former homeschoolers now going to school -- 2nd term - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 101 Old 04-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
<I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with you that kids on the autism spectrum don't necessariy need school, but I do think they need *something.* What that something is is a fuzzy area for me.>

Fuzzy for me too. Like I said, I do have mixed feelings about it. His IEP meeting is Monday. Currently he is under 504 as "ADHD" and getting social support with the social worker about 3x a month. She said he's doing well. He's taken a bit of a plunge though the last few months.

His S/L eval was fine, the S/L teacher even put "mature for age" because of how he speaks. We have his private psychologist involved with the school too now. But, unless the school or psychologist give him the ASD dx, he won't qualify under an IEP for such. There is always OHI and that is probably what will happen IF he goes back in the fall.

He has...no friends. He plays alone at recess He had two friends at the beginning of the year but both moved kids think he is weird, he gets too close to them, talks about topics of his interest (electronics for example).

Home is very isolating for him and that worries me. However, before spring break he was SO anxious he was licking his mouth/cheek area so much that it bled. During spring break, it healed. School is causing him so much anxiety..so..unless they help him in that area too, I'm pulling him out. He needs a break during the day, or something like your dd has...which...as far as I know...isn't an option in our area. I'm annoyed too at the fact that my ds's science teacher didn't even know he was under a 504 until JANUARY...when she said something to his main teacher that he had changed. Grrrrr! WTH!?

We have tossed around private schools...there are some good ones around here, that are open ended/child led but with some structure too..smaller classrooms..which is what he needs.

What is the private school like where you are moving??

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#92 of 101 Old 04-28-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Sneezykids;15349431 We have his private psychologist involved with the school too now. But, unless the school [B]or psychologist give him the ASD dx[/B], he won't qualify under an IEP for such. There is always OHI and that is probably what will happen IF he goes back in the fall. </QUOTE>

the ASD dx is a bit like a magic pass. What is OHI?

Quote:
kids think he is weird, he gets too close to them, talks about topics of his interest (electronics for example).
Have you guys tried a social skills class? My DD is one through a school for autism (it's an afterschool program for kids who are high functioning and mainstreamed or mostly mainstreamed at school) and it's GREAT for her. Right now they are working on conversational skills. You could ask the school social worker if she knows of any. We are paying for it (the joy of things that aren't through school and aren't covered by insurance) but I really feel like it will make a difference in her life.

Can you find any clubs for people who share his same passion/obsession? May be something that is mostly grown ups?

DD is going to a week of computer camp this summer and is very excited about it.

Quote:
What is the private school like where you are moving??
It's an open school with mixed age homerooms. There is a green house, an animal center with goats and chickens, and a dark room. The campus has 10 acres, most of which is wild with paths. The middle school and high school students have some requirements (like they all have to be in an appropriate math class) but they have a lot of freedom over which classes they take. The creative writing teacher takes her students of writing retreats a couple of times a year. When the kids aren't in one of their classes, they can do pretty much whatever they want -- go for a walk, make art, hang out with the animals etc.

My DD is super excited about it. Right now she is planning on taking math, a creative writing class, photography, science, and a language (either sign or latin).

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#93 of 101 Old 05-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
It's an open school with mixed age homerooms. There is a green house, an animal center with goats and chickens, and a dark room. The campus has 10 acres, most of which is wild with paths. The middle school and high school students have some requirements (like they all have to be in an appropriate math class) but they have a lot of freedom over which classes they take. The creative writing teacher takes her students of writing retreats a couple of times a year. When the kids aren't in one of their classes, they can do pretty much whatever they want -- go for a walk, make art, hang out with the animals etc.
Sounds like an awesome school! I'd want to go hang out too. LOL
#94 of 101 Old 05-03-2010, 06:12 PM
MJB

We've decided to go back to homeschooling my 7 yr. old next year. He's had a great year in first grade, but we are moving and he didn't get into the magnet school we wanted. I could send him to a different school but honestly, I haven't been impressed by the curriculum here in Ann Arbor where the schools are supposed to be great, and I can't imagine a faltering city school district will be better. He has gotten good grades but I don't think he's learned much. He definitely hasn't learned any math (started at a 2nd grade level and had to do busywork below his level all year); the science and social studies curriculum is weak at best; his handwriting still stinks.

My little guy is going to kindergarten next year so we'll still be school-schoolers, but unless Julian gets into our school of choice, he'll probably be home for 2nd and 3rd. Although if he drives me totally nuts at home, he might have to go to school!
#95 of 101 Old 05-04-2010, 11:45 AM

<the ASD dx is a bit like a magic pass. What is OHI?>

Yes, LOL. BUT, the MET meeting was yesterday...for an IEP..he did not qualify under ASD. So, he'll still be under 504 if he stays there. OHI is Other Health Impaired. It umbrellas a myriad of things if one doesn't get an IEP.

<Have you guys tried a social skills class? >

Per his 504 ds has seen the school social worker all year, about 3-4x a month for small group social skills work. She said he's done wonderful. He was a bit off kilter from January on...but overall doing well.

I would like to get him into more things but with all day school and twice weekly Little League games ( that last 1.5 hours!) he's pretty tired. I'm looking for something for the summer...he's really into Lego robotics.

<It's an open school with mixed age homerooms. >

This school sounds wonderful!!! I wish we were closer and could afford a school like this! There is one but the drive and cost...

Mommy to Emily (16), Cal (12) and Claire Bear (3)
#96 of 101 Old 05-17-2010, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How is everyone doing now that the school year is coming to an end ?

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#97 of 101 Old 05-17-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post

How is everyone doing now that the school year is coming to an end ?

Super!

My kids are going to the alternative school next year. We just got back from a visit to our new city and they got to spend last Friday at the school. They both really like it.

I feel like it's the best of what I wanted from homeschooling and what works about school.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#98 of 101 Old 05-17-2010, 07:59 PM

Can I join you all in this thread? I have been HSing my almost 9 year old DD since kindy. DH has never really been on board, and long story shorter, I have finally agreed to try PS for a semester next fall. DD loves HSing and has never wanted to go to school, but of course, she is excited now that I have talked it up for her .

I am pretty much heart broken and just feel like a failure, and like I have given up and have lots of mixed feelings. She will be entering 4th grade, so I do think it is a good year to try school if she is going to do so. I have no idea what we would do for middle school since the public school ones here are stinky--so either HS again or private.

So we finally made the decision, only to find out that the school we want is not accepting in-district transfers. All of dd's friends (from soccer and church about 13+ girls) go to that school. We have never fit in with the local HSers, and I have given up on co-ops etc. Anyway, I am in limbo, and am just ready to make peace with whatever happens.

I have a younger dd who I will HS for kindy next year. Amazingly, dh is really encouraging that I spend that alone time with her. I am really hanging onto that and looking forward to the ease of kindy (esp since she can already read!)
#99 of 101 Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 PM

Well, I guess we are ready to sign off of this thread for awhile. We're closing out dd's last few weeks of school for the foreseeable future. There have been many great lessons learned and positive experiences from her school. I'm glad we took a shot at something different. However, I am equally glad that we are returning to homeschool for awhile.

She has learned to keep track of assignments, take notes, had 2 very good teachers, learned to tolerate a really poor teacher, and deal with one nice teacher with a really boring class. She'll have 4 'A's (barring last minute disaster) on her high school transcript from a highly ranked high school, if you buy into those ranking systems. She learned that she can 'handle' school if that is what she wants. She's met many nice kids, and puzzled over the strange behavior of others - but nothing mean, just kids who don't want to learn stuff. She's learned what she misses about the freedom of homeschooling.

She may return sometime in the future - the school says they will have her back whenever she would like. They have been wonderful and flexible in many ways. I think we will most likely homeschool and do dual enrollment and online classes until college. But, you never know - we may be back!
#100 of 101 Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 PM

I will be very much pushing that dh let me homeschool Alex come fall. Doing it DH's way which was having her go to 1st grade has pretty much showed she doesn't do well in school at all.
She ended up finally being tested in Jan/Feb by the school IEP started in March.
I am now realizing how much i disagree with the IEP in that it states how her homework has been modified to fit her needs yet the testing they did showed for like math that anything above a k.9 level *i.e. kindergarten 9months*would be very difficult for her, yet she is still expected to do 1st grade work.
School ends June 18th and it should be interesting to find out if a whopping 2 months of having a IEP has really helped her at all.
She was in a intensive reading program in a general education setting and made little to no progress.

Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#101 of 101 Old 06-20-2010, 12:28 PM

Bumping

My daughter passed 1st grade and was promoted to 2nd with a report card full of Below Grade Level Standards and a IEP Progress Report that was majorly lacking. it just showed the annuals goes ad then a little spot saying objective 1 * meaning the short term goal for june 2010* and it was all marked as making progress but didn't detail in what way she was making progress.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page