Normal amount of homework for kindergarten? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we've only been in 1 week, but so far none, only a couple of handouts for parents promoting literacy., nothing required. I require my son to practise reading 2 books/day, they are the first of the bob book phonics books, this takes maybe 5 minutes, then we (I) read stories for fun.
#32 of 59 Old 09-13-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
which would make me all the more willing to work with her as long as it takes, to help cement that.

i do have other children too.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#33 of 59 Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
and a half hour, even broken up into chunks is too much to spend helping one on homework?
#34 of 59 Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I think most of us have more than one child... and jobs and responsibilities.
If your LO is struggling, you need to make time to help her. Not only will it make it harder/more stressful for your child, but if she's behind all/most the other kids, it makes it harder for the teacher and the class as a whole.
No, I'm not saying that parents should do the teachers job, but IMO- it is our job to teach our kids also

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#35 of 59 Old 09-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
sorry, but i meant it is supposed to be that long... but with DSD it takes twice as long b/c she doesnt even know her whole alphabet. she forgets the letters all the time.
Have you looked into support services within your school district? Maybe some after school tutoring or something? I see from your signature that your daughter must be about 6. If she is having difficulty remembering the alphabet maybe the school district can help you so she doesn't fall behind.

I think one problem with all the homework angst is that so many kids are being held back these days. Kids are more or less having the same levels of work and same levels of expectations that we did when we went to school. It is just that we were younger. I was 4 in kindergarten. My sons are almost 6 in kindergarten.

I actually don't mind the homework at all. It isn't excessive, at least in our district, and it helps us keep track of exactly what they are learning and how they are doing. Simply observing my children doing their work and seeing how they are thinking about things and where they excel and where they stumble has been very imformative. I also don't see it as the teachers job to do everything. I very much view their education as a partnership between the schools, teachers, my child and my husband and myself.

Good luck. I hope the homework stops being so onerous.

WAHM to three, all natural, organic and sports-obsessed boys:. MDC7 for 7% off at www.cottontailbaby.com or www.mamaclothonline.com for all your cloth diapering and natural family living needs:
#36 of 59 Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 PM

The standard expectation for the kid's school for K students is to read approx. 3-5 pages of story out loud to a parent each night, plus do about 4 special projects spread throughout the year. Probably took about 10 minutes total each night. If they don't finish work in class due to inattention or such (e.g. playing instead of working, spending 30 minutes in the restroom) then that work is sent home to be completed.

In 1st grade each child has a page of math, a spelling assignment, and a reading assignment each night and its supposed to take 20-30 minutes. They add about 6 special projects/display boards/oral reports spread throughout the year as well, most of which we do on weeekends.
#37 of 59 Old 09-14-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
and a half hour, even broken up into chunks is too much to spend helping one on homework?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandynee22 View Post
I think most of us have more than one child... and jobs and responsibilities.
If your LO is struggling, you need to make time to help her. Not only will it make it harder/more stressful for your child, but if she's behind all/most the other kids, it makes it harder for the teacher and the class as a whole.
No, I'm not saying that parents should do the teachers job, but IMO- it is our job to teach our kids also
Quote:
Originally Posted by My3guys View Post
Have you looked into support services within your school district? Maybe some after school tutoring or something? I see from your signature that your daughter must be about 6. If she is having difficulty remembering the alphabet maybe the school district can help you so she doesn't fall behind.

I think one problem with all the homework angst is that so many kids are being held back these days. Kids are more or less having the same levels of work and same levels of expectations that we did when we went to school. It is just that we were younger. I was 4 in kindergarten. My sons are almost 6 in kindergarten.

I actually don't mind the homework at all. It isn't excessive, at least in our district, and it helps us keep track of exactly what they are learning and how they are doing. Simply observing my children doing their work and seeing how they are thinking about things and where they excel and where they stumble has been very imformative. I also don't see it as the teachers job to do everything. I very much view their education as a partnership between the schools, teachers, my child and my husband and myself.

Good luck. I hope the homework stops being so onerous.

i think i mentioned that i am disabled.

the teacher says DSD is advanced compared to her classmates.

i didnt ask to be attacked b/c i think i dont need to help my child. i asked if other people have kids with this much homework. and how they felt about it. i like doing it with her. she is bright. i just thought the teacher wasnt judging her students abilties right. if DSD is advanced compared to her classmates, i wonder how they are dealing with it? kwim? DSD is 5.5yo. i have been having her dad do it with her b/c i am 8 months preg and need my rest. and he thinks it is too much too.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#38 of 59 Old 09-14-2009, 03:31 PM

We're only going into our second week now, too, but so far his homework has been to read at least 15 minutes a day with someone (that is, for us to read to him, since he isn't reading yet), practice counting to 20 whenever he gets the chance (he can count to 12 reliably right now - after that, sometimes he counts correctly, sometimes not), and review the rules for riding safely on the bus. Oh yes, and to be sure to get outside and play every day while the weather is still nice.

All-in-all, the homework level we're seeing seems completely appropriate and doable to me. I know there will be math worksheets and a math journal to make entries in, soon, so we'll see if my tune changes then, but so far the homework is fine.
#39 of 59 Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM

My kids attend a montessori school and they do not have homework in the kindergarten year which is the last year of the "primary" program at the montessori. The only things that are asked of that age group is when there is a special project coming up like the spring festival or something -- we made a poster together. But, no homework at kindergarten. I don't think i would be a big fan of homework at that age. DD is in first grade and she is having a hard enough time with it now.
amy

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

#40 of 59 Old 09-16-2009, 12:50 PM

No homework in Kindergarten. We are supposed to read every day, but we do that any way. Maybe a crafty time project 2 x a year.
#41 of 59 Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 PM

DD is a K in a K-3rd grade class. There is no homework for anyone!
#42 of 59 Old 09-16-2009, 02:25 PM

None. At our school there's no homework until 3rd grade. (Except that they ask that you read with/to your child every night).
#43 of 59 Old 09-16-2009, 02:44 PM

The rule for DD school is no more than 10 mintues per age level so a first grader would get 10 mintues a day a fifth grader 50 mintues ect.. DD did have HW in kindergarden it typically took us about 5 mintues to do.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#44 of 59 Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 PM

My son is getting a "Home Fun" packet every Monday that is turned in on Friday. It has usually 1-3 sheets per day plus will say "read for 20 minutes" on every day's assignment. The sheets compliment what the class is doing for the week. In addition, he has a monthly calendar with activities each day and you are to pick two assignements per week. This week he also brought home a keep book, so he has to read it 5 times to someone. If he is in a cooperative mode, he can finish a day's sheets in 5 minutes. But, as can often be the case, he is getting tired and doesn't really want to do it, it can stretch out.

I was feeling resentful of it at first because we do not get home until 6 and then my son is tired out and ready for bed shortly after 8. We have to fit in eating dinner as a family (plus making dinner!) and soccer once a week, plus any other activity we decide to do (like eating with friends).

I'm feeling a little better about it, especially since he is going to try and do each day's at his afterschool care. They have time that you can work on homework, if you'd like. This will allow us to just go over it with him at home and stay engaged in what's going on in class. We'll still have the calendar activities to do and reading.

I volunteered in the classroom and I can definitely see why they need the parents to sit with the kids 1:1 - there are 27 kids in my son's class and only 1 teacher. I think it is really going to help the kids to have their parents spend 10 minutes a night reinforcing the concepts from the class.
#45 of 59 Old 09-16-2009, 11:04 PM

My son is in a spanish immersion school and maybe that's why but so far no homework. I'd honestly be pissed if there were ANY.

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#46 of 59 Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
sorry, but i meant it is supposed to be that long... but with DSD it takes twice as long b/c she doesnt even know her whole alphabet. she forgets the letters all the time.
I personally am appalled at the way kindergarteners are doing what was "first grade work" when I was little. Some kids are just NOT READY to read or write yet!

10 minutes per grade, with 5 for kindergarten, does sound about right to me (if there must be homework at all- personally I think kids shouldn't have homework at all until middle school.)

As for the half hour a night for a 5yo, when it "should be" 15 minutes, I think a talk with the teacher is in order. Let him/her know that the homework is taking too long and putting too much stress on DD. See if s/he has any suggestions- maybe s/he can give your DD less work, maybe you can do what you can in 15 minuts and not complete the rest, etc.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#47 of 59 Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

we just got a note today saying that the teacher is adding a third type of homework involving flash cards. so that makes the literacy packet brought home on mon that has to be done by wed, the 2 pages of poem stuff that is sent home on mon to be done by the next mon, and now flash cards that have to be done in the same time frame.

for the record. DSD's class has 12 students to one teacher.

i understand wanting us to work with her too but i really think this is too much. we will be saying something to her.

#48 of 59 Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 PM

Our kids have a planner that goes home every night.. and in the back... is a bunch of homework for the first 9 weeks. Basically, they have a small assignment Monday-Thursday...and are expected to read (or be read) 25 books in 9 weeks.

Monday and Tuesday are usually handwriting practice. So write these words, your name, numbers, etc. Usually one page.

Wednesday is usually something math related, that doesn't have a paper attached (or at least hasn't as of yet). Or recognizing sight words.

Thursday is always "draw a picture" illustrating a scene from a book your parents read to you. Then they rate the book either "Liked It", "It was O.K.", or "Didn't Like It."

Takes about 15 miinutes each day... if that.

The planners stay with the teacher over the weekend, and then we get them back on Monday.

Note DS2 is in a different school... Montessori magnet...and is in a PK3, PK4, and K5 classroom. The only "homework" is to read to your child.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#49 of 59 Old 09-22-2009, 02:31 PM

I taught full-day Kg for 6 years and two different private schools (Quaker). As a rule, there was no homework in Kg. All we asked was that parents and children spend 20-30 minutes each day reading together (parent to child or child to parent if appropriate). In the second half of the year I sent home a book each week. These were the books kids were reading in class ("little readers" for new readers or more advanced stuff for the advanced readers). we encouraged kids to read their books to someone at home, but it was not required.

I do not think there should be homework in Kg. But, I recognize that the public schools are under a lot of pressure to demonstrate that the kids are learning, and I could see how some would rely on kg homework to reinforce things taught in class. Does it help? I have no idea...

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#50 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter hasn't brought any homework back with her yet. As it is, I get 30 - 45 minutes with my girls after they are off the bus before they are so tired that I need to feed them and get them to bed if they haven't passed out on their own first.

They're in Pre-K & Kindergarten for full days, and they are gone 8 hours from the time that they catch the bus in the AM until they are dropped off in the PM. I don't see how on Earth I could expect any more out of them.

If my kindergartener was only going a half-day, it might make sense to go over what she learned...

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#51 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 AM

There is no homework in kindergarten here.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#52 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 11:12 AM

Did you talk to the teacher? How did it go?

In our school, we have maximum time limits to spend on homework in each grade (10 minutes for 1st grade....20 for second....). Dd didn't attend K, but it would have to be 10 minutes or less of homework. If the homework isn't finished in that time, homework time is still over. Teachers will adjust homework for children who can not finish in the time allotted. I'd go with that approach---ask the teacher "how long should this take?", and then work on getting homework tailored for my dc to spend that amt of time.
#53 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 AM

When my sons were in kindy (they're now in 1st and 2nd), they'd get a weekly homework packet, which boiled down to about 20-30 minutes of work each night, plus their literacy packets which was at least 2 books to read each night. That was for half-day kindy.
#54 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 12:08 PM

We get a monthly page with an assignment (counting silverware when setting the table and writing the number of each type of utensil, drawing 2 things that start with Y, etc) for each night, that we are then supposed to write a letter to the teacher at the end of the month about which assignments were challenging, etc.

So far we haven't done any of them; we do plenty of our own activities in the evenings like story time and playing games together, and the homework for Kindergarteners issue is one of the reasons we're considering pulling her out and homeschooling her.
#55 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
District policy is 10 minutes per grade. DS is in kindergarten and brought home a calendar for the month of September. He needs to choose two activities a week (so a total of eight for this month.) It's really simple stuff- tell the names of five classmates, draw a picture of your teacher and tell something about her, write your phone number, etc. My son is still learning letters and doesn't recognize any numbers so we skip over a lot of that stuff. We practice that type of stuff in different ways.

And we're supposed to read for about 15 minutes but we usually read way more than that each nigh.
#56 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
i understand wanting us to work with her too but i really think this is too much. we will be saying something to her.
Good for you! I don't think you should hesitate to discuss homework with your child's teacher. I know it's hard, but so much of what is sent home is just busywork. I'll be having a similar conversation with my older kids' teachers at conferences tomorrow

FWIW, my youngest is in kindy this year and hasn't had any homework yet.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#57 of 59 Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 PM

from a parent and teacher's perspective (K at that...)

my district policy is hw in every grade. If it were up to me, all we'd do is reading HW (reading together) and experience based hw. but not my choice.

half of the parents disregarded the fact that we had hw and didn't do it.

half of my parents sent a note in every other day clamoring for more worksheet type hw, to which I'd write back that we do a lot of academics during the 7 hour day and I'd really love if they had more time to dramatic play, build with blocks, read informally, and just PLAY at home. If they really insisted, I'd go out and buy a workbook and send it home.

It really irks me to hear "the teacher just wants us to do her job." eeek. parents are the child's first teacher, and the child's lifelong teacher. Yes, it is our job as parents to ultimately control and direct our child's education. At the VERY least, at any given moment it is a collaboration between teachers and parents.
#58 of 59 Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 AM

Dear Teacher:

I know that worksheets really have no place in the classroom, so thank you for sending them home. I would like to point out, however, that while they are a distraction to real learning in the classroom, they are also a distraction at home.

Let's just agree to leave them out of both places. Thank you for your consideration.

Signed,
Parent
#59 of 59 Old 09-24-2009, 12:16 PM

DD gets a weekly packet of homework. Each night (except friday, that is when she turns it in) she has a math worksheet, a letter worksheet, and a reading log that we must sign saying that we read to her for 15 minutes. It takes us no more than 25 minutes to do it all (including the 15 minutes of reading).

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page