Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 08-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
1.00 is amazing! Our typical fee for a fieldtrip (like to the Discovery Science Museum) is about 60.00. These trips happen throughout the year, and the letter is sent home with how much we owe about a week after each trip. I think my kids had about 7 field trips last year.

In 4th grade there is one overnight field trip, and the total is about 200.00. In 5th grade it is a 4 night trip to Santa Cruz science camp, and the total was about 500.00.

This is a public school in the bay area.

I grew up in California, and I don't remember my parents paying so much--so things have definitely changed. I remember I was in 7th grade when prop 13 passed, and that is when everything started getting cut from our schools.
It really is, considering these are all day field trips to a city 2+ hours away and includes one meal at an all you can eat buffet style restaurant. The field trips in the past have been to the zoo, museum and a planetarium.
#62 of 64 Old 08-31-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for all the replies -- very interesting! Some stuff, like people mentioning yearbooks, sports, lunches, bus fees, etc. weren't surprising, and I don't consider those "fees," since of course parents are responsible for paying for their kids' food and transportation, whether they drive them/pack a lunch (which is what we'll do) or bus them/buy a lunch.

One poster mentioned paying something like $450/month for "full-day K" -- is that because there's after-school childcare after instruction ends (in which case it's really the childcare that's being paid for)? Or is it a private school? I know for sure I've never heard of a public school charging that much for regular instruction.

And extras like yearbook and sports are optional, so I don't consider those "fees" either. Field trips are another expected expense, IMO, and are usually nominal.

It sounds like only some schools have actual registration/administrative fees, and it sounds like that doesn't happen in CA, so it looks like I don't have to worry!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#63 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 PM

I only read the first two pages. We have no school fees for the basics. No registration fee, no book fee, no bus fee (NJ actually has a law that if a town buses for their public school, they must bus for private and magnet schools - so my daughter is bused 45-60 minutes each way, each day). No sports fees. Clinics, team "casual" wear (sweats, etc.) are extra, but the clothes are monogrammed and the kids keeps them at the end of the season. Varsity jackets, class rings, etc, you pay for. AP exams - pay for, unless you get free/reduced lunch or otherwise qualify for a reduction. Marching Band has a uniform fee - $250, nonrefundable. I never paid it last year, and they haven't come after me. Yet. Band and Football have pretty hefty fundraising requirements - you either do that or pay a set fee ($250/300?) which goes to providing food at competitions/games, etc.

But pretty much, it's free.
#64 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 PM

We just got surprised with this tonight. Where we lived last year there wasn't anything resembling a fee to attend public school, in fact I'd never heard of such a thing. The extras sure - school spirit wear, yearbook, etc. Tonight I was informed that I "owe" the school district $30 a child for fees. I wasn't sure what fees they were talking about and they let me know in no uncertain terms that our new state most certainly does *not* have a free public education and expect to pay around $200 per child to attend by high school. Glad they're only in elementary right now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page