and everyone else would be wanting to go somewhere and do something like...once every couple of months? I was mind-numbing isolation. I felt so very alone, like it was me and my kids against the world.
yes! yes! yes!

Whats up with this?
#75 of 338 Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 PM

Freestyler, I totally got your meaning so no offense. It was a good reality check however for me to realize how hard it would've been for me to go to a traditional PS.....it helped me validate my choice and 'chose' it again, with renewed conviction.

Linda on the Move-thank you for the thoughtful reply. I didn't read it til post-school but I ended up doing most of what you suggested.

quote:
"So my advice is to get clear in your own head about whether or not it is the best place for her, and then go confidently in that direction (which ever direction you believe that to be)."

I think the thing for me about the above statement that I"m really coming to terms with, is that either way, I do believe the program is a great place for her in general. The biggest change/challenge for ME is that after years of doing really only "whatever is best for the kids", I am going back to school, for my own interest but mostly for securing more income for our family, long-term. So for me, there is a lot of guilt when I realize, for example, that I have more duties I have chosen and that I am no longer ONLY considering her needs. Which is HUGE for me. And though logically, I think best for our family, it's still fraught with complex feelings for me. So when I read this, I realized though I do believe it's a fine place for her to be, that whether or not she's completely ready, she's going to go. Now of course if it became blatantly obvious that it wasn't working, we'd reconsider.

And I totally agree that I do the same thing you mentioned, getting stuck where they are now rather than having confidence in them.

Re:validation. Though I feel very very done now with hs'ing, I haven't gotten a ton of feedback from anyone really. Though it does irk me (and I do clarify) when people make assumptions I feel are faulty about HS...What is shocking to me, is how passionately I felt about HS'ing and how I almost feel the exact opposite now. Anyone else experiencing this? I don't miss it at all.

Oh, and my kids are almost 11, 8.5 and 5.

smooth schooling mamas.
#76 of 338 Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 AM

I am loving this thread. :::
#77 of 338 Old 09-04-2009, 01:19 AM

Hi...just butting in here. I have kids in public school and I want to throw in some ideas, particularly for Freestyler. And hey stranger!

I have no problem keeping a child home if they are super tired or letting them be late if it's been a rough night.

If you are concerned about exercise find out what their exact daily schedule is and take them to an "appt". during a down time(like the class right after a test might be light while preparing for the next test)take them out for that hour for pure exercise and take them back. You may excuse your child from class for health appts after all Alternate so they are missing different classes and alternate which child you take out.

If a child needs a day off, keep them home, call the school, ask for notes/homework and let them rest.

Take note of your daughter's explosions on a calendar to see if there is a cycle(which happened for both my older daughters before they ever got a period, I believe their bodies were gearing up but not ovulating as early as 9)and make sure she gets extra sleep or even keep her home if you have to on days you can pinpoint she might need some extra rest or exercise.

Also, for your daughter...the oldest...I just encountered someone in real life who had a very explosive child. In therapy it was discovered that while he was very social she also had introverted qualities in that she needed down time alone, space and quiet to recharge from highly social situations. They gave her a room of her own to retreat to and things changed drastically once she had a place to recoup. I dont' know if this applies at all but thought I would toss that out there...my friends' daughter would never had been thought to be introverted because many people think it means shy.

That's all I have. I find school goes better when it's balanced and kids are allowed to not burn out on it.
#78 of 338 Old 09-04-2009, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

freestyler, I loved post #69--very similar thoughts in my own head. Glad to see the conversation is still going strong.

We just had our Meet & Greet with the teachers today at the elementary and my middle schooler picked up her schedule. The teachers finally signed a contract and the first day of school was pushed back one day, so now we start Sept. 9.

My 6yo is starting to say things like, "I'm really going to like school but I'm not going to be any good at it." My 9yo is worried she'll be behind in math--we used Math-U-See Gamma, so she'll actually be ahead in some areas, but will need to get a review course in division since MUS doesn't introduce that til the next book. My 11yo is thrilled to be going to the middle school even though not a single one of her good friends are in any of her classes--just one yucky boy we know through church LOL (he's actually a good kid, but sort of a mischief maker and maybe shy).

My husband is still not too thrilled about the kids not being homeschooled this year. This was definitely my decision. I am really looking forward to the break though and hopefully he'll come around to see that this decision was in the best interests of the family.

Still working on getting the kiddos up at the proper hour. I need to make *myself* get to bed earlier! I'm such an introvert though, I love that quiet time to myself at the end of the day when everyone else is asleep. Hard to shorten that time.

I am sort of dreading the first behavior incident at school--you know, the sort of thing that administrators or teaching staff will attribute to us being former homeschoolers. My 6yo especially is very independent minded and curious. What mischief will she get into? I can only imagine.

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
#79 of 338 Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 AM

I need some advice on my 3 yr old. I never even thought I would send a chhild that young to school ut she seemed so "schooly" I thought she would LOVE it.

Turns out its too much for her. the day is too long, we dont have any option to shorten it, (headstart) Its just too much. I am encouraging her as much as I can but she is just nonstop mean the whole time we are together in the AM and PM. And add that to the fact that they have "rest" time so her bedtime is pushed back at least an hour and I have to deal with her anger that much longer.

I cannot pull her because I may be working soon and it wont make up for childcare I have to pay for. $$

She is very homesick.

We are only a week in...My dh kind of freaked on me that I even mentioned pulling her out because I think he has been waiting for me to get burnt out so I would send the kids to "real school" anyways.

I kind of wonder how long to give it before I give up. I am thinking a month. ???

#80 of 338 Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM

My former-HS son will start 1st grade on Wednesday. We got his teacher assignment and looked at his class' website. I'm pretty excited about it but he says he's not going to like it and he's going to quit. We'll take it one week at a time.
I am worried that math will be too easy for him based on what the website says about the curriculum, he's pretty good at math and that was a problem we had when we tried school last year (for a month). I think the reading will be fine, although I'm worried about his awful handwriting and complete lack of spelling/sight words. With homeschooling, of course, we moved at his pace in every subject so he's advanced in some and behind in others. I hope his teacher doesn't judge him or me based on that.
#81 of 338 Old 09-04-2009, 12:36 PM

Hotmama---I think we all have worried to some extent about our kids' "levels" academically. I know in my case, that worry ended up being unfounded. After 12 years of unschooling, and I mean total unschooling, my 3 school kids are ahead in almost everything in their grades---and this is a "Blue Ribbon School" that is supposed to be so advanced, blah blah blah. In other words, I think half of what is done in schools tends to move at a VERY SLOW pace. I was really surprised by that, and also somewhat relieved. My kids have lousy handwriting, that's all, but their teachers don't seem to care. At all. So try not to worry---I'm sure the levels will work themselves out fine.

Hey Allgirls!! Nice to see you!! Did you know we had a fifth baby? He's gorgeous. : And thank you for the advice. Yep, our oldest is still pretty explosive. Sometimes I think something is wrong with her. But otherwise, she is healthy and normal and great with other kids. Parenting.....sigh....why don't people tell us it's gonna be this hard?

Well ladies, have a good day!!
#82 of 338 Old 09-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Transformed, I'm sorry your DD is having a hard time. I'm really not sure what to say because while I had a 3yo in school 5 days a week a couple of years ago, he loved it. It was also a half-day program, though.

I'm supposed to be cleaning today for DS3s birthday party tomorrow (he turned ONE yesterday!!). I cleaned my entire bedroom and started working on the "front room" which is supposed to be a living area, but is really just a catch-all...it has a pool table in it, which has GOT TO GO because we never play because it's too loud with littles in the house and because we're going to be converting our "back room" (currently our living room) into a 3rd bathroom and 5th bedroom before little one #4 is here. ANYWAY...the front room also ended up being our landing zone for school stuff. I'm not getting rid of everything because DS2 is still at home and because I love having lots of educational books around, but WOW, did it feel good to toss the math and LA workbooks from DS1 and to consolidate all of the crayons, markers, glue, and pencils into a small pencil box for each of them. I'm not sad about that at all, which surprises me a little bit! ::

I'm looking forward to it looking less and less like we homeschool. I always strived for it not to look like we homeschooled (no timelines posted up around the dining room or anything!), but I had given in to a school-ish area of the house and honestly, the biggest clue that we homeschooled was the constant mess because the kids were always here. So yeah, I'm looking forward to getting things cleaned up a little more each week .

And I meant to say the other day that ITA on the validation thing. I homeschooled for three years. My kid is one of the brightest in his very upscale private school class. Give me some credit for that, would you? I mean, just because we're no longer doing it doesn't mean that you can laugh and tell me how silly of an idea that was (not that anyone has done THAT specifically, but I really get that feeling, like people think "oh, she came to her senses" when I say that we used to homeschool). I guess I do need to admit that it wasn't working and move on, but I do think I'd like for someone (besides DS, who has said it in a letter he had to write to last year's teacher ) to admit that we did a pretty darn good job, ya know!?

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#83 of 338 Old 09-04-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hidden Life View Post
I am sort of dreading the first behavior incident at school--you know, the sort of thing that administrators or teaching staff will attribute to us being former homeschoolers.
This is my 11 year olds second year in school and nothing like that ever came up. The staff was always great. DD had a few times where she didn't realize what was expected of her, but her teacher would told her nicely, and it was never a big deal.

It's not like the other children are perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolilybear View Post
The biggest change/challenge for ME is that after years of doing really only "whatever is best for the kids",
It sounds like you believe her being in school and you continueing your education IS what's best for her. There has been a change in my parenting of always defining "what make my child happy in the moment" as being the same as "what is best for my child." I used to think they were the same thing, now I don't.

It still feels funky when it comes up, but I'm not in the same space I was.

Quote:
Though it does irk me (and I do clarify) when people make assumptions I feel are faulty about HS...What is shocking to me, is how passionately I felt about HS'ing and how I almost feel the exact opposite now. Anyone else experiencing this? I don't miss it at all.
I totally relate.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it looking less and less like we homeschool.
I love coming home after dropping them off, picking up the breakfast dishes, wiping off the counters, and knowing they will stay looking just like that until 3:30!!!!! This makes me feel unbelievably happy.

Quote:
I guess I do need to admit that it wasn't working and move on, but I do think I'd like for someone (besides DS, who has said it in a letter he had to write to last year's teacher ) to admit that we did a pretty darn good job, ya know!?
My DH has told me.

#84 of 338 Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:

And I meant to say the other day that ITA on the validation thing. I homeschooled for three years. My kid is one of the brightest in his very upscale private school class. Give me some credit for that, would you? I mean, just because we're no longer doing it doesn't mean that you can laugh and tell me how silly of an idea that was (not that anyone has done THAT specifically, but I really get that feeling, like people think "oh, she came to her senses" when I say that we used to homeschool). I guess I do need to admit that it wasn't working and move on, but I do think I'd like for someone (besides DS, who has said it in a letter he had to write to last year's teacher ) to admit that we did a pretty darn good job, ya know!?
It sounds like you did a great job - and gave your kids what they needed when they needed it!
#85 of 338 Old 09-04-2009, 05:59 PM

Things I'm happy with:

1. DD seems so happy every time she talks about going to school again this year and being in 1st grade.

2. Our public school is wonderful. She had a caring K teacher.

3.Having free time to sew without trying to keep a eye on the kids or only sew at night after they are in bed.

4.Her attitude has made my 3 yr old excited about going to preschool for 2hours each morning 5days a week.

5.That i will get more one on one time with my 3 yr old

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(10),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#86 of 338 Old 09-05-2009, 02:22 PM

SoCaliMommy---What kind of sewing do you enjoy? I make quilts. There are a lot of quilters up in Long Beach, I think.

My first grader likes her school too. :
#87 of 338 Old 09-05-2009, 06:05 PM

so, i haven't finished reading the whole thread yet, but will keep reading as i can we homeschooled pre-k, k and most of first grade. my dd went to school for the last six weeks last year. i wasn't highly impressed, but hey is was the last six weeks, so there were many areas i thought would be better this year if we didn't switch to homeschooling.

now were in 2nd grade (by we i mean she ) and i'm not impressed. it's ok, i'm glad she's getting to be around other kids and have school friends. since the beginning of homeschooling we've moved often and it had been difficult to get involved with a group or in classes (which can also be out of our budget sometimes) so i had struggled with feeling like my kiddo wasn't getting enough other kid time, esp. since she is a social kid. so really that's the only benefit i see for her. i look at the material that comes home and the lack of communication ( that's how i see it, i'm used to being involved in every aspect of her education) and i wonder what they do all day.

another aspect of her attending school is it has been very good for me. i am at home with a ds who is 3. since marrying my hubby almost 9 yrs ago we've moved a ton and i've been pretty bad about being overwhelmed with the responsibility of caring for my family and home. dd going to school has taken the pressure of schooling away (which was probably uneccessary stress i was giving myself) and i feel it allows more freedom to work on organizing life. oh, i'm also a singer and songwriter, not employed, but those are my passions, along with learning guitar and keys, and i feel like i have more time for that as well.

so . . . some good some bad, but i think overall it's where we need to be right now. i'm hoping that as i try to find balance in life i'll get to where i feel able to homeschool her again though i am feeling strongly that my unbalanced homeschooling crazy moving around life was a much better education. oh, and we may move again soon. i hope to know in two weeks if we'll go to hawaii or not . . . if we do i'm thinking i'll try homeschooling the rest of second grade.

well, i'm not sure i went anywhere with all that, but thanks for letting me share. i look forward to reading the posts i didn't get to yet.
#88 of 338 Old 09-05-2009, 07:06 PM

I think I enjoy the counter staying clean longer too, as someone else mentioned!! ANd that ONE meal of the day, I don't personally hear about. We try to do healthy but also fun foods, so I pack it in the a.m., and they eat it. Can't believe how much easier that is than getting 'feedback' on ALL the meals I feed them as well as the constant "Mom, I'm hungry" chant that happens all day.

How is everyone feeling? This is our first 'down' weekend. We really went gungho and usually have Sat. music classes, then our spiritual center on Sun. so that leaves no relaxed mornings...but this weekend, it's a three day one, we don't have music cuz of the holiday so since we traveled all last weekend, this is my first breather, though I start school Tues.

I feel, well, just drained. ALso realized between my itty bitty sister getting married last weekend, I am feeling a bit adrift....kinda like everything is changing so fast and big.....trying to give myself some time and space to absorb all this even if only to get through all the stuff we now do!

enjoy the weekend mamas....
briansmama likes this.
#89 of 338 Old 09-06-2009, 03:54 PM

This thread has been so great to read. I don't qualify as a former hs'er--my oldest, a 5.5 yr old, started All day public school K this year. But my HEART was homeschooling/unschooling since he was born. Back then I was 110% sure he wouldn't go to K, but we'd take it year by year after that. So I was in hs'ing groups bigtime starting when he was 3, our circle of friends was almost exclusively hs'ers or alternative schoolers, and my dh and I even went to many board meetings for a Sudbury model school that opened last year, thinking if we went school at all, it would be unschooling for sure. But then ds's personality emerged, and I guess it was strong enough that we couldnt' ignore it...the thing is, *I* loved school. why am I so surprised he wanted to go? why didn't he love the sudbury model school (when we visited)? He BEGGED to be in a big school, ride the bus, have homework even!!, etc. I know loads of hs'ing families that either successfully diverted their kids ideas about wanting to go to school, or their kids never asked, or the kids always loved what they were doing from the start. MY kid was always begging to be surrounded by other kids, not at home. he craves routine and even following directions, doing dittos! after his first week of ps, I asked him, so do you like it? NO mom, he says, I LOVE It. He wouldn't even let me follow him (in my car) to school on the first day when he rode the bus, so I could be there when he got off it, and walk him to his classroom. NO mom, he says, I'll be fine. (So instead I stalked him and watched him from my car...I am only human!)

Anyway, I really needed to share. And read your stories, some of you have hs'ed for years. I talk to my hs'er/unschooler friends and feel such a tug at my heart when I hear the cool things they do. But my dh reminds me, things could be SO much worse!! My son loves school!! Really, its ok

Sande
#90 of 338 Old 09-07-2009, 12:01 AM

Hello, new faces! Yes, I think we all feel that school is where we need to be right now, for whatever reason. I agree that it is hard to process all the changes that are happening. It's a bit much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page