Where to send my child ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-04-2004, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Cleveland Ohio with one of the most horrendous Public School districts......But, with one the most innovative School Choice Programs. It is called the Cleveland Scholarship and Tutoring Program(CSTP)

It a pilot program in the State of Ohio and the City of Cleveland was chosen because of the poor quality of the public schools -unsafe, leaking roofs , crime in the hallways( to include a murdered child who just stepped off the bus, two streets from me.)

As people with few choices,(especially if you reside in the urban areas and must, due to economic restraints) we have been given the ability to use our tax dollars to choose the school we want for our children. That school can be public, private or otherwise. (There are some restrictions because it is still a pilot program, but overall it is a start in the right direction.)

Public funded education does not have to be in a public school

This allows for a free choice as to where a child attends school which suits them best.

Who else knows what's best for their child?
It is, and will always be..........the mother

When I hear people looking at their options for their child's education it reminds me how educational justice can served to all children through a School Choice System.

I applaud the mother who takes a keen interest in this process of educational choice.

You go Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-06-2004, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Well spoken! So where will you send your child/ren? What are the choices that you have open to you?

Here in VT we don't really have the concept of choice due to small population. I often envy those who do, but there are other benefits to being so small and rural.

#3 of 7 Old 02-06-2004, 01:14 AM

Hi there, this is TOTALLY off topic, but do you really have TWELVE kids? Wow!
#4 of 7 Old 02-08-2004, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Yes we really have twelve children and when I say "we" that is the same husband, all home grown, no step, no blended, no adopted. Naturallly birthed and all breast fed. Sound like cheaper by the dozen -( We took the whole family to see that movie, somewhat on base and we enjoyed it.) i t has been, and still is a wild ride.

I hold education dear to my heart, it is the key to our future, the future of our children and the world. Because of this I have been a grassroots organizer of Parental rights through School Choice.

My children are normal kids who deserve the best I can give them. School Choice has allowed me to send them to the same grade school I attended as a child. and then on to quality high schools.
The choices I have are still limited but I make the best decision for the time and the individual child. I expect them to study hard because they have the ability to do so. This leads to good grades which lead to college scholarships .
This is educational empowerment of the child. Once they have this they are self inspired to go for the whole package .

I have four college graduates, 2 currently in college, 2 in high school and 4 in grade school.

Cleveland State University , St John's College,Annapolis Md. Universtiy of Detroit -Mercy, Syracuse University.N.Y., St. John's University N.Y., and University of Toledo, Ohio.

Children have to be inspired to self motivate. Things must not be made too comfortable. They must be given just enough and not too much . There must be a balance. And then a point comes when they realize this is their life and not mine. I guess you could call it "cutting the apron strings"
#5 of 7 Old 02-08-2004, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Who else knows what's best for their child?
It is, and will always be..........the mother
Yes, exactly. I'm always a bit puzzled when I encounter school officials who seem to feel that parents should be subordinates and meekly follow school board policies no matter how unjust. Parents are the tax payers and it makes sense that we should be given choice in how/where our children are educated.

So, for how long has there been school choice in Cleveland? You organized the grassroots organization that started it all? Wow. That's quite an accomplishment, especially in such a large urban area like Cleveland. (I'm originally from Buffalo, NY but now live in the South. I think our 2 cities have many similarities.) Was it difficult to get it started? Did you find many parents who were interested?
#6 of 7 Old 02-08-2004, 09:40 PM

to you! We have 7. Our oldest 10 and youngest 15 months. I would love to have more but it is a wild ride and I'm in school.
#7 of 7 Old 02-08-2004, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

I have been involved in the School Choice movement for the last 7 years.The program in Cleveland Ohio started about 1995. I was preganant with Angelica, my twelvth . Angelica is now a first grader and receives a scholarship with the Cleveland program.

Public schools are funded in three ways
Federal funded which is limited in amount
State funding which comes from taxes is about 1/2
and local funding from your local taxes, the other half - in the city of Cleveland our school funding comes from real estate taxes and corp taxes

In your state, I do not know if it the same. Different states fund education in different ways. You should be able to access that info. from you state dept of education website.

This program became possible through a well written piece of legislation, which was presented in the Ohio Senate and Ohio House of Representatives. It then was voted into law . We had a Governor who was on our side.

The exact legislation can be found on the internet.

Once the legislation was enacted the program was advertised in the newspapers and I applied. I received an application and my child's application was put into a lottery. After winning the lottery my first child got the scholarship.

Parents became involved when the legislation was in a court battle the minute it went info effect. The state of Ohio was being sued by the ACLU and the teachers union, arguing it was unconstitutional.

Parents like me and others knew that parental choice of schools is a good thing and we were not going to be pushed around - we were standing up for our rights as parents
We went all the way to the United States Supreme Court.
AND WE WON!!!

This program is constitutional and can be duplicated in your state.

You need to find a group of like thinkers in your area. I have websites that would give you more info. You will find common parents who believe like you. There are National Foundations which educate and promote the School Choice movement.
Check out Florida,Miuwaukee Wisconsisn, Washinton DC, and many other states which are enacting similiar legislation

The best way is to do a google search on "School Choice"

The group who represented us along with the State of Ohio , at the United States Supreme Court was the Institute for Justice - www.ij.org This non pofit litigation firm came to our rescue and fought for Cleveland to keep the program and prove it was constituional. They helped to organize and empower parents .

But beware of the ( Which as strange as it seems is...) the teachers unions. They are against this.

If you choose to enter this realm of investigation.
you will be going through a lesson in civics
and you will learn the working of your state government.

I thought I knew evertything untill I got involved with this.
I learned a lot through hands- on government application.

Parental rights is the basis of the whole school choice movement.
A child is not a ward of the state once he/she enters the front door of the public school.. If I can choose my child's dentist, I can chose the school. We still live in America ..right?

School Choice lets us make our voices be heard

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page