Can You Get Your Child Out of Gym Class? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you considered encouraging her to take up cheerleading????? It is So.Much.Fun!!!

Be sure to start her as early as you can, like NOW. Try outs can be really competitive you know?

-Good Luck. HTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
No experience with pulling them out of gym class but my 1st and 3rd grader LOVE PE days. Just b/c the parents had a negative experience doesn't mean the children will, ya know? I am just imagining my kid having to sit out, on the sides if I insisted they couldn't participate in gym. That seems more embarrassing then not being the best physically at something. Unless there is a medical reason, I don't see public schools being able to accommodate for this (as in, having your child do an alternate activity, or staying in the classroom) b/c they don't have the staffing for that. It's like if someone didn't want their kid going outside every day for recess - who would stay in to watch them?

I guess you could call the school district and see what their policy is... of course, there's no way to know how things will be handled years from now.
My sister and I were total opposites- she was really outgoing and I was painfully shy. However, we both LOVED gym class. Also, my mom taught PE for many years and incorporated music, dance, spelling, etc. She's not big on competition for kids (unless they've sought it out by signing up for a team sport or something).

Maybe you should just cross that bridge when you come to it- your DCs may LOVE it and be feel out of place if they aren't allowed to participate, KWIM?
Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moobiegirl View Post
I didn't have to take PE in high school because I was in band.
This actually I only saw our school gym like 3 times my entire highschool career one during HS orintations and twice picking up a friend on the tennis team. Like others said there are actually quite a few options to trational PE these days specific sports band cheer squads ect. Many shcools now are also reducing PE to once a week my DD school is like this k-6th not sure about the upper grades.. I HATED Jr high PE and frankly outright skipped it many days with out any real penlity but sports was just not my thing my own DD on the other hand is extremely gifted in athletics (where she got it from who knows) and is naturally competive PE is an outlit for her.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 08-23-2009, 08:05 AM

I agree gym stinks for a lot of kids. The magnet school we're going to (DD starts K on Monday!!!! has afternoon elective classes (2 per quarter for 1st grade, 3 per quarter 2nd-8th grades) and they offer karate, dance, outdoor games, etc. that the parents and students can pick from together.

Jenn
Old 08-23-2009, 01:19 PM

In my state you can get your kid out for medical reasons, as well as being in another physical activity, including sports and dance. You may even get gym credit for the extra curricular activity.

It bothers me that many excellent teachers are laid off, or fantastic academic programs are cut, when the budget gets too tight. But gym can never be cut, it's the law, dammit!

I too, dreaded gym as a kid. I was terrible at sports, always bullied or yelled at for not making that goal, snickered at and teased. My gym teachers always punished kids who did that, but the damage was done. They prepped the kids not to bully, they modeled, they gave consequences, but some kids just got too swept up in the games. They seemed to forget that it was ALL just a game- one with no prizes or scholarships and such.

Even the non-competitive stuff, like jump rope, juggling, stretching, I was terrible at, and hated being mocked for it. Americans I think, as a culture, are just too obsessed with athletic ability. I would say it goes beyond gym class, and we need to find a way to teach kids to relax about physical ability.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Unafraid View Post
It's a distance away (DD is only a baby), but we'd like to send DD to a nice public school. However, we both hate the idea of making her attend a gym class when she gets older.
She's a baby and you have so, so many things going on between now and then. You have no idea what she'll be like at that age or what will be fun for HER. This is all about the 2 of you and what you feel would have been better for you, is no way to raise a child. She is a completely different person who will have completely different experiences.

I have an 11 year old who homeschooled until she was 10 and then started public school. She loves PE, except when they play volleyball (which I wouldn't dream of getting her out of because she is old enough for it to be character building).

*IF* your DD has problems with PE, then cross that bridge when you get there. Projecting your issues from childhood on your child is not helpful to her.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 PM

I hated gym class, and well I hated school period, but that was because I had undiagnosed Asperger's and was a total outcast.

Anyway, most kids like gym class I think. And the things they do around here in gym class is pretty cool. Like rock climbing. The elementary school has a rock climbing wall in the gym. PE has changed a lot since we were kids.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 PM

Didnt read all the posts but wanted to add that in the forms we got this week from SD Kinder class it had an "Opt-Out" form on physical evaluations like, height, weight, visual screenings, etc...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostAPpropriate View Post
physical evaluations like, height, weight, visual screenings, etc...
although our school requires these things, they are done outside of school. We have to bring in forms proving that our child has been weighed/measured/ eyes screened/etc., but we have them done by the health care provider of our choice and the information is treated as confidential by the school.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 AM

At my high school, you could get out of taking a regular PE class by enrolling in weight training, dance, cheer, marching band, or 2 or more sports.

At most middle schools in my state, PE is mandatory, except for temporary medical excuses. Persistent inability to participate in a regular PE class lands you in an adaptive PE class.

Honestly, instead of trying to get out of PE, you can always tell the school you'd like to "opt out" of fitness/health screenings.

I currently have 2nd, 4th and 7th graders, and to be completely honest with you, the elementary school PE classes are more about learning how to play the sport than actually being competitive... learning good sportsmanship is an important element of the classes.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 AM

I don't think they "line kids up" the same way anymore.

I would look at the graduation requirements. In our school, no one has to take PE if they are in after school sports (2 years equals one year of gym I think?) AND take what is basically a health class with a passing final exam.

One of the things I have noticed is the "make up policy" that many PE teachers have that I know. If a student misses a class, the parent signs a form that their kid did 30 minutes of (jogging, bike riding, swimming, etc) and then they get the points for that day. So maybe conveniently missing a physical fitness test and biking instead for that day would work out?

Mainly though I don't think gym class is ALL about learning, I think it is to get kids active, and help them stay active to fight the obesity problems in America.

I know a girl that homeschooled and took aerobics class for her PE credit. Here a student can "homeschool" some classes and be enrolled in public school for others... Perhaps homeschool the PE classes? (her homeschool was part of a set program though that approved the aerobics for credit, and then the credit from the homeschool program was transferred to the public school).

My stepson LOVED gym, but one year, I basically forced him into a swimming class, which he hated. But we live in a place with a high rate of drownings, and I felt it was important for his safety. He never became a good swimmer, and still dislikes it, but at least he learned he can float if he has to. He did eventually pass that class.

Personally I would give a try and see how it goes, though.. things change. I HATED outdoor sports. I couldn't cross country ski a lick, and moved to a rural school where EVERYONE (even kindys) cross country ski..

low and behold, living in an urban area, now, and who decides he LOVES cross country skiing? My oldest son. Well, he didn't get it from me.

User Tag List