what do school lunches look like at your school? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son eats lunch at school 3 days a week, but other than wanting me to cut his sandwiches in cool shapes b/c his best buddy gets them that way I have no idea what the other kids bring. He's only in preschool though. I typically send a turkey and swiss sandwich with mustard on whole wheat cut into a dinosaur shape , steamed cauliflower/carrots or butternut squash soup, snap pea crisps, and a fruit (he loves cantelope, strawberries, grapes...), and a box of organic milk or probugs kefir. I might throw in 2 newman O's on special days, but he usually doesn't eat them if I do and they are still there to eat in the car after school.

They have a lunch program that most of the older kids use...it seems relatively healthy (it's a small private school that goes from toddler Montessori to grade 6)

This week it is
Chicken and Dumplings, steamed carrots, grapes
Fish sandwich on whole wheat, Sunchips, Carrot and raisin salad
Salisbury Steak, mashed potatoes, veggies, grapes
Chicken Tenders, Mac and Cheese, snap peas (appears to be the worst meal of the month)
Chili, salad, banana, brownie (apparently they have desert on Fridays)

Mom to a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a cuddly little newborn
#32 of 40 Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
I am so shocked at the amount of schools that allow peanut butter. I know that almost all of the schools around here are peanut free, and most are nut free as well. I wish I could pack DS a PB sandwich occasionally. He won't eat Sunbutter, and I hate soynut butter, so I won't buy it to try it out on him.
Our particular school discourages sending in peanuts and tree nuts, but hasn't outright banned it because the school board is not okay with that.

I don't send in peanut/tree nut items, but 2 of my kids have peanut and tree nut allergies, so go figure there.
#33 of 40 Old 11-08-2009, 12:45 AM

Up until this year ours was peanut free because of a child that had ana reactions to it. Now that he is in High School they have brought it back even though there are still kids, including my dd, who are peanut reactive and possibly ana allergic .

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#34 of 40 Old 11-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Our daycare prefers nut-free stuff and you HAVE to label it if you do send it so they don't let it get near certain kids.

Most elementary schools here have "allergy tables" and the kids with nut, etc allergies + anyone who brings an allergy-free lunch sits together, and all the nut, egg, etc eating kids sit at another table.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#35 of 40 Old 11-08-2009, 03:40 PM

The pre K I work for is private, so we have a caterer, and I am not thrilled with what they serve. I think public school food is better.

Last week we had turkey wraps (turkey and cheese in a tortilla) with green beans and a canned fruit.

Fish sticks, mac and cheese and canned fruit.

Chicken fingers, peas and canned fruit.

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and canned fruit.

Grilled cheese, tomato soup and canned fruit.

Snacks are goldfish crackers, chocolate chip granola bars, birthday cake, cookies, crackers, etc.

Don't get me started on breakfast.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#36 of 40 Old 12-04-2009, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So there ARE schools out there doing WW bread! and I'm assuming on the same federal program my kid's school is on for the most part...

That is probably the biggest thing I wish they would change on his lunch menu, all the white dinner rolls and white buns to whole-wheat.

When they sent out the lunch survey, I also pointed out the fact that "breaded chicken tenders" "breaded chicken nuggets" and "breaded chicken patty" is NOT variety (I remember when they attempted some non-breaded chicken products, they were pretty unappetizing and most of the kids hated them, I worked with elementary and was in the lunchroom every day back then.)

They probably have "breaded something" be it fish or chicken 3 lunches out of the month at least. The only good thing I have to say about it is at least it is not FRIED on top of it.

They have taken french fries and those triangle hashbrowns off the menu.

They do have at least one fresh fruit or veg *almost* every day. Lots of times 2 or 3 if you include the snack (preschool) (I actually scanned his menu once for this reason, to see how much of the stuff was fresh and what was not. I was reasonably impressed, given budget.) So yeah they get canned fruit and veg, but they also get fresh broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce salad, celery, carrots, apples, bananas, oranges, even kiwi. (He's preschool. I'm pretty sure I've seen grapes in the regular lunchroom, worried about choking for little kids I suppose.)
Could they do some more variety? yeah. Is it possible with budget concerns and the area I live in seasonally? Probably not really.
Though I *would* like to see something where maybe they tried to get in a little extra variety by doing a "try it" day every so often or something. Maybe even once a week since it's preschool, under the theory that they NEED a lot of exposures. Since it's a "sample" you don't need to serve (or buy!) as much of it. genius, pure genius lol.

Yeah whenever I was in the lunchroom or on a field trip, I saw my share of UTTER CRAP lunches. My favorites were the 20 oz MT. Dew bottles. I hope they have at least banned soda by now......my kid when he does go to school will be one asking for what his friends have too, I can see it now....*sigh*
Lunchables. But I can say for those at least they have something resembling protein. What's the nutritional value of cheetos, Mt. Dew, and a Snickers??

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#37 of 40 Old 12-04-2009, 07:18 AM

Here is what is on the menu this week. Students bring lunch twice a week, three times a week there is a hot lunch served.
Rice with chicken and burdock root
Rice with seaweed and kelp

Soup with pork, carrots, potatoes, daikon radish, burdock root, leeks

seasoned fish fried with corn starch (so not breaded and fried, just dipped in corn starch and fried)

spinach and nappa cabbage seasoned with sesame seeds

banana

2. rice with seaweed
roasted chicken
lettuce and cabbage slaw
salad of burdock root and carrots and cucumber (mayo dressing)
apple
milk

rice
hamburger with demi glase sauce
cabbage, carrot and lettuce salad
sweet potato, carrot, corn, green peas salad (mayo dressing)
cherry tomatoes
tangerine

There are no choices, children are encouraged to eat everything served.

Barley tea is served everyday. Each child brings their own place mat, cup, fork and spoon, chopsticks and wet washcloth.

Kathryn
#38 of 40 Old 12-09-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
So there ARE schools out there doing WW bread! and I'm assuming on the same federal program my kid's school is on for the most part...
Some public schools have amazing cooks like mine. She bakes the bread herself and makes as much food from local ingredients and from scratch as she can manage. We have 2 greenhouses at school--one that she uses for her own needs in the kitchen and one that the students use in class to grow more veggies that are either sold or used in the school lunches. Our school board supports her and encourages her to spend more money if needed to buy local.
#39 of 40 Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 AM

I was doing a lot of variety in ds' lunch until he told me that other kids were teasing him about his "little" lunchbox. (It is the locknlock lunch set).. since that happened he now prefers a water bottle, a sandwich of sometype and a fruit. Sandwiches do not fit well in this locknlock set unless I cut it into strips. Kind of hoping he gets past this. I love that set!
#40 of 40 Old 12-10-2009, 04:44 PM

DD usually takes a PB&J sandwich, a fruit, maybe applesauce (she has snack and lunch) a granola bar, I used to send soy yogurt but she wasn't eating it. Maybe some nuts or crackers and two Lemonaid Trader Joe juice boxes.

I also had to pack and emergency lunch and keep it in her cubby. Apparenlty I need a doctors note for her to not be served dairy at school. My word that she is allergic is not good enough.. becuase they everyone would be demanding something other than milk to drink. I could get her a note.. but I resent the fact that as her mother my word is not good enough.. so I just packed an emergency lunch and it's in her cubby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page