Support for former homeschoolers now public schooling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since there seem to be quite a few of us this year.... Sorry the thread title is so long, I couldn't think of any shorter summary that would make sense. "Ex-hs now ps support" seems a bit cryptic!

-----

My older three kids are all heading to public school after two years at home. My older two went to ps before, but my 6yo hasn't. I'm more worried about her and how she'll fit in. My 3yo will also be at loose ends without his siblings to play with all day.

But the kids and I are both very excited about the change. I liked our homeschool and the academics were good, but we are bored and the kids miss their friends. I'm a homebody and dislike driving around for activies or playdates. I need a break and while giving up on homeschool is painful--especially since we are religious homeschoolers (Catholic), it's almost an identity crisis--I am growing more certain that it is the right decision.

Our district doesn't begin school til Sept 8. We register in 11 days. We've bought supplies off the school lists. Everyone who needed a backpack or lunch kit has one. I finally got all the kids' immunization records straightened out, so we are ready to go, paperwork wise.

If you already started school, how has the transition from hs to ps been so far? If you are still waiting for school to start or in the middle of making the decision to school or homeschool, what issues are foremost in your mind? Are your kids excited, indifferent, worried?

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
My younger DD started school for the first time last year, at age 10. My older DD, who is 12, will be joining her this fall.

School doesn't start here until the 26th, and we seriously still in summer mode. Last week was canoe day camp and next week we are going out of town to visit grandma!

We have a couple of school things left to take care of (one kid needs a health form signed the other still needs gym shorts) but we are mostly ready.

My kids are excited about school, but nervous. They'll both be starting middle school, so even the one who left last year has a transition.

I'm really looking forward to it. I've been a mom for almost 13 years, and this is the first time I'll have this much time to myself!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 08-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Hello! as you know from my other post my children are going back to school too! i feel great about it now! a little nervous about my 11 yr old headed to middle school!( i always said i wouldn't let them go to middle! i put my foot in my mouth!) i have actually decided to keep my 6 year old home till he is reading better, and he is rough and tough and i think he would be "in trouble" at school all the time... so i will have half my crew gone.. though i am tempted to just put him in school too and just be me and my 2 year old all day... so i might change my mind!

we are kinda out of the summer loop right now we had to stop going to the beach and swimming because my 2 yr old broke her leg 2 weeks ago. i do want to go do some fun things with them before school starts, they start the 19th!!! i am going on monday to register them, i found out my 8 yr old won't need any supply's but a back pack this year ( title one school and they are supplying everything this year!) i just need to get the list for 6th grade and we will be set!

i will miss our spur of the moment trips to the zoo and being able to go to the movies on a tuesday morning when its empty! but i will enjoy not being frustrated at kids all day, or having to hush them while little one naps!

thanks for starting this thread i know i will need you in the weeks to come!

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
Old 08-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateSerj View Post
a little nervous about my 11 yr old headed to middle school!( i always said i wouldn't let them go to middle!
I can relate! It's a lot different being home all day with children than being home all day with adolescents. I think this is a natural age for kids to separate from their parents. I don't regret having them home when they were little. They got to learn to read when they were ready and spend lots of time just running around, but they are sooo ready for something very different now.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My older two are both headed to public school, in spite of my prior plans to either have my kids in Jewish schools or homeschooled.

DD2 surprised me and wanted to go to public school this year. She's all signed up. DD1 wanted to go to a specific Jewish school, but we couldn't get a scholarship (though there's still hope for next year) so I'll be signing her up next week. I didn't sign her up when I signed up DD2 because we hadn't heard back from the private school yet.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 PM

We just attended mandatory new student indoctrination, I mean orientation, today.
My daughter starts school this Wednesday! She is getting nervous now. We have homeschooled since kindergarten. We will still be part-time homeschooling which seemed like a good idea, but now seems like a bit of a logistical nightmare. She is also grade accelerated which adds another level of anxiety for me.

She has her uniform, her tote bag, her school supplies, and her lunch bag ready to go. We need to plan some lunches for her to make, and take her to get a hair cut tomorrow. She has a friend (also his first day of school ever) in her first class, so they will both have a familiar face to start the day. She has 2 other friends at the school as well, but won't see them except for maybe at lunch.

I'm not sure why, but I'm feeling rather anxious today. She handles herself well, but it will still be a big step for all of us. I'm not sure what I'll do with myself her first day. I'm supposed to go in to work, but I'll be totally distracted these first few days until I hear things are going well.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:30 AM

I have 3 kids heading to school after 3 years of HSing:. It sounds like I'm in the same boat as many of you--I'm a little nervous about my 12 yo who will be in jr. high and my 6 yo who's never been to school before and wondering what the heck my 2 yo will do all day without her siblings!

School starts Aug. 19 for my oldest and Aug 20 for the others. They will be in 3 different schools. My 10 yo got into the local charter school but there wasn't an opening for 1st grade--my son is first on the waiting list but they are over-enrolled by 5 students. They say there is a very good chance he will still get in for this year, but it won't be until after school starts. Not sure what I should do there. He's very excited about going with his friends to the neighborhood school, but I like the curriculum at the charter school so much better. He should do well academically (knows phonics and sight words, LOVES math), but I don't know how he's going to handle doing the school thing EVERY day.

The charter school has already done the placement testing for 10 yo (5th grade). We've mostly done unschooling so I was a little nervous about the math but she tested at grade level--so yay! For reading she aced the 5th grade level so they tested her at 7th grade level and she aced that too. They said they don't test higher than that and put her in a 6th grade novel-reading group. Doesn't that sound like fun?

My oldest will be in 7th grade at the jr. high--yikes! She's my child who has always struggled a little academically. Reading did not come easily for her and it's pretty hard to motivate her to do things she doesn't want to do:/. I don't know how she's going to manage homework from 8 classes--she's so disorganized. I've liked homeschooling for her because I think it's great that she's been able to go at her own pace. I never pushed reading with her. She picked up Twilight about 6 months ago and read it in 2 days--and it was the first time she'd ever finished a book! She's read the whole series now and has moved onto the House of Night and Sookie Stackhouse books. I guess the vampire genre really speaks to her . I suppose my point is, I feel like she's finally reading well enough to do well in school (hopefully). I was perfectly happy to keep homeschooling her but she wants to go to school--and she makes no secret that it's all about the socializing:/. Tomorrow is new student enrollment for her so we'll get to pick classes.

Wow, this got long. I'm glad to see this thread. It's nice to have other moms to hold hands with while we make this change.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:45 AM

Yeh Springbabe, other moms to hold hands with, that is a good way to put it!! A great way to put it!!

I'm REALLY, really, really on the fence still. I think I would love to back out and not do the PS thing. But I stupidly told the kids they would probably be starting this week. They are over the moon about it. But I just want to put them back in their 2-day-a-week charter. It's nice there, except my 9 YO was pretty bored sometimes. He was not being challenged. He's not too challenged at home either, because I'm such an unschooler. My oldest (11 YO) DD is just desperate to start school. That's clear. But DS just wants to go to skateboard camp this week.

I'm feeling very torn right now. It's even hard to sleep. WHY oh why is this so freakin hard??

Ruthla, do you really have like 45,000 posts? Holy Batman, Robin!

Having five kids is hard when I'm feeling conflicted about their mode of education. I'm gonna need a vacation.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

How did you break the news to your hs friends that your kids would be going to public school? I have some for which it will be no big deal but other who'll think I've lost my mind.

I'm a socially conservative Catholic, so my homeschool support group was one of the main places I met other moms like me and it will be sad not to be a part of it this year.

One week to go until elementary registration. We have my husband home this week on vacation, next week is VBS at our church and then two more weeks free until school starts. My 6yo has her "first day of school" outfit picked out already.

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 PM

Well, the kids had their first day of school today! For me, it was relaxing just having the two little ones at home. We went to our athletic club and sat around on floaties in the pool, southern California breeze swaying the palm trees around us. Not bad. My 6 month old DS sat in his stroller and checked out the scene. (Can't swim right now because he's got a little cough.)

The kids came home super excited! Our oldest DD is just ecstatic and told me she was surrounded by friends, new and old, all day long. All. Day. Long. She is Miss Social Butterfly. She lives to socialize. (She's 11 and starting 6th grade.) Our 9 YO DS came home pretty happy too, and he also saw his friends all day and loved it. Mostly though, he thinks about food and swim team. Still, he really likes his new teacher (a guy!) and thinks school is a good place. Our little 6 YO came home tired and a bit cranky. I think she enjoyed herself OK, just that it was all too much for her. I'm curious to see how she will adjust to life in first grade. She's very independent and strong, mentally and physically.

I thought I'd try to find a little preschool a couple of mornings a week for our 3 YO, but it is too $$$$$. Two mornings a week is $300 and up around here, yikes. I guess that's not happening. Shheeesh.

So......here we are, in public school. I wonder what it will be like. I'm very curious.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hidden Life View Post
How did you break the news to your hs friends that your kids would be going to public school? I have some for which it will be no big deal but other who'll think I've lost my mind.
I didn't have any homeschool friends where we lived now, but I have some in other cities that I stayed in touch with. It did feel a little odd to tell them, like I've turned my back on a huge value. They were super and encouraged me to do what was best for my children and myself and not worry about it.

It might help to be very open and honest about *why.* That way, they won't think you've lost your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler View Post
Well, the kids had their first day of school today!
Yeah!!! I'm glad to hear it went well!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

freestyler ~ About preschool try a preschool program through the city. That is what we are doing for my 3yr old it is reasonably priced.

I really want to homeschool my daughter who struggled in public school K last year so much it was suggested she go to summer school then that was canceled because budget cuts. My dh's compromise to me wanting to homeschool is we send her to 1st grade in public school and then in December re evalute then if not sooner depending on how she is doing.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 08-12-2009, 12:53 AM

First day is tomorrow - I'm kinda freakin' out.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 AM

My son's first day of high school is Thursday. He is nervous. I am to. I am so far not impressed with the school or curriculum.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 PM

I'd love to jump in here, but my oldest DS is the only one going to school and he's going to private school...is that okay? I'm going to assume it is, but feel free to kick me out if you'd like.

I think my biggest problem with the school issue is that only one of them is going to be going. There is no space for my 6yo in the private school and our local public school is a very, very, very rough school. When I was still trying to decide on schools, I found that an academically unacceptable school is a reason to have school choice in our district. UA schools rate below 60% on whatever scale. Our local school is 62%, so no school choice for us, but OMG, not someplace I really wanted my kids.

So....we have financial aid to a little private school that I'm mostly excited about DS1 going to (but not excited about paying for...even after aid *sigh*) and DS2 will be staying home with me this year, doing something very easy and workbookish every day. I've had to set some ground rules, like that there will be no Wii, TV, or computer while DS1 is at school. I think that would make DS1 really resent the fact that he's at school, KWIM? But at the same time, that's really gonna make my life hard, I think!

DS1 is over the moon about school. We went yesterday and got a brief tour and on Friday we go to meet his teacher and see his classroom. He'll start school on Monday...yikes! I keep waiting for the nerves to show up, for him or me, and they're just not there. We're both quite happy with this decision, which feels so good. In hindsight, I can say that none of us were ever truly happy with homeschooling. We were doing it because I felt like it was our only acceptable (affordable) choice.

I'm worried about getting up early, making sure he has clean, unstained clothes every day (yeah, that makes us sound like such slobs, but this boy can get clothes really gross in no time flat), packing lunches, and the drive to and from school each morning and afternoon. I also wonder how that's going to work after I have the baby in March (who, incidentally, tipped the scales toward them going to school ). I guess we'll just see how it all works out in time, huh?

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Old 08-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hidden Life View Post
My two closest friends homeschool. One of them is also making the switch to schools this year. It's hard, though, because she is really struggling with the fact that the local public school (different than our local public school) is her only option and I'm soooo excited about the experience I'm anticipating at this private school. I feel like if I say too much about how great this school is and how lucky we are for DS to be going there, it will sound like I'm gloating (she knows I'm not, but it's a fine line).

My other friend, who is what I would describe as a devout homeschooler, has always been great about knowing that while she's chosen it for her kids and she loves it, it's not for everyone. When I told her I was (unexpectedly) pregnant, her first question was "what are you going to do about schools?" She knew I was having a hard time anyway and had no problem helping me sort through school issues to find a school that would work for us.

Everyone else will just find out over time, or through my blog, I guess. I'm not terribly worried about what they'll think of me and I'm pretty sure that we'll still be able to maintain friendships with our homeschooled friends while going to school.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 PM

The first day went great! We'll see how the math placement test went in a few days. However, the get to know each other activities were fun and she is stoked about going back tomorrow. After an hour of talking about her day, we did her other half of school (our homeschooling part of the day) in about 30 minutes. LOL
No homework yet.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
The first day went great! We'll see how the math placement test went in a few days. However, the get to know each other activities were fun and she is stoked about going back tomorrow. After an hour of talking about her day, we did her other half of school (our homeschooling part of the day) in about 30 minutes. LOL
No homework yet.
YAY! I'm glad she had fun and is looking forward to tomorrow. That's always a good sign. I'd like to know more about the part-time homeschooling option you're doing if you feel like sharing .

Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 PM

So glad to find you guys!

My ds1 started k last yr and absolutely hated it! (He loved pre-k and had no problems at all there). I felt so bad for him, he was having behavioral issues, seemed like he was always getting into trouble for talking too much, not following directions, etc. He was even seeing the school counselor and I felt like he was getting the difficult kid label (even though the school was really good about it).

After winter break we decided to hs and we didn't send him back. I was excited to do all kinds of hs things, join the local hs group, etc.

I was working from home at the time (laid off in july) and between that, the younger kids, and my lack of imagination, it seemed like I wasn't able to challenge him and he seemed bored. Plus the closest hs group is a 35 min drive.

After being laid off we started doing more and I was really thinking how to get us in the hs mode.

Until my 6 1/2 yr old ds1 tells me less than 2 days before school started that he really wants to go back to school. He begged. I reminded him of what happened last yr, what my plans were for our hs, we talked about it and he really wanted to go.

So I registered him THE DAY BEFORE school started, bought all the school supplies, uniforms (of course last yr's didn't fit anymore) and he started today.

I was sooooo nervous all day! Almost in tears a few times worrying. He said he had a fun day. Some ups, some downs, but mostly good and he wants to go back.

I feel kind of like a hs failure, but I also want to follow his lead and make sure his needs are being met. I'm not as good at the hs as I really wanted to be, but I just want him to be happy no matter what.

BTW, our schools are really good so I don't have any worries about that. There are only three 1st grade classes in the whole school, it's pretty small and manageable and he really likes his teacher.

Hope the first day goes well for you guys too!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post
I'm not as good at the hs as I really wanted to be
This is me. Especially with two little ones in the house, I just can't devote the attention I need to it. Fortunately neither of the boys has had any negative effects of my unschoolish nature at all, but *I* just am NOT an unschooler (I'm more like a non-schooler, I guess) and something had to give.

I'm glad your DS had a great day. We had a very similar experience with K and only made it about three weeks. DS still has a lot of yucky memories from K and they come out occasionally, like when he asked the admissions director at his new school how loud the carpool waiting area will be or when he asked if he's allowed to talk at lunch. The experience really turned me off of school entirely, but I'm finding that the experiences he had are pretty exclusive to the school he was at, which is unfortunate because it has a great reputation for some reason .

Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
YAY! I'm glad she had fun and is looking forward to tomorrow. That's always a good sign. I'd like to know more about the part-time homeschooling option you're doing if you feel like sharing .
Well I typed a novel about it and then lost it. I guess you are lucky and get the short version now. :

A charter high school (8-12th) will allow a few kids to go part-time. They seemed to like dd's test scores and she impressed them when she shadowed. So, they have been very accommodating. They have a block schedule so a one year course is completed in a semester. She takes two classes a semester, 4 for the year, so it is like going half-time. She's there from 8:10 to 11:00 (actually 11:30 because she wants to stay and visit over lunch, but we can leave at 11 if we need to do so). Next semester she will be there from 11:30 to 2:20 ( or from 11 if eating lunch there).

I don't know yet if she is homeschooling high school with a few public school classes on her transcript or if she will graduate through this high school. We're going to see how the year goes and then negotiate for future years. They do have kids doing some online courses as well as dual enrollment at the university or community college. I think they have allowed some self-designed courses (pass/fail only) but I'm not sure about that or what criteria must be met. We are homeschooling Lang. Arts/literature, history, Latin, music, PE, and art. However, the school will not be granting any credit for these. This is fine with us at this point. She will take Biology, Geometry this semester and then Spanish and Physical Science next semester from them.

The school has a large percentage of former homeschoolers (perhaps 30%?), so they are somewhat used to us. I would envision our daughter doing some blend of their classes, online courses, dual enrollment at the college, and some self-designed courses. Not sure they are ready (or able) to jump out on that limb with us. They are being pretty flexible so far. They understand my dd is young and accelerated, and that we're taking a unique path.

I'll post later about dd's one awkward moment today.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 AM

He is waiting for the bus....

He is so excited.....

My dogs are confused. LOL There man cub is out front with out them.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
He is waiting for the bus....

He is so excited.....

My dogs are confused. LOL There man cub is out front with out them.

Awww.... It's sad isn't it? And happy, and exciting, all at the same time.

My ds did not want to go to school this morning, and it's only the second day. He has a really hard time waking up in the morning. I need to figure out how to make waking up easier. Any ideas?

I really hope he has a lot of fun today and gets excited about school. I am praying soooo hard. It was great to see his big smile when I picked him up yesterday.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:09 PM

Ugh, dd has a cold. She has a cough but no other symptoms but feeling a little tired. She reallly wanted to go so I took her to school. If we were homeschooling I would just keep her home and take it easy. However, she really wanted to go.

Yesterday was great for her, except for one awkward moment. The teacher her group of 8th graders went with to do get to know each other stuff, asked them which class they all went to first period. She goes to Biology. The teacher started questioning her, why would an 8th grader be taking high school biology? She of course just looked at her and said, because I want to. LOL The teacher had to go all around school asking why are 8th graders taking Biology and can they even get credit? (there are 3 8th graders in the class and yes they can get credit). Anyway, she was evidently in a bit of a tizzy about it. The funny part to me was imagining what she would have done if she had realized my daughter was not only just an 8th grader, but only 10 (nearly 11) years old! Luckily for her she is tall and behaves in a mature manner, so except for the few who know her she seems like a typical 8th grader.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:20 PM

My youngest daughter burnt the pizza....her brother wasn't here to take it out. That is normally his job.

One thing with my son, I think he will have it easier because he wants to be their. He is craving the new environment. And as long as the girls keep on "acting" stupid we will be ok. He hates giggly boy crazy girls. He wants one that has brains and not religious. He might find a few of those in a high school, so I am a little more nervous.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome, moms! Yes, Charlotte, you are welcome to post here.
We still don't start til 9/8 so nearly a month of summer left! Next week we have VBS and then two more weeks of stir-crazy kids til school starts. The weather here (Seattle area) has taken a turn for the cold and gray and wet, so they're all indoors most of the time! Fortunately my husband has been on vacation as well so he's been taking them biking on the trails and such. Tomorrow I go "into town" to get a birth certificate for my #3 for next week's elementary registration. Finally got all our immunization documents. And I finally put it out there on my blog that the kids were going back to public school this year!

I'm glad so many "first day of school" have already gone well. I expect ours will be great too but for my 3yo wondering why he can't get on the yellow bus! Maybe he will sleep in...for 180 days.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM

My 6.5yo son is "trying out" public school for 1st grade this year (starts Sept. 8). I really want him to stay, but I told him we'll take it a week at a time. He really doesn't want to go, but my 3.5yo will be in preschool 3 days a week (for his 2nd year, he begged to go last year and loves it). I think my son needs some peer pressure to work on reading, he can read easy readers but hates to do it and our homeschooling involves a lot of whining and arguing. He's a very social, peer-oriented kid and I think he'll excel in school. Also, he's really great at math and that will be fun for him. Our public school is great. We're moving next year to a much suckier school district and we'll probably return to homeschooling for 2nd grade.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:36 PM

Well, the first week of school is nearly over for my kids. They are 6, 9 and 11. Our 11 YO DD seems to actually really like the place, and she did beg to go (for like five years.) SO perhaps that will work out for her. I don't know how she will like all the tests and other yucky stuff. Our 9 YO DS, in my opinion, is just not a really great candidate for school. He is still just really physical----needs like 5 hours of exercise a day and just wants to build models and swim and skateboard. Last night was back-to-school night, and his teacher said that although DS has GREAT reading skills (we love reading at home!!!), his handwriting is really, uh, lacking, and Teacher was surprised that DS was not more advanced in writing. What can I say? I am unschooly, and I never liked forcing writing on him when there was a) nothing to write about, and b) he just does not have the fine motor skills yet. So that is annoying....that sense that you'd better get your kid on the conveyor belt with everyone else, blah blah ablah...

And I met our DD's first grade teacher. And saw what they do in first grade. UGH! You're probably saying, why didn't I check this all our BEFORE putting her in? Good question. I guess I just assumed it would be fine and after our great experience with the homeschool charter program, I figured how different could this be? A LOT different, it turns out. The little guys are forced to sit and sit and sit ALL DAY with almost no exercise or break. They have seven periods. The classes are ungodly long. They have TWO reading classes every day, with ridiculous drills and "spelling word" lists and all that sort of thing. Ummmm, my little DD is learning to read, and to love reading, by having half an hour of instruction with me most days, and by being read to a ton. And math, well, she's doing fine there too. I see no reason to bludgeon the poor girl over the head with academics at this early age. Her little sister misses her, she's missing our bike rides and walks, she's unable to get enough sleep at night (she's a late sleeper), and she comes home exhausted. I'm not liking what the first grade is doing at all, it's way too much hard core, forced and rushed acadamics. I'm taking her out in a week. Oh, and did I mention, the teacher is cold, severe, BORING and just plain not a person I'll give my daughter over to five days a week.

And for DS, the verdict is still out. For DD, I'd like to let her stay unless there is a pressing reason to take her out.

This is so stressful. Ugh. I hate it.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:50 PM

my 6yo starts on the 24th...she really wanted to try ps, i'd like to keep hsing but am willing to give it a try. she's super social and already pretty far ahead for first grade, so i'm more nervous about her being bored than making friends (easy peasy for her to make friends..not a shy bone in that kid's body.. ).

as the day approaches, i'm having a hard time. dh and i decided that if the teachers start in on adhd stuff (she's really active but not attention deficit in anyway...i can see how the teachers might see it like that though), or there are serious problems then we'll just pull her out. otherwise we told her to give it a go until christmas then we'll see where things stand. she's excited, but also is comfortable knowing she can come back to homeschooling if she really desires that again. i'm the one having minor anxiety about it..

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
Old 08-14-2009, 11:02 PM

hi! My 6 yr old is off to kindergarten. We always thought we'd hs but there is just no support for it here and so he has no social interaction whatsoever. Plus, I dont think I am cut out for it. I need to breathe!!! (And with a 3 yr old and a tornado of a 20 mo old, I dont get to breathe much.)

I am actually seriously considering sending the 3 yr old to headstart because she is totally schooly and I think she would LOVE it.

My 6 yr old is terrified, however warming up to the idea of school...(I was an unschooler and spent a good amount of time bashing the system in front of him. )

I think its possible that we will try hs in the future when I dont have so much on my plate. we'll play it by ear.

User Tag List