Am I being unreasonable? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 09-11-2009, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my kid took his off daily for the first 6 months last year... teacher said if there was a fire drill he had to go out in sockfeet. i always send him in soft indoor shoes, they switch to sturdy outdoor boots for outdoor play. as for nap, some kids nap in undies only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempmama View Post
Yes, it's normal in most preschools. My kids have been to 4 now, 3 keep shoes on, 1 off. To be honest the one that takes them off is a pain. We get there and have enough to do without taking off shoes(the teachers remind us every farking day we walk in, I KNOW, LADY, THE BOOTS ARE COMING OFF. JUST GIVE ME A SECOND HERE.), and it's hard enough to get him out of there(he loves it, never wants to leave) without also putting shoes on. I was usually carrying the baby on one hip last year while trying to do this, and I don't see the harm in leaving shoes on all day if they are sweeping at the end of the schoolday anyhow. When I go to work I leave my shoes on, and would think it kind of odd to expect to take them off each day.

eta: what about special shoes you change him into there? Softer ones? I know at the preschools they went to that DID leave shoes on, in bad weather they would change out of their winter boots into "indoor shoes," and put the boots back on if they were going outside.
#62 of 83 Old 09-12-2009, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm horrified that cornmeal is being used to fill an entire sand pit. Ick, on many levels. I probably wouldn't send a child to that school because of that and I definitely couldn't teach there. I refuse to use food as a play material. I think playdough is my only exception. And you can't add water to cornmeal. You lose out on the whole experience of wet sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
I just wanted to chime in and say that this is not the norm around here. I've been associated with 3 different preschools and none required the kids to leave their shoes on all day. In fact one required the kids to remove their shoes and have slippers for indoors. We're in the South. The kids just go outside in their socks or slippers or barefoot in case of fire drills.
I live in the same town you do and am now a teacher in a part-time, non-licensed program. I was also a Head Start teacher in a licensed program. There is NOTHING in the NC health codes that requires a child (or adult to keep his/her shoes on. I've only taught in shoe-optional programs. Not a deal breaker for me, but although schools are public places they are different than places like the mall. Schools for young children are extensions of the home.
#63 of 83 Old 09-12-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanwinds View Post
Well, I have to agree with the OP. My children would not ever go to a preschool where they were required to keep their shoes on all day long. I just don't think it is healthy for little (or big) feet.

I taught preschool for years and I never wore shoes in the classroom. If the children wanted to wear their shoes, I didn't have a problem with it, but most of them took their shoes off as soon as they came in my room. We would even go outside barefoot. Now, granted, this was south Florida, so I didn't have to worry about winter boots. Then again, even when I taught in Alaksa, I just had a pair of slip-ons to go to the playground; inside I was barefoot.

Firedrills were never a problem because our "safe spot" was across the playground, so we didn't really need shoes.
Seriously? So when you go to your job you insist you be allowed to take your shoes off? That is ridiculous. Millions of people live every day with shoes on and they are just fine. If a child goes to school they have to keep shoes on all day. I truly do not see the big deal (and I DO have a child with sensory issues and I had to go to 3 different stores just to find a pair she would wear to preschool this year)

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#64 of 83 Old 09-12-2009, 07:28 PM

We have had all different rules about shoes at different places. One was always shoes on. One was outdoor shoes off and indoor slippers/soft shoes on while indoors. Another was shoes off indoors, but had to be velcro or slip on. Another was shoes off indoors with no restrictions on style, but assumed that the kids would put their own on if possible before going outside. Probably depends on the individual center, kids and weather IMHO. DD and I both prefer bare feet, but I can see how it is a safety/insurance/fire risk.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#65 of 83 Old 09-12-2009, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
I live in the same town you do and am now a teacher in a part-time, non-licensed program. I was also a Head Start teacher in a licensed program. There is NOTHING in the NC health codes that requires a child (or adult to keep his/her shoes on. I've only taught in shoe-optional programs. Not a deal breaker for me, but although schools are public places they are different than places like the mall. Schools for young children are extensions of the home.

I wonder if we just live in a barefoot-friendly place here, Polliwog? Actually, I'm pretty sure that the public schools (like elementary and up) are not shoes-off places, but I've never heard of that in preschool around here, actually. The private school my kids go to also allows kids to run around outside with their shoes and shirts off if the temp is above a certain number (70s, I think). It could be that I pick shoes-free places! Their dance place also doesn't care if they wear shoes (at least in movement classes, including in the recital). My kids are very shoe-free.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#66 of 83 Old 09-18-2009, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

We got our two pairs of Lands End shoes this week, and DS loves them both! They are super breathable, and the color isn't *too* bright. The Mary Jane style, really doesn't look like a girl's shoe at all, and now that we have two pair, I can rotate them every other day to give one pair a chance to dry out a bit more.

Apparently, he has been taking his own shoes off at school lately during the day anyway. : I am so happy we found something that works!!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#67 of 83 Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 AM
crl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
We got our two pairs of Lands End shoes this week, and DS loves them both! They are super breathable, and the color isn't *too* bright. The Mary Jane style, really doesn't look like a girl's shoe at all, and now that we have two pair, I can rotate them every other day to give one pair a chance to dry out a bit more.

Apparently, he has been taking his own shoes off at school lately during the day anyway. : I am so happy we found something that works!!
Hooray!
#68 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 AM

Every daycare and pre-school I know of requires some sort of indoor shoe. Ds is 3.5 and he still wears Robeez. But we're Canadian, and I know there have been big debates here about shoes off or on inside the house with Canadians always leaning to shoes off, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'd be kind of grossed out by babies crawling around on a floor at daycare that had been walked all over in outside shoes. Unless these teachers are doing heavy-duty cleaning all the time, which seems like a PITA.
#69 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 12:43 AM

Shoes ON is normal. I've worked in several places and NONE has been shoes off indoors. I think it may even be a health dept. thing.

However, leaving STUFF in them is gross and unacceptable. We always had/helped them shake junk out of the shoes.

And winter boots on all day?! NO way. EVERYWHERE I have worked at has had children change into indoor shoes. Not only is it uncomfortable and messy, but here it gets cold enough we stay in and do indoor gym activities for a lot of the winter (below zero cold) and it's nearly impossible to have fun with that in a pair of boots.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#70 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Seriously? So when you go to your job you insist you be allowed to take your shoes off? That is ridiculous. Millions of people live every day with shoes on and they are just fine. If a child goes to school they have to keep shoes on all day. I truly do not see the big deal (and I DO have a child with sensory issues and I had to go to 3 different stores just to find a pair she would wear to preschool this year)
Sorry you think it is ridiculous, but I guess that's why it's so great being allowed your own opinion.

Yes, every job I have had for the last eight years, I have usually done barefoot (teacher and librarian.) Did I say anything about insisting in my last post? Not sure where you got that from?

And, yes, millions of people wear shoes all day and millions of people suffer from foot, leg, and back problems. Google it.

Mama to: turtle 6August01 and frog 28May05 and ttc#3
#71 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
Shoes ON is normal. I've worked in several places and NONE has been shoes off indoors. I think it may even be a health dept. thing.

However, leaving STUFF in them is gross and unacceptable. We always had/helped them shake junk out of the shoes.

And winter boots on all day?! NO way. EVERYWHERE I have worked at has had children change into indoor shoes. Not only is it uncomfortable and messy, but here it gets cold enough we stay in and do indoor gym activities for a lot of the winter (below zero cold) and it's nearly impossible to have fun with that in a pair of boots.

I've worked for several companies, and other than food service places, I've been alloweed to take my shoes off. I can't imagine having to have shoes on all day. I would guess that it is actually the norm around the world to NOT have shoes on.
#72 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, every job I have had for the last eight years, I have usually done barefoot (teacher and librarian.)
Did you do those jobs from your home? Or did you work in public buildings?

I'm pretty sure that "shoes on" is a health code kind of thing.
#73 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
I've never had to insist. Most people take theri shoes off for part of the day. I don't know of anyone who leaves their shoes on the entire time they're working (food service excluded). Our sunday school teachers take their shoes off.
#74 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL83 View Post

I'm sure it is NOT a health code thing. Except for food service industries (and hospitals, I guess - never worked in one). Feet are actually proven to be cleaner than hands, in general.

I've worked in several jobs (all public buildings, never from home) and like i said earlier, I've always taken my shoes off, at least for part of the day. I don't know of anyone who left their shoes on, actually. In big companies and little ones. I think you'd be surprised how many people take their shoes off at work.
#75 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL83 View Post

No, not from home...not even all in the same state.

I taught at two schools, one in Alaska and one in Florida. The librarian one is here in California.

If I recall correctly, the "shoes on" thing is not mandated by any health codes. Like Vbactivist stated, unless it is in food service or health care, I can't imagine it being against any health code.

#76 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM

Medical articles saying how barefeet are healthier...

http://barefooters.org/medicine/

Barefeet and OHSA...

http://barefooters.org/osha.html

#77 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM

I doubt the shoes on policy is a health code thing at the daycare either. I am sure it has more to do with not having time to take off and put on every childs shoes all day long.
#78 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Medical articles saying how barefeet are healthier...

http://barefooters.org/medicine/

Barefeet and OHSA...

http://barefooters.org/osha.html
barefeet are good
#79 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:37 PM

one tiem i was talking to a friend of mine who was a manicurist. she said that people always think the pedicures are grosser than manicures, when it is actually teh opposite. People don't pick their noses or teeth with their feet....
#80 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I'm horrified that cornmeal is being used to fill an entire sand pit. Ick, on many levels. I probably wouldn't send a child to that school because of that and I definitely couldn't teach there. I refuse to use food as a play material. I think playdough is my only exception. And you can't add water to cornmeal. You lose out on the whole experience of wet sand.

I agree with the bolded. Waht a waste of food
#81 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
barefeet are good

#82 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I agree that it is kind of weird, and it definitely makes me a little squeamish. I do think that food can be a play material, but not cornmeal in the sandbox. That one is a bit over the top.

However, I do not have a choice in where to send DS at all. I am a low income single mama and this center is 100% free for me. It is a licensed, accredited center that has a waiting list that is over 3 years long. People are literally clamoring to get in, and the kids have a proven track record of being extremely well prepared for kindy, so this is where he has to go for now. I do have him on a waiting list for a better school that is also free for low income mamas, but he can't get in there until next fall.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#83 of 83 Old 09-25-2009, 11:52 PM

About the smelly feet, yeah it gets worse. My DH and MIL both have feet like that. Apparently it's common in their family. They get so bad that I can smell his feet at times if he's under the covers, and I'm on top of the bed. FWIW, though, MIL goes barefoot as much as possible. DH wears shoes from the time he steps out of the shower until he goes to bed. Wearing shoes or not does not seem to have any effect at all on the smell of their feet.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page