Does anyone's school do Boxtops for Education? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any good tips on how to get more people to participate?
#2 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 05:04 PM

Our schools do it, but I don't work on it.

I participate a bit. To be honest, I don't buy much that is in the program as I tend to buy almost all store brands. But frequent reminders help me to cut off the labels if I do happen to have an item that qualifies. Otherwise, I tend to forget. So, I'd say to make sure the program is mentioned in the school newsletters on a regular basis.

Please, please, please, don't put pressure on the kids with "incentives."
#3 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
Our schools do it, but I don't work on it.

Please, please, please, don't put pressure on the kids with "incentives."
Agreed!

At my son's school, the class that collects the most box tops each sememester gets a prize (a $50 gift certificate to Borders for the teacher and 2 oreo cookies for each kid). My son's class won this semester, so I forsee more pressure from him to buy Box Top products in the future. I've found myself buying a Box Top product over the brand I normally buy two times. The second time I realized I was spending $.50 more for a package of juice boxes than I would have if I had bought our normal brand, and the school would be getting $.10 of that. They would have been better off with the extra $.50 I would have saved by going with the cheaper brand.

The way my son's class won, though, I believe was through the contests they run on the box top site. From what I understand, you can submit an entry daily to win bonus boxtops. Maybe you could encourage parents to sign up for these contests. Also, our school hands out a worksheet that you can tape your boxtops to. It makes it easier to keep track of them.
#4 of 19 Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Our school does have incentives, but I think it's something like the coordinator bakes cookies for the class with the most. I'm not really even sure.

I think that is a good point to put in more reminders. I'm pretty good about cutting out boxtops but my DH will throw them out. So I'm sure a lot of others do too.
#5 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 AM

I found that, when dd's school sent home an 8x11" colored paper each month with little boxes to tape in box tops, we sent them in more. They looked something like this. After a month or two of that, we had chopped up all of the ziploc baggie containers, though !
#6 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 12:22 AM

We do box tops here too. The problem is, with 3 kiddos in school even if I send in every single box top I get my hands on, it still seems like I am sending in very few with each child. I try to even it out, you get one this week, you get one next week, you got one last week but it doesn't always come out even.
#7 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 01:29 AM

the coordinator at DD's school sent a boxtop blown up to 8 1/2x11; I've heard so many people say, "oh, THAT's what I'm supposed to be looking for!"

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#8 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
the coordinator at DD's school sent a boxtop blown up to 8 1/2x11; I've heard so many people say, "oh, THAT's what I'm supposed to be looking for!"
Great idea also I can see how the sheet to tape them on would help. Our drawer is overrun with them and every once in a while we make it a project to sort those from the labels for education from Campbell's and turn them in.

I definitely agree with the pp about skipping the incentives at my dc's school it seems there are constant opportunities for children to be left out of rewards that are not within their control of earning in the first place. Like 1/2 the class gets a pizza party while the other 1/2 misses out because no one read to them so they get dinged twice, once on missing the benefits and fun of being read to at home and then again when they miss out on the pizza and fun at school.
#9 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The school district I work for does. Some schools are more 'into' it than others. One school just has a huge box at the front office that every teacher puts the squares into. Other schools take count by grade level or class. IMO it really doesn't matter who brought more etc. Im not sure if box tops are the new campbells soup labels or if they are now the same thing but I remember back in the 80's my mother saving and then taking soup labels to my school.
I am probably a horrible school employee since I dont buy much that has a box=top on it.
I do have a target card that I link to a specific school and target donates $ that way. (no its not my school or even in my district, its my old elementary school. A private, catholic school that I feel especially close to).

IMO there are just too many games and gimmicks these days. TOO much fund raising etc. I know schools think need money etc but sheezez.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 04:31 AM

I worked at a school that did Box Tops last year, and one of my closest friends was the teacher in charge of the program... and I never handed one in. Not because I didn't want to, not because we didn't have the products around the house (though we didn't go out of our way to buy them), but because I just don't think of it at the moment I'm throwing a box or package away. My brain just doesn't work that way. It might not be a "don't want to" issue as much as an "I never remember until I get to school, see the sign, and think 'man, I wonder how many of those I threw away in the past week'" kind of issue.

Or maybe I'm the only spacey one.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#11 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 AM

Dd's school does this and puts A LOT of pressure on the kids. Both for these and the other program, I can't think of right now. It's on soup cans.

This program really annoys me because dd gets pressure about collecting them, but I cook almost everything from scratch, so we don't buy the processed foods that have these and we don't use paper and plastic, so I can't get them from there, either. I see them in the store, but I'm not going to compromise the way I feed my family just to get these stupid little coupons. It seems to be an unhealthy way to promote something very good. What irony! I wish all schools would come up with a healthy way to do this kind of fundraising.
#12 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 09:34 AM

I don't go out of my way to buy products specifically for the box tops, but I do send in the ones on things I normally buy. Our school makes a decent amount on the box tops, and the participation rate is pretty high.
#13 of 19 Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I think the Campbell's soup labels give products. Like if you send in X soup labels, you can get a basketball.

OK, so it sounds like the best boxtop strategy is sending home a picture of a boxtop (they are tiny and hard to find one some things) and this list to tape them on.

I certainly wouldn't expect people to change the way they eat or buy for boxtops. I'm just trying to get people who are buying the stuff anyway and throwing it away. They are on non-food things too, like toilet paper, pads, and diapers apparently. I buy Scott toilet paper all the time and I never knew they were on there.
#14 of 19 Old 12-19-2009, 04:24 PM

You know what I think would help? Send home a refrigerator magnets with a picture of the box top on it. Our school collects several things, including box tops and campbell soup labels and I cut out the list and stuck it to my fridge to remind me. But not everyone will do that, I bet if you had a premade magnet people would throw it on their refrigerators.
#15 of 19 Old 12-19-2009, 04:28 PM

the local ps does them and they wear uniforms so the kids must collect x amt to get a free casual day on a friday a month. We collect them to hand out to our neighborhood kids (we hs)
#16 of 19 Old 12-19-2009, 04:35 PM

It helps that our school sends home the little zip lock bags w/the box top label on it and we tack them up next to the fridge (using a magnet somehow, is a great idea). I don't buy a lot of stuff with the label, and it's rare to seek out something that specifically has it - but I do routinely check the packaging before breaking it down for recycling.

My kids do sometimes fight over the dang things, though, b/c they get prizes depending on how many they bring in. I end up dividing them up, and putting their initials on the back so they don't get mixed up once they are at school.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#17 of 19 Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Our former treasurer had a brilliant idea:

They put out an old fish tank that they divided down the middle. One side was for the Oregon Ducks (one of the major college teams in the state) and the other for the Oregon State Beavers (the other major college team). Kids put the boxtops in either the Ducks or the Beavers side and then they were tallied weekly. The contest ended on the "Civil War" day (the day when the Ducks played the Beavers). The kids were REALLY into that.

They also had classroom contests the month of school and are doing something in the spring.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#18 of 19 Old 12-22-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Our former treasurer had a brilliant idea:

They put out an old fish tank that they divided down the middle. One side was for the Oregon Ducks (one of the major college teams in the state) and the other for the Oregon State Beavers (the other major college team). Kids put the boxtops in either the Ducks or the Beavers side and then they were tallied weekly. The contest ended on the "Civil War" day (the day when the Ducks played the Beavers). The kids were REALLY into that.

They also had classroom contests the month of school and are doing something in the spring.

Oh my goodness, that's a great idea!

~Tammy
#19 of 19 Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Our school does. It's basically a mom project. I don buy
many of the things, but I make an effort to rip them off the box and toss them in a baggie. They get turned in once a month. I also have my mom and her friend save them. I think the parishioners ( we are in parochial school) also save. I know it seems like a hastle sometimes, but we get thousands of dollars of stuff we could never buy on our own.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page