Are smart boards the norm in schools now? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw a lot of them when touring the public schools in our district. We are in a Montessori charter schools and there is no reason for them since Montessori classrooms are different from ordinary public school. They use more hands on tools. I would FREAK if I saw smartboards in their school!

ETA: And I am a tech freak! I couldn't live without my droid!

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#92 of 100 Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Funny to see this thread back!

The public school my kids went to last year had smart boards in every room and the teacher's used them in exciting and creative ways to engage students (I wrote about it last year). They also had an amazing computer lab where my kids did very cool projects.

This year my kids are attending a private alternative school with no smart boards and barely any computers. They are really enjoying the dark room, kiln, sign language class, etc. There are some computers in the library for word processing and research, but that's about it.

You really can get a good education either way, but I think that the more students per teacher, the easier it is for the teacher to engage all the kids using something like a smart board. They are very cool tools.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#93 of 100 Old 09-02-2010, 12:15 AM

DD's kinder room had one last year (all classes have one) and I know it was easier for the teacher to be facing the students at all times instead of writingon a chalkboard with her back to them. Some of the boys in that class....yeah, much better to be facing them! LOL!

Jenn
#94 of 100 Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipGal View Post
My son's class just got a smartboard yesterday. Everyone is very excited about how "neat" and "cool" it is. I'm not really that excited about it. Even after one day my son had that "grumpy after too much time on the computer" thing going after a day of school staring at the smartboard. I'm hoping the teacher won't use it as much during the year (maybe she used it so much yesterday because it was the first day?). I try to limit screen time for my kids because I think they need real life experiences for proper brain development. I'm not excited about him watching videos or playing with a giant computer all day. (Yes, I know it isn't ALL day, but a large part of the day). Maybe in middle school or high school I could see how it would be a positive thing, but for elementary it just seems like more screen time (and less time with hands on materials and/or interacting with other children).

When I taught it was seen as poor teaching to show the kids videos. But somehow if it is on the computer it is great (versus watching it on TV). Would people be so excited if their classrooms got new big screen TVs that the teacher could show videos on? I don't send my son to school or pay tuition to have him watch videos, but maybe that is just me.

I would love to see some research that shows how much learning is improved by smartboards. So far I have only seen how much teachers "like" them, but I haven't seen studies showing that children are reaching a higher level of thinking / understanding with them. I know the funding is coming from another source, but I would really love to see funding going towards tutoring or other things that actually would help children learn to read, understand math, write well, etc.
I do think that watching a video on the smart board can be a very different experience from watching one on a TV. When I first started teaching TV/VCR's (no DVD's) were what we used. If I wanted to watch a video with my class, we had to call the audio visual guy to wheel the thing down the hall or set up the projector, and then we either had to watch the thing from the beginning or wait while I rewound it to the right point. It was enough of a production that you wouldn't do it unless you were watching a whole video. We might do a half hour magic school bus video that related to science or watch something like "Charlotte's web" after we read the book, but it was a rare thing, and frankly not very useful for the kids at all. For many teachers it was a cheap way to get babysitting when you were desperately trying to get the report cards done.

Today, with a smart board, the teachers I supervise use video really differently. If they're teaching a lesson, they might pull up a 30 second clip or a 60 second clip from a library of science and social studies videos to illustrate a topic well. For example, if they're studying animals they might watch a few seconds of how each animal moves, or if they're studying the lifecycle of a butterfly they might watch a short video of how the butterfly moves through all the stages in super speeded up motion. This is really targeted, and the videos they're watching are brief and align really well with a topic. Or kids might watch themselves (e.g. if they're in drama class and practicing a play) or something.

Other things they use the smart board for include game show type games where each kid has a "clicker" and the teacher can instantly see which kids are "getting it" and which kids aren't (the board just shows a graph of how many are right, his computer screen shows which kids are which). Or for using guided notes where he starts with notes that are mostly blank and fills in key concepts, or for putting up a document to edit with the class watching, or for an activity like I saw the other day where the French teacher was having kids sort pictures into the 2 different types of words for foods you eat (foods you eat "some" of and foods you eat "one" or "two" or another number of).

Can it be boring and "screen timish", yes in the hands of the wrong teacher, but that teacher probably ws boring before the smart board -- the kids were just staring at a chalk board or a piece of chart paper. But it has the potential to be as interactive as any other technology.
#95 of 100 Old 09-02-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
Where did you go to college 3 years ago that the majority of people didn't have laptops. I'm not trying to be snarky at all, just honestly curious if it's regional or something.

I'm ancient so when I went to college I took notes. My younger sisters, however all went to college 1999-2009 (some of them got advanced degrees) and even back in '99 they each needed laptops for school. This was 4 year, public universities on the west coast.

About 2 years ago I took several courses at a public, 4 year university here in the deep south. A laptop wasn't "required" - but every single person had one.

With the cost being so cheap (esp for a word processing laptop that can get online) I can't imagine why anyone would choose to write notes. I type a gazillion times faster than I write, plus my hand gets tired. Technology is a good thing, IMO. Very good.
There is a difference between having a laptop in college, and bringing it to every class. When I worked at a college just a few years ago, we had plenty of computers, but they tended to stay in the offices and such. I used mine to make up hand out for the students all the time. They just didn't actually come into the classroom. The students brought note books and pens to take note or do drawing.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#96 of 100 Old 09-02-2010, 04:08 AM

My big question is, if you have very expensive smartboards in kindergarten, what happens when one of the impulsive and curious 5 yo decides to try writing on it with the safety scissors?

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#97 of 100 Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
My big question is, if you have very expensive smartboards in kindergarten, what happens when one of the impulsive and curious 5 yo decides to try writing on it with the safety scissors?
I was kind of waiting for this myself because one of mine is very curious, and an explorer. But, it never happened, and I found that the class was generally extremely respectful of the teacher's instructions.
#98 of 100 Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 AM

Generally the students love using it, so if they abuse it they don't get to use it. Also the board themselves are pretty durable. I don't think the scissors would really damage it - it's not like a regular touch screen or flat screen.
#99 of 100 Old 09-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
As the mom of a three-year-old who got here through "today's posts" I am horrified. I'm thinking living overseas (like in France, where they still have to write their term papers by hand) might be cheaper than private school.

How awful- you don't have to take your own notes? What's the point?
Just because a classroom has a smartbd doesn't mean you don't have to take your own notes. Please don't jump to conclusions. I have a smartbd in my classroom, as well as a regular whiteboard. Students take notes, and I use the smartbd to show documents (it's great for marking up docs that are in Word to demonstrate editing), showing interactive things from the web, showing websites (like, we're reading Julius Caesar.. quick, pull up a picture of the Colossus of Rhodes to explain that allusion..), etc. It's actually a great, and enriching tool.

ETA: Oh wow. Note to self. Read the date of the post you're responding to.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#100 of 100 Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 PM

when my daughter attended a parochial preschool and i can not tell you how much the school and teachers talked up these smart boards. to me they are glorified dittos or photocopied assignments, the teacher just does not have to make 20 copies because it is displayed on the smart board. the teacher told me how the children would be able to see the life cycle of a butterfly. and i told her how we purchased a butterfly kit and it was amazing to see the cycle up close. Then she told me how they do patterns of the screen and I said that I thought it would be more beneficial for each child to do a pattern with pennies and nickles. Last year, we went to public kindergarten and the teacher was saying how she was going to have a smart board in the class that she would share with another class. She ended up using it far less than she original thought.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page