Writing names on the board for discipline. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 03-01-2004, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I repeat anything already said...

I just don't agree with any kind of classroom discipline that humiliates students in front of their friends. Period. I taught for six years before DD was born and I was not sarcastic to students, I did not yell at them, I did not put names on the board, I did not call on students when I knew they were goofing off and not paying attention. Those things accomplish nothing other than making the kids resentful. It makes the kids with discipline problems think that their teacher can't stand them. How on earth can a teacher be effective with a student who feels disliked?

Discipline problems need to be handled with some sensitivity. It's best for a teacher to discuss a child's problems with him privately. That shows respect for the child and helps the child feel that the teacher believes that he can do better.

As far as what happened to your DD, my goodness, she just spilled something. That's a discipline problem? Why didn't the teacher just ask her to get a paper towel and wipe it up?
#62 of 63 Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab View Post

Give her some facts regarding positive discipline that produces results. Take in some printed material (or send in) that gives alternatives to writing names on the board.

Please do not do this. While I disagree with all my being to the humiliation as punishment tactic, the teacher is still a trained professional. There is little that is more insulting than having someone bring you printed material telling you how to do your job better. You wouldn't do that to your hair-stylist, your doctor, your lawyer, your plumber, or any other trained professional that you work with. Please don't do it to your children's teacher. There is only the slimmest of slim chances that it will do anything but make her defensive and dig in even more on her discipline policy, carefully researched and presented studies be damned. 

If you want to change the policy, first make sure it actually is the written policy. If it is, then get together a group of parents and talk to the principal, superintendent, or board. Bring it up as an overarching change and not as a "this one teacher is doing her job badly". If it's a small school, you might not be able to switch teachers, and if it's a school-wide policy, then switching might not help. The other option is to get your other child an IEP, which the teacher are supposed to follow, and you have a lot more grounds to raise hell about it if they don't. 

saanmilv likes this.
#63 of 63 Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 PM

My mother is a retired high school English teacher. She taught for more than 30 years in a few different schools, about 20 years in some pretty tough NYC high schools. She says she has never had to write student's names on the board or humiliate them (at least not intentionally). She says that insecure, new teachers with poor classroom management skills resort to this kind of thing, and it usually backfires. It gets in the way of learning. She said she started out the year by making her expectations clear, telling the kids they were lucky to be in her class because she was one of the best teachers they would ever have (may or may not be true) and that she would kick them out of the class if they misbehaved. She would send kids to the dean for disruptive/egregious behaviors, and deal with problems quickly as they arose. She had a reputation for being tough but fair- I think that helped her.

When I was in school I sometimes had teachers who were unnecessarily mean and/or unfair in their discipline tactics, and my mother would talk to them first, then the principal. Usually she got them to see her perspective, and there would be change on both sides. My sister and I were good kids, but not perfect. I think the fact that she was a teacher really helped her case. I actually hated when she talked to my teacher, it made me even more embarrassed- so I tried to keep her out of my school issues. I actually never had a problem until 6th grade, when I had a pretty hateful teacher. He tried to hard to be funny and buddy-buddy with the students, but his humor was mean and sarcastic and singled certain kids out, and he played favorites in a big way (I was not a favorite)- he liked the "cool" kids.

Now my mother is substitute teaching in a rural K-12 school and she is surprised by the discipline problems this school has. She frequently gets asked to help new teachers with classroom management.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page