Support for former homeschoolers now public schooling - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are joining the group! My boys start at the local ps on Monday. We have homeschooled for the last 3 yrs. and always said that when it wasn't working for everyone that we would make a change. It stopped working for my boys so we have enrolled them. I am excited for both of them as I think they will love it and do well but at the same time I am sad. In a way for me it is the loss of a dream. I always thought we would be one of those families where the kids all homeschooled and were thoughtful, intelligent, confident and community involved. We would explore together and learn together. It is not that with the kids in ps that we can't do this it is just that now I have to re-frame what it will look like. Sigh...

Anyway, thank you for this thread. Prior to reading it I was feeling a bit like a failure on the hs front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 01:52 AM

Welcome welcome welcome Runnerbrit!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 PM

First grade is going well for Julian, now. He's in reading intervention with several of his classmates who are behind in reading and he's catching up very quickly, has been reading stuff all over the place and actually reading books for fun! Math, science, and social studies are easy for him and his spelling and writing seem to be fine. He's made a lot of friends and has started walking to and from school by himself, which he's proud of. He's playing afterschool flag football. We have almost no conflict now that we aren't homeschooling. We have all been sick, but we've restarted our winter echinacea/acidophilus/multivitamin regimen so hopefully we're past that.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:22 AM

So, mid-quarter academic warnings were supposed to go out last week, and ds12 didn't get one for English, so I thought we were in the clear... guess what I got on Friday? Ds12 is failing English. The "good" news is that it's only by 2 points, mostly it was due to his not turning in homework, and the teacher is giving the class a bit of amnesty. Apparently, lots of students had missing homework. It's against her official policy to take late work, but she gave them the weekend to make it up.

Guess what ds spent this weekend doing? I think he'll think twice before blowing off his homework again, given how much time he spent on it this weekend, and how much I yelled.

I wouldn't have been mad if he'd failed "honestly," but slacking on assignments and letting me think he'd turned them in is just NOT on. I asked ds WTF, and he was fairly incoherent. What I gather is that he didn't understand the assignments, felt anxious, and instead of asking for help, decided to play "If I close my eyes, you can't see me!"

We have to all conference with the teacher, the principal, and the guidance counselor. Bleh. It's especially embarassing, because not only do I work at his school, but everyone knows I'm a former English teacher!

On a more pleasant note, ds5 started Saturday morning by saying, "Thank you for taking me to school, Mommy-- I love it!" Woo hoo for untraumatized 5 year olds!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome Runnerbrit!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 PM

Thank you!

Day 2 and so far all is well. They have 1/2 day all week so the boys are able to gradually get used to the longer school day. The both think the idea of "speed tests" is pretty funny. My 5th grader said "Mom what is the point of doing them fast if you get them all wrong?" Apparently he only finished 1/2 of the problems in the allotted time but got them all right; the rest of the class finished all of the problems, but got most of them wrong. My 3rd grader was happy that his seat mate got a retainer yesterday so that today the little boy could not talk so ds got to do his work "in peace".

Homework - still a novelty - I wonder how long that will last?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 AM

Did public schools just begin this week, or did your kids start after the school year began?

If it did just start, do you mind sharing what general part of the world you live in? I thought that Long Islanders were among the latest to start schools, and we've been at it a month already!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 10-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Ruthla - We started the year homeschooling so they are jumping in late.

Anyone here know anything about the GATE program?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:11 PM

GATE programs vary greatly from place to place. When done well it can be a great place for kids to stretch their imaginations and creativity. When done poorly it can be seen as extra work you have to do because someone decided you were a bright kid. It can be of social benefit and help in finding kids with similar interests.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:18 PM

My dd's school had the PSAT this morning. They encouraged 8th graders to take it for practice. They did a practice PSAT a few weeks ago and it freaked out a bunch of the 8th graders. So, yesterday they said they had come up with an alternate plan for the 8th graders while the rest of the school, except seniors, took the test. If an 8th grader wanted to take the test they could. Well my dd's classes would not be held because they were during the PSAT, so I offered her the chance to stay home. She didn't want to stay home, she wanted to go take the test. So, off to school she went. Of all the 8th graders, there were 3 who chose to take the test. They were all homeschoolers until this year! LOL
Old 10-15-2009, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just got a phone call from one of Alexs teachers about setting up a parent teacher meeting for next week to talk about Alexandria. eeek

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post

I just got a phone call from one of Alexs teachers about setting up a parent teacher meeting for next week to talk about Alexandria. eeek

Any news on the meeting or what it is about?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM

I'm sure it's because she's not able to get the classwork done and has been bringing that home on top of her normal homework. The other day she had 9pages of work that was classwork that came home as homework on top of having to do her normal homework for the day.

She has pretty much failed every test they have had so far, even with us working with her more and trying to help her. This one from last week, she got a 1- Not Proficient

Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM

:

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Hopefully this meeting will be to set up something to help her- maybe testing that will lead to an IEP, maybe moving her down a grade- but if she's "failing" first grade then it's really that the school isn't meeting her needs- and you need to find ways to get her needs met. Sending her home with extra writing homework is NOT the way to meet her needs!

DD2 is still doing well in school, although we're dealing with a new challenge right now. She's a little bit sick- sick enough that I'd keep a little kid home, but not really sick enough to stay home in high school (while she's in middle school, she is taking 2 high school level classes, and needs to make up missed work in ALL classes.) She didn't relish the thought of having to stay after school to make up a test later this week, especially since there's no guarantee that she'll be feeling any better by then. So she went, even though it would have been better for her body to stay home and take things easy.

It was kind of funny yesterday morning though. She had trouble getting up (since she was starting to get sick but I didn't know it) and then whined "Who said I had to go to school every day?" I responded "You did." She then looked at me kind of sheepishly when she realized I was right. (Of course, she still continued to complain a bit about the way schools were set up.)

Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:

I'm sure it's because she's not able to get the classwork done and has been bringing that home on top of her normal homework. The other day she had 9pages of work that was classwork that came home as homework on top of having to do her normal homework for the day.

She has pretty much failed every test they have had so far, even with us working with her more and trying to help her. This one from last week, she got a 1- Not Proficient

I would ask the school to evaluate her. If she is not passing in anything this far into the school year, something is not right. If I were you, I would send in a letter saying you want her evaluated and state the reason being that she is failing all of her tests, is not having enough time to write her words out during spelling tests, having tons of classwork come home, and just not getting it. I am actually surprised that the school has not suggested that she be evaluated, as this is not a normal situation.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 AM

Chrissy~ Thanks for the hugs

Ruthla~ Thanks for the hugs. I agree it's for sure not working for her. Dh was shocked at the sending home of 9 pages that she wasn't able to complete being sent home as homework

mommy2maya~ I plan on telling Dh to bring that up at the meeting, he suggest that he go to the meeting instead of me.

I found a great looking Private Montessori School but don't think i even want to know how much that would cost lol. I loved how they show the way they do math and stuff on their website. IvyCrest Private Montessori

Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM

You should both go to the meeting if possible - as it provides a united front.

A child should not be able to bring home 9 pages of unfinnished sheets as homework as a 1st grader should not have 9 pages of sheets during the day!

It sounds like either the teacher or school is not a great fit for your child.

Evaluate her? The idea squiggs me out a little....

If you think there is something wrong i.e a learning disability - then go for it! Have an evaluation done. If you do not think there is anything wrong with her I would skip it. I would change schools (and I sincerely hope there is lots of school choice where you are )

I think some school are very quick to give a child an IEP (my children's old school had something like a 30% IEP rate). Sometimes it is political and about funding, sometimes it is because parents and educators have figured out it is the easiest way to differentiate the curriculum, etc. However it has costs - there is a stigma attached to IEPs to some degree, at least where I live and no matter how much educators say there isn't. YMMV.

Good luck!

Kathy
Old 10-22-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
A child should not be able to bring home 9 pages of unfinnished sheets as homework as a 1st grader should not have 9 pages of sheets during the day!

Kathy

Perhaps sitting down filling out worksheets is not her learning style. I can't think of many 6 year olds who would find it a favorable learning style!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 AM

kathymuggle~ We have no one to watch both kids so we can go together. Dh wanted to be involved more so he said he'd go to the meeting.
I do think there is something off, she according to the audiologist doesn't have problems with her hearing yet i constantly have to repeat what i asked her a few times before she responds. I know she has a pretty short attention span.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:

kathymuggle~ We have no one to watch both kids so we can go together. Dh wanted to be involved more so he said he'd go to the meeting.
I do think there is something off, she according to the audiologist doesn't have problems with her hearing yet i constantly have to repeat what i asked her a few times before she responds. I know she has a pretty short attention span.

I would bring both kids with you. I have always had to bring my little ones to the school and it has never been a problem.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Have you had her eyes checked by a developmental optometrist? This can be a hidden, but very important, issue which can have all kinds of seemingly unrelated effects.

Also maybe look at auditory processing disorder, where the individual hears fine but can't process the information in a typical matter.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 PM

In the short term, I wouldn't make her do any of the worksheets sent home as "unfinished classwork." I'd encourage her to do the actual homework (being flexible if it takes her too long to finish) and then ignore the rest of the stuff the teacher sends home. Maybe read the worksheets with her and orally review the material, but I wouldn't make her do any more writing.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:10 PM

joensally~ Her eyes were checked last year after she failed the eye exam at schoool, her eyes were fine.

mommy2maya~ We did it once last year taking both kids and it was hard to listen to what the teacher had to say.

Ruthla~ I will start doing that if she happens to bring home any more " classwork as homework.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

joensally~ Her eyes were checked last year after she failed the eye exam at schoool, her eyes were fine.

DS had his eyes checked by a regular optometrist at almost 4 and checked out fine. Went to developmental optometrist (more thorough exam) at just 5 and was diagnosed with convergence insufficiency (or strabismus). The effects of this (eyes don't work together for close work, so reading is hard) include inattention and fatigue for things like worksheets, and the "symptom" list for CI and ADHD are very similar - if your eyes are tired, you appear inattentive and unable to complete work.

Of course this may not be what's happening for your DD, but it's what was up for us.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:14 AM

Dh said the teacher is going to have Alex put in speech class, (i brought this up last year in K i was concerned about her speech and the schools speech teacher told her teacher at the time she didn't need speech class)
He also brought up the worksheets as exrta homework and she said she'd talk with the other teacher about not doing that anymore.
She said that Alex does great at listening when it's time to sit on the floor with the class but sometimes looks like she's off in her own little world. She also said she did great with her worksheets during class today.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:36 AM

Hey mammas, so listen to this.....Our oldest DD (almost 12 and in 6th grade) is going to a science camp next week up in the mountains. The school has their undies in a bunch about swine flu etc, so they are planning the following: Before the trip, the teacher and aides are wanting to take every kid's temperature, and NOT let kids go if they are running a temp. HUH?? What parent on earth would send their kid to camp if the kid had a temp anyway, but more importantly.....what business does the SCHOOL have checking my kid's temperature, for a routine thing not illness related?? What the $$&&^@^ next, urine check? Am I crazy, or is this a big fat invasion of privacy? What would you do? My daughter is flipping out big time and saying I just have to let them check it next week, and I am like NO WAY are they going to give you medical checkups without my OK. Because that is what it amounts to....a medical checkup. The school claims they want to do it as a precaution, because last year a kid got the flu and infected a whole bunch of other kids, but I say that's a load of crap. The same kid could just as easily have infected them in the classroom. I am NOT OK with any of this. What would you do? I paid $350 for this stupid camp and they want to take my kid's temp?? Even WE don't take her temp at home. In twelve years of parenting five kids, I have never once taken a temp. It just is not relevant info. But that's beside the point. I'm livid.

All those years of homeschooling camp, and no one EVER mentioned taking a temp, or getting forms so my daughter could carry her Epi-Pens unhindered, or any other stupid dumb thing. Should I stand my ground and not let her go if they are really going to insist on the temp thing? It's outrageous. She'd never forgive me if I didn't let her go, but there is a more important lesson to be learned, and that is that she needs to know that people cannot violate her personal body space for any reason whatsoever! If she goes to the nurse's office sick, that's one thing, and even then I would not want her temp taken. Just call me and I'll pick her up, whatever. But don't you think that she should know that people may not just do stuff to her because they say so?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM

JMO - I would let her do the temperature thing. It is not invasive, nor is it a regular event.

She is 12, yk? Not 6. She is capable of deciding whether or not having her temp taken is reasonable - and deciding whether it violates her beliefs.

So - if she wants to go and has no issues with temp taking - I would let her go.

If she wants to go, but does not like the idea of temp taking, I would help her argue her case with the school.

If the school will not budge you probably can and should get your money back. You paid before the "temp taking" thing was on the table -had you known the temperature thing was going to exist you would not have agreed or paid for her to go. They changed the parameters, so they can refund money to anyone who has issues with the new directives.

FWIW -people do send kids places when they are sick. Sometime people misjudge how sick tkids are, sometimes the kids hide it because they really want to go, and sometimes it is a childcare issue. I myself have been guilty of misjudging how sick my kids are on more than one occasion.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:38 PM

Had my first parent-teacher conference last night. The teacher had so many nice things to say about my boy! I've always known that he is a sweet and caring kid but hearing that he is so well-behaved and kind for the 35 hours a week he's out of my sight is heart warming. The academic side is going okay-- he's been in reading intervention and is progressing quickly-- it seems like he will catch up with the benchmarks and be done with the intervention class within a couple months. Also, he's been missing math every day for the reading intervention, but still aced the math test for units 1 and 2. I shared my concerns about the math being too easy for him, but since he's missing math anyway, I guess it's not a big deal. He finished 1st grade math at home last year and it's more important to focus on the reading and writing this year, IMO.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:04 PM

At age 12, I'd let the child have input. Taking her temperature isn't invasive, nor is there any risk of side effects. It's uncomfortable, a waste of time, and carries a risk of false negatives and false positives (kids can be sick with no fever, or have a higher than "average" temp and still not be sick.) But it's not something inherintly dangerous.

If she doesn't object to having her temperature taken along with all the other kids in her class, I'd let this one go. If she does object, then definitely back her up on it- but I don't think this is worth fighting if she doesn't care. Now, if they wanted to do an exam that requred her to undress, or give vaccines at school, I'd be absolutely livid- but this is just sticking a stick in her mouth for a minute.

Kami- it sounds like the parent-teacher conference went well. Hopefully the school follow up on what they said they would.

hotmama- I'm glad to hear the good news!

I got my daughters' "progress reports" in the mail yesterday- it's about halfway through the first quarter and they send out a very basic update- number of abscences and lates, 1-3 (for 'satisfactory" through "unsatisfactory") and a one-sentence report on the child. Basically, I think it's a way to let parents know if a child is in danger of failing a class, but by sending it out to everybody, they ensure that the parents of those kids who need it will know to look for this report in the mail. Both girls got all "1"s (highest possible score) and comments were along the lines of "pleasure to have in class" and "does good work" or "does excellent work".

User Tag List