Support for former homeschoolers now public schooling - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 338 Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, last week went AMAZINGLY well. DS seems totally in the swing of things and its just been a super easy transition. Though I must say the school he's at, while still public, is a constructivist school with an alternative, hands-on approach and a very very involved parent community. So far no worksheets or anything like that. At this point I really feel great about it, much better that I thought I would. I think we were all ready for a change!

One big help was that two of his friends (not the closest friends but ones he's known since he was three) also transferred in to this school this year. They weren't homeschooling like we'd been but still, they are new there too and he sees them all the time. One is in his class.

Anyhow, we'll see how this week goes.
#122 of 338 Old 09-14-2009, 08:43 AM

all of a sudden my 6 yr old wants to watch the news to see how many people are dyin of swine flu :

Today is my 3 yr olds first day of her new 3 hour preK and we are excited. The 7 hour thingg wasn't working.
#123 of 338 Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Transformed---I'm not thrilled with the seven hour plan for little kids either. My 6 YO is exhausted and homesick a lot of the time. I think ultimately I will pull her out. I'm really glad your little one is doing a shorter day now. Much better!

My two older kids are swamped and behind in math. They are in 4th and 6th grade and both are at 3rd grade level in math. What can I say? We always unschooled. Anyway, the teachers seem completely freaked out by this and think it's even more weird that I would want to take an active role in getting them up to speed. Like they feel threatened that I am trying to take over their jobs or something. Our oldest simply CANNOT succeed at 6th grade math without even knowing her multiplication and division. The teacher thinks extra worksheets are the solution. Of course, that won't help!! And ditto for the fourth grader, ugh. I am really not not not sure we are doing the right thing having them in school. For many reasons. But mainly, I have yet to see ONE SINGLE useful, enriching or creative paper come home from school. It's all worksheets, fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, busywork JUNK. It's a total waste of their time and energy. A total waste. But hanging around and fighting with your siblings and having a tension-filled day was horrible too!! I simply could NOT get them to stop their frickin bickering. It was bad bad bad bad.

So I don't know which is worse. Both are rotten options. And I'm not wanting to be with the kids all day every day, or shuttle them around to park days and junk. Boring with a capital B. There are so few homeschoolers here---I always worried that the lack of support would be the undoing of our HSing career.

I'm all torn up about this whole thing. WHY is it so hard? DH just says, "Aw, just leave em in school. As long as they're pretty happy, who cares?" Well, they are still wasting their time and energy doing busywork seven hours a day and they are learning to hate learning. I DO care about that.
#124 of 338 Old 09-14-2009, 04:38 PM

I love reading this thread!

We're on week two of public school after 3.5 years of homeschooling dd and 2.5 for ds. So far they seem happy, esp. dd, who is 12, in 7th and a social butterfly. She has some learning issues though and I signed consent to have the school test her, so far they have been excellent about it. I meet with her team teachers tomorrow along with her counselor, to let them know she's in the middle of being evaluated and will probably have an IEP in a month. Word is out that she hs'ed and today she said her social studies teacher (who she loves!) said he'd help her out with whatever she needed.

Ds isn't as happy as dd, but he wasn't about hs'ing either. He complains a bit about the bedtime and the hours spent at school, but he seems happy going and when he gets home. So...I'd say it's going well so far.

My five things:

1. I love that our school district is small and well funded. The community support is top notch.

2. I love having a schedule!

3. I love that my kids are not as isolated as they were when at home. I always felt like we weren't doing enough because of lack of money, distance, not fitting in well with the HS'ers, etc. etc.

4. I love the peace and quiet. Bickering was getting so bad around here.

5. I am starting to feel more relaxed, my house is getting cleaner and more organized, and it's good for my mental and emotional health to have some time for myself. I was a relaxed hs'er, unschoolish....but the chaos always bothered me, the constant eating, staying up til 11pm or later, the endless video games (ds) little or no structure.

We're doing this now mostly because of the finances (i'll be looking for work soon, hope to get in as asst. teacher for para pros) and it's hard to let go of homeschooling in some ways. Esp. for my oldest. She's very behind due to her being dyslexic and I really felt that being at home on her own timetable was best for her. So, now I just have to make the best of the resources available to her for FREE from the school. It's going to be OK, I'm pretty sure anyway

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#125 of 338 Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM

Help me decide...

Whats better - going to school and not being allowed to talk for 7 hours (well, except for the 15 min recess - for kindergarten. :

or

being home schooled and sheltered at home fighting with sister/getting yelled at by mom.

I am soooooo good at being positive today!
#126 of 338 Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 PM

Well, we've gone back to homeschooling.

We're all happy with the decision.
#127 of 338 Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
Well, we've gone back to homeschooling.

We're all happy with the decision.

I totally do not blame you.
#128 of 338 Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 PM

freestyler, how do you know they're just doing busywork all day? I worry about this too, but I found that it isn't really true. My 7th grader was outside for science today writing down observations and being aware of the environment. That's stuff we did homeschooling.

I'm meeting with her teacher tomorrow, along with the counselor. I'll find out more what it's like. So far, she told me her social studies teacher is really cool and even told the class if it were up to him, he'd do away with grades, that he hates grading!

I think you should give it more time. I had a similar situation at home too and it's miserable at times.

Hugs.

#129 of 338 Old 09-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Thanks Sneezykids. I am going to give it more time. Definitely. Hearing them fight all day was NOT FUN and I don't want to do that anymore. I really want to try to make school work. I like my son's teacher. (Even if he did mention Ritalin to me once. )
#130 of 338 Old 09-15-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler View Post
Thanks Sneezykids. I am going to give it more time. Definitely. Hearing them fight all day was NOT FUN and I don't want to do that anymore. I really want to try to make school work. I like my son's teacher. [B](Even if he did mention Ritalin to me once. )
#131 of 338 Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Day 4 and Alex had a bathroom accident, i had to get Ryker early and then run to the school and pick her up. I had the nurse try and scold me because I said i was taking her home. It was just easier for me to take her home. Sorry but i don't carry spare clothes and shoes for my 6yr old who usually only has a accident when she's sick. She made a comment about how important it is for her to be at school

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#132 of 338 Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 PM

educational neglect :
#133 of 338 Old 09-15-2009, 03:54 PM

I am leaving lurkdom to say I wish I had this thread when 10 yo dd started school in February. She loves every moment and every detail excelling at everything. It has been tortuous for me (except for the part where I get to take credit for her being awesome ). Our reasons were/are many and varied.

I hope I am not intruding here at this late date.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#134 of 338 Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 PM

<It has been tortuous for me (except for the part where I get to take credit for her being awesome ). >

You should be proud that she is doing so well! I, OTOH, have a 12 year old who is behind and needs special ed now. Thankfully, when she gets the IEP, sp/ed is all integrated into the classrooms now at least, for her it is looking that way. Still, I met with most of her teachers today. Imagine me walking into a room of teacher eyes on me waiting to hear what I had to say. THe counselor set it up so they could hear from me that this is a girl who had tons of early intervention in ps before, homeschooled in a rich learning environment but is still 'behind' by no fault of HS'ing. I am so grateful for the counselors support and later in his office, he took a half hour to talk more with me about dd and said I did great in the meeting. Whew!

I also love my ds's teacher. She is really sweet!

I have to admit, I feel alot of weight off my shoulders. It's hard enough being a mom most days, let alone everything else when you're homeschooling. It's nice that my kids are getting the support they need and deserve! And, mostly, I am forever grateful for the years I was able to homeschool them

Freestyler - Hang in there. My ds has been having alot of anger and meltdowns after school. Tired I'm sure. It's a big change for everyone.

#135 of 338 Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So DD1 and DD2 have been in school since last Wednesday, well, really since Thursday since Wednesday was only a half day. Last year I had them both home, and before that DD1 was in private school (dual curriculum and more time at school) and DD2 has been homeschooled since 5th grade.

I feel like I'm still homeschooling them! : DD1 is home at 2:00 PM every day- she's still HOME more than half the day! And DD2 is spending almost all the time after school doing homework. I have to rush to do all of DS' schoolwork during the time the girls are in school, because once DD2 is home I have to spend hours helping her with homework.

Part of it is because she's never been in school before and she needs help navigating some of the work. Specifically she's "behind" on writing- it's something she struggled with before I pulled her out of school, and I never pushed it when she was home with me. So now, she's in 8th grade and hasn't written an essay in over 3 years. I had to help her organize her thougths for an essay for English last year (the subject was a short story read out loud in class that wasn't available for me to read), plus she's got this week-long Social Studies writing assignment she's been working on each day. And she gets daily math homework- so I'm still "teaching" math because I'm there to answer any questions that come up during math homework.

I spent LESS time on academics last year when I was facilitating all subjects than I do now, helping with homework!

As for the whole concept of grades- ITA that they're rediculous for little kids. But I've got one in high school, and one in 8th grade and taking two high school level courses (Alegebra and Earth Science), and I really feel that grades are appropriate at this stage.

I feel kinda like I don't belong on this thread since I still have DS home with me- but honestly, I don't see how I'd ever have time for him if all three were in school. DD2 has been needing me available for 3+ hours of homework a night!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#136 of 338 Old 09-16-2009, 12:35 PM

nak

hi mamas,

i am struggling right now with the decision of where and how to school my kids, particularly my oldest, Noah. we started out last year hs'ing for 1st grade. it was going really well, but then just before Thanksgiving we got a call that they had a spot for him at a charter school we had applied for the spring before. i said "no, thank you" and hung up. but then i called dh and told him and we decided to call back and give it a try. the main reason we did was b/c it was kind of a "now or never" type of decision. the school is partial greek immersion and you cannot start after 2nd grade. anyway, long story short, we tried it and it went pretty well.

there are a lot of really good things about the school, but noah would really rather be home. he has a lot of anxiety that we are working on it, but he is still very anxious about school. he does very well there but i know it is a struggle for him. i am fairly sure that i want him to be home too, even though i do wonder how tough it would be with our new baby, 2yo, and almost 5yo along with noah.

dh does NOT want me to pull him out though, for a variety of reasons, so here we are. this is week 3, i think of 2nd grade in the charter school.

there are definite plus's to the whole situation, but definite minus's too. i'm not sure which will prevail in the end.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#137 of 338 Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 PM

Welcome, Mommajb, Chrissy and Ruthla!! Am I forgetting anyone? It's awesome to see you all! How are ya doing?

Oh, SoCaliMommy, I'm sorry you had to deal with a potty accident. That's no fun for a little child. For spare clothes, I keep a huge set tucked into the car trunk, and I keep the clothes clean and updated and ready for each kid just in case. I have shorts and t-shirts and underwear, and even some long-sleeved t-shirts. This stash gets used every single week, for one reason or another. Like one of the kids getting food all over a shirt, or having a little pee leak, or whatever. This clothing stash is SO AWESOME. There's even a shirt in there for DH and for me. In case someone barfs on us or something. It's a pretty big stash, as we have five kids.
#138 of 338 Old 09-16-2009, 01:04 PM

I registered dd1 in K only a few days before school started last week. It was in the news that our local elementary failed they AYP 2 years in a row, and since they are also a title 1 school, they are required to offer students a transfer to another "better" school and provide transportation. We had been on a waiting list for a hs program that offeres classes 2 days a week, and by the end of august, we were still on the list.... so we thought trying out ps at a "better" school for 1/2 day K would be OK. She enjoyed her first day. Was sick for day 2 and yesterday was day 3, again seemed to have fun. its nice to have one on one time w/ dd2. I have a huge weight lifted off my sholders as far as the social aspects go. Like many of you, we just weren't clicking with the local hsers. Not that we met them all though.... I'm just taking this one year at a time for now. When its time for 1st grade, I know I will be uncomfortable w/ dd1 in FT school.
#139 of 338 Old 09-16-2009, 01:35 PM

Ruthla, so much of what you said rings true for me. Only my 2nd child of 5 is in school right now. I would willingly send more but dh is not behind me. He says he is but actions speak louder than words. Things like he scheduled ds1's piano lesson for 11:00 AM on Mondays right after we discussed putting him in school and he left it up to me. : If I mention a benefit to school for ds or me he points out a shortcoming/dilemma/scheduling snafu or something negative.

Dd1 does not struggle with the work but with time management. She is very, very slow at everything. She also believes that if she ignores a problem it will go away. I have to get my day's work done before she gets home so that I can cajole her through it all. She runs out of time and then I end up doing things for her, mostly chores, and rushing her about. This isn't really okay with me lifestyle-wise and because I think she should be learning how to do things around the house. I need the help and she needs the skills but we don't need the stress.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#140 of 338 Old 09-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
nak

hi mamas,

i am struggling right now with the decision of where and how to school my kids, particularly my oldest, Noah. we started out last year hs'ing for 1st grade. it was going really well, but then just before Thanksgiving we got a call that they had a spot for him at a charter school we had applied for the spring before. i said "no, thank you" and hung up. but then i called dh and told him and we decided to call back and give it a try. the main reason we did was b/c it was kind of a "now or never" type of decision. the school is partial greek immersion and you cannot start after 2nd grade. anyway, long story short, we tried it and it went pretty well.

there are a lot of really good things about the school, but noah would really rather be home. he has a lot of anxiety that we are working on it, but he is still very anxious about school. he does very well there but i know it is a struggle for him. i am fairly sure that i want him to be home too, even though i do wonder how tough it would be with our new baby, 2yo, and almost 5yo along with noah.
So he's in 2nd grade, in a Greek immersion class, with kids who have been doing the Greek immersion for a year or two already? It makes sense that he's struggling a little bit- he's "behind" on Greek compared to many of his classmates. I'm sure the school is aware of this, and has some kind of plan in place to help the "newbies" handle the transition, but it's still going to be stressful for him for at least a month or two, until he gets a better grasp of Greek. Or am I misreading you- did he start the school in the middle of last year? If so, I'd think he'd be pretty much caught up at this point, and any lingering issues are due to the actual workload and classroom organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Dd1 does not struggle with the work but with time management. She is very, very slow at everything. She also believes that if she ignores a problem it will go away. I have to get my day's work done before she gets home so that I can cajole her through it all. She runs out of time and then I end up doing things for her, mostly chores, and rushing her about. This isn't really okay with me lifestyle-wise and because I think she should be learning how to do things around the house. I need the help and she needs the skills but we don't need the stress.
I've temporarily suspended most chores until we're into the school rhythm. Their jobs after school are to do their homework and get themselves ready for the next school day. I'm not insisting on them washing dishes, preparing food, putting away laundry, etc. They're still responsible for putting away their own clothing, but I let that pile up until the weekend if necessary, or they can live out of laundry baskets, etc. It's their choice. DD2 also puts out trash and recycling, as those arent' very time-consuming and don't interfere with homework.

I give gentle reminders on homework and packing lunch, but no "cajoling." My attitude is that, if they miss a homework assignment, they can deal with the consequences in school the next day. It's their responsibility, not mine. I help with homework when asked, even when it means basically teaching her how to do it, but I only help when she specifically asks for it and has, all on her own, started the homework.

I would pack lunches for them if it was absolutely necessary, but so far it hasn't been, and both girls like having control over their meals (I might end up spreading the cream cheese too thick or too thin for their liking, for example.)

I'm confident that both of my girls already have the basic home making skills they need, and it's OK if they get less practice with that while adjusting to school. And when the Jewish holidays are over, they'll have Sundays to do chores around the house.

#141 of 338 Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM

I'm back to this thread, I posted earlier when it started.

We pulled ds1 out of kinder halfway through last yr bc he hated school (but loved prek btw) and then he wanted to go back to school for 1st grade. Prob bc he was bored at home w/no kids his own age to play w/ and only little bro to fight w/. He is a very social kid.

Anyway, he has been doing really well so far (we are about 4 wks in) and seems to really like school. He gets frustrated sometimes but overall he is liking it.

Got his first progress report yesterday and his teacher says he is behind in reading and math. I feel bad about this bc I felt like we didn't spend much time on those things, but I was instead trying to find fun learning things to do so that he wouldn't hate learning. I was trying to undo the neg feelings he had from 6 mo of public school. I also wasn't planning on sending him back to ps this yr so didn't feel like we had to be at a certain pt by now. He begged to go back 2 days before school started so I was caught off guard.

I feel bad, but am trying to come up w/a plan to help him catch up in those areas.

I really understand what you are all feeling when you talk about conflicting emotions and going back and forth in your minds. I am having a hard time but I really think it's better. I am just not very good at hs (partly bc I was working from home until July but am not anymore) and I too was tired of all the bickering and cabin fever.

Good to get some support here.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#142 of 338 Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
So he's in 2nd grade, in a Greek immersion class, with kids who have been doing the Greek immersion for a year or two already? It makes sense that he's struggling a little bit- he's "behind" on Greek compared to many of his classmates. I'm sure the school is aware of this, and has some kind of plan in place to help the "newbies" handle the transition, but it's still going to be stressful for him for at least a month or two, until he gets a better grasp of Greek. Or am I misreading you- did he start the school in the middle of last year? If so, I'd think he'd be pretty much caught up at this point, and any lingering issues are due to the actual workload and classroom organization.
sorry if my post was confusing! he started last year (1st grade) just after Thanksgiving. he was a bit behind, understandably, but had tutoring one morning/week last year. i think his issues now have nothing to do with the greek, or any other subjects, but more to do with his anxiety issues and his general preference for being home.

but then, today he said he had a great day and that he wasn't scared at all. who knows what tomorrow will bring.

#143 of 338 Old 09-17-2009, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

freestyler~ I think i will start storing spare clothes for her in the van just in case.

Negative about school~ Today because my daughter's school gets out at 1:30 on Wed, my 3yr old didn't get in a very good nap because he feel asleep not long before we had to leave to go pick her up.:

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#144 of 338 Old 09-17-2009, 11:49 AM

That is one of the things that I really hate about school. Even worse though, for me, than the breaking up of our day and screwing with the littler ones naps, is how much of our day is spent in the car. My almost 5yo is going to preschool 4 mornings/week, so we have another drop off and pick up too. Our day goes like this:
8:00- leave house, drop Noah off at school (usually Laney cries/screams in car).
8:25- arrive at preschool where we have to figure out something to do for 30 minutes before it starts.
9:00- leave preschool, drive home (again, Laney screams in car).
9:15- arrive home.
11:40- leave home to go pick up from preschool (yet again, Laney screams in car).
12:00- arrive at preschool and pick up, drive home ("")
12:15- arrive home.
3:00- leave home to pick Noah up from school ("")
3:10- arrive at Noah's school, wait in carpool line (hold Laney and try not to pull out all my hair and/or yell at Rowan and Lilah for climbing all over the car, fighting, pushing buttons while parked in carpool line in school parking lot.
4:00- arrive home, thankful to not have to get back into the car... until the morning.

#145 of 338 Old 09-17-2009, 02:46 PM

I'm so thankful that I never had to deal with school transportation interfering with naps! When DD1 was in preschool, she had morning session and DD2 didn't nap until the afternoon. They they were both in preschool/daycare and on the same school schedule- some years they were in daycare, others a shorter-day preschool, but they were both on the same exact schedule for a few years. Then I had one year when DD1 was in kindergarten and DD2 in preschool, but DD1 had a bus so I only had to drive DD2. And DS wasn't born until DD2 was in kindergarten, and the school bus stopped in front of the house at that time, so I didn't need to go outside to meet the bus if he was sleeping.

Since DS started kindergarten, I haven't had to drive anybody to school unless they missed the bus.

So Noah seems happy at the school? It sounds like having him there is a fairly large strain on the whole family since there's no bus transportation available Really, your whole day would go a lot smoother if you only had to drive to preschool instead of to both schools. Is the benefit to Noah worth it?

#146 of 338 Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 PM

Julian (6.5) is liking school better now, but he said he and 2 other kids, who are also new, have been taken out of the class 3 times now. I have no idea what that's about, or what it means, but I don't know how to ask his teacher without seeming like a pest. Conferences are coming up soon, so I might just wait, but don't like not knowing. At drop-off and pick-up parents are discouraged from entering the school, so I hardly ever see her, and she doesn't send notes home or anything. I feel like she is very busy and is not interested in communicating with parents.
#147 of 338 Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
So Noah seems happy at the school? It sounds like having him there is a fairly large strain on the whole family since there's no bus transportation available Really, your whole day would go a lot smoother if you only had to drive to preschool instead of to both schools. Is the benefit to Noah worth it?
If we pull Noah out of school, I'll pull the others out of preschool too. Is Noah happy? I think he's as happy as he could be at a school, at least any school that I know of. He'd prefer to be home, but we decided this was the best choice for all of us. Now, I'm starting to really rethink that whole thing.

Anywho...

hottmama, it's weird to have so little communication with someone who spends so much time with your child, huh?

#148 of 338 Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 PM

We had our first P/T conference today. Both of dd's teachers said she was doing extremely well, one of their top students, and fitting into the classroom just fine. I thought she would be academically fine, but it is a relief to hear she is blending in well also.

So, after a little excitement her first week with people asking - 'how old are you?!?' She seems to be accepted well now. She has a regular group of 8th grade boys she sits with at lunch, and several older girls from her classes that say hello and seem pleased to see her. She has not made any close friends at school, and still considers her homeschool group the place for friends. But, she is comfortable and happy with a fairly radical acceleration and I'm pretty happy that she isn't looking to fit in socially with her classmates just yet.

We've got to rethink her book bag and notebook arrangement. She's having trouble with quickly packing up to switch classes, so this weekend we will be brainstorming ways to streamline that effort.

Overall things are great with her. I'm a little stressed with the driving schedule of school and homeschool co-ops, field trips, etc. Fitting in my part-time job is difficult as well but that's a whole other topic!
#149 of 338 Old 09-19-2009, 12:09 AM

I am happy to find this thread.

My kids are 11 and almost 8 and we have been HSing for 7 years now. I am not exactly tired of HSing, but I'm ready to move on with *my* life.

I'm an RN and right now I work nights, which is fine and I like nights, but I don't want to do it forever. My DH is going to be an elementary school teacher and I would like to be a school RN. So I want my kids in school so we can all enjoy similar schedules, and I won't have to work nights forever

My kids are ok with going to public school. They really love HSing, but it is also getting to be VERY isolating. There are no secular HS groups here, or the few people who do meet for park days, etc I am sleeping because I work full time ya know?

So next year they are both going to public school and really, I am ready for it (well as ready as I can be).

It also gives us a whole school year to get ready, my oldest needs time to work on her math skills and maybe some grammar, thats about it. They both NEED friends. Our friends have all moved away and there is just no one at ALL in our neighborhood, NO friends at all. It doesn't seem to both my kids much (but it is starting to with my 11 year old, Ive asked her about it and she says she is fine, but sometimes wishes she had a friend). We get together with cousins etc pretty often, but it's not the same as having a close group of friends, or even just one really great friend.

So, anyways, I'm happy to have found this group! We will be in public school next year, but I'll be following along and listening to your experiences.

Anything you wish you would have done differently to prepare them for school?

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#150 of 338 Old 09-19-2009, 02:40 PM

Marilynmamma---Welcome! I hope you will enjoy getting some time to yourself next year and some much-deserved rest, after your long and good stretch of HSing. It's awesome you did it as long as you did. And to answer your question: I wish I had better prepared mine for PS by doing a couple of things:

1) Getting them UP TO SPEED on math, no matter what it took. Computer-based program, hiring a tutor, whatever. My older ones are realy struggling because of being behind in math. And it sucks.

2) Getting them up to speed in handwriting and composition. My 9 YO boy cannot write his way out of a paper bag, even though he is a voracious and enthusiastic reader. It stresses him out not to be able to do any of the quick-writes or other written things at school. It also would increase his confidence in class to be able to write as well as his peers.

Just my two cents. Otherwise, no suggestions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page