Does your school serve chocolate milk? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 96 Old 01-10-2010, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Back in the day, my elementary school in a poor neighborhood had an actual kitchen where they cooked on site. not anymore....
#62 of 96 Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 PM

At the elementary and high schools here the meals are prepared daily both breakfast and lunch most of it is made on site. The head cafateria lady is a trained certified nutritionist.

For breakfast they always have cereal usually 3 choices of what kind plus each day they have another choice. For example chicken biscuit or wheat toast with jelly, Bacon, eggs wheat toast, muffin or yogurt etc

For lunch Hamburger/cheeseburger, backed fries, vegi baked beans, choice of fruit, Ham & cheese or turkey & cheese hoagie, whole grain pizza or corn dog, steamed corn, garden salad, fresh veggies etc. Not served as a choice every day but each day varies with the main dish.

That is actually better than 95% of the kids eat at home including my own so I have ho problem with how they do things here.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#63 of 96 Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 PM

I have no issue with chocolate milk. I don't think chocolate milk is the difference between a healthy kid and an unhealthy kid. There's a lot more going on (nutrition wise) and its root is probably at home, not at school.

Chocolate milk is the only milk my DS will drink at home or school. He doesn't often get the lunch at school but when he does he has an account. However, he is not allowed to willy nilly choose what he wants -- one main, one side and one drink is all their allowed. No desserts. Snacks are parent provided -- and he chooses not to bring a snack to school. Those that do bring a snack or told not to send sugary snacks.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#64 of 96 Old 01-10-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
It's milk, not koolaid or draino. And I would honestly urge you to check out the cafeteria at your local school. Honestly, I think you have a very outdated view of what is being served in schools these days. At our school, on a normal day, they have a freshly made lunch that is 99% fresh, whole foods, including baked chicken, fresh veggies daily, whole raw fruit daily, hormone free milk. It might not be gourmet organic food cooked by famous chefs, but it is FAR from 'poisonous non-foods'
uh..okay. Honestly, I think you are the one who has an unrealistic view of what a school lunch consists of. I'm not saying that to be snarky, but really....What you are describing is not an average school lunch at all. I am aware that some areas, and some school districts, are serving food that is much healthier than a standard school lunch. (and that's awesome!) It sounds like you are lucky enough to live in an area that is doing that. But most kids don't get anywhere near that kind of school lunch. Most kids are getting pieces of processed chicken drenched in hydrogenated oils+breading, white roll with margarine!, syrupy canned fruits, KETCHUP, along with their dead (pastuerized) milk product as a drink. And it's all pre-packaged stuff, for the most part, nothing is fresh..heck, in our town, the elem schools dont even have a kitchen, the food is cooked (and by cooked, i mostly mean heated up) at the high schools and then DRIVEN around town to the middle and elem schools, where it is then served, barely warm.
also, it isn't necesarily WHAT the items are, but the fact they are crap versions of the item. for example, my family had "chicken nuggets" tonight. Pastured chicken, cut into pieces, dipped into organic honey mixed with mustard, fresh blueberries, strawberries and pineapple, and real, raw milk.
By having the "same" meal in essentially the fast-food version, you introduce trans fats, unhealthy oils, extra sugar from canned fruits, HFCS and hydrogenated oils, artificial colors and preservatives from a commercial "honey mustard" dip, etc.
And that crap fast food version is what they serve in all he schools I've ever been associated with.

CPST
#65 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 AM

Here is the lunch menu for our district.

http://www.kckps.org/menus/

Not all those who wander are lost 
#66 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Here is the lunch menu for our district.

http://www.kckps.org/menus/
Cool. Here is ours for comparisson (you have to click an individual school, but I think they are comparable across the district):

http://www.lwsd.org/Parents/Breakfas...s/default.aspx

#67 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 AM

Our district nutrition standards include 4 fruits/veggies daily, minimum 1 serving of whole grain daily, min 1 fresh fruit/veggie daily, and food prep limited to baking, roasting, broiling, boiling and steaming.

They also have a policy of offering, not serving, to limit waste. I like that, too.
#68 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM

This is ours: Lunch

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#69 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
uh..okay. Honestly, I think you are the one who has an unrealistic view of what a school lunch consists of. I'm not saying that to be snarky, but really....What you are describing is not an average school lunch at all. I am aware that some areas, and some school districts, are serving food that is much healthier than a standard school lunch. (and that's awesome!) It sounds like you are lucky enough to live in an area that is doing that. But most kids don't get anywhere near that kind of school lunch. Most kids are getting pieces of processed chicken drenched in hydrogenated oils+breading, white roll with margarine!, syrupy canned fruits, KETCHUP, along with their dead (pastuerized) milk product as a drink. And it's all pre-packaged stuff, for the most part, nothing is fresh..heck, in our town, the elem schools dont even have a kitchen, the food is cooked (and by cooked, i mostly mean heated up) at the high schools and then DRIVEN around town to the middle and elem schools, where it is then served, barely warm.
also, it isn't necesarily WHAT the items are, but the fact they are crap versions of the item. for example, my family had "chicken nuggets" tonight. Pastured chicken, cut into pieces, dipped into organic honey mixed with mustard, fresh blueberries, strawberries and pineapple, and real, raw milk.
By having the "same" meal in essentially the fast-food version, you introduce trans fats, unhealthy oils, extra sugar from canned fruits, HFCS and hydrogenated oils, artificial colors and preservatives from a commercial "honey mustard" dip, etc.
And that crap fast food version is what they serve in all he schools I've ever been associated with.
Honestly, I don't think you realize that there are NATIONAL standards that list WHAT can and can not be offered. I doubt that anywhere but the most elite, $$$$$$ private school would offer the meal that you made for your family. There are strict adherents as far as fat content, calorie content, carb content, veggie offerings, etc. We are no longer in the clinton years, Ketchup is not a veggie. So, while the offerings may not be the ideal organic diet that some eschew as the only possible healthy option, while all other options are poison, they are options that fit into usda standards for the specific age groups, with strict portion sizes.
#70 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Our district has only one elementary and only one middle school (and no high school) so the parents have a lot of control. We have a "healthy child" policy and lunch always includes both a fruit and a vegetable. The have dessert one day per week, and they don't have dessert at lunch if the school week includes class parties (so no dessert the week of valentines day, for example).

100% juice is served at breakfast, and the lunch options for drinks are milk, chocolate milk, water. One a month they have "breakfast for lunch" with french toast and such and the kids get OJ with lunch that day, and it's a big deal. No soda or juice drinks are allowed at all. The vending machines have only water bottles.

The middle school kids have more lunch options than the elementary. The food is pretty normal food that most kids will eat, but with an eye to nutrition. Today, for example, is pizza on whole wheat crust, tossed salad, and applesauce. The elemetary kids have the option of a turkey sandwhich on whole wheat bread any day that they don't like the entree. The middle school kids have several options, including a chef salad.

There's nothing wrong with chololate milk. Many fitness experts recommend it has a snack after exercise.

I think our school has found the happy medium.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#71 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Our school does offer chocolate milk with lunch, but it doesn't bother me. I make my daughter's lunch most days. I let her pick one day a week to eat school lunch and that works for us. Even for the kids that eat at school every day, I don't think a bag of chocolate milk every day at lunch is a big deal.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#72 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM

What reading the school menus brings home to me is really how many OPTIONS there are for school lunch.

At my kids school they have something like 4 (?) choices for the main dish daily. DP kids them that he had two options for hot lunch as a kid--- eat or not.

#73 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
So do away with the real problem- the debit card system. Then it can't be abused.
The debit card/pin pad system keeps the students who are participating in the free/reduced price lunch program anonymous, so they're not suck in a separate line or using punch cards, which schools participating in the program can't do anymore.

That said, in the school district my kids go to school in, the lunch accounts can only be used for buying lunches, not buying snacks or a la carte, without parent approval beforehand.

I'm a lunch room supervisor at one of the elementary school, and there are quite a few kids that won't drink the milk at all, be it chocolate or white. The kids are required to take a carton of milk, whether they want it or not (or they're required to take an extra piece of fruit), and generally anywhere from 10-20 cartons of milk (mostly chocolate) end up left on a cart in the cafeteria after lunch is over.

The chocolate milk served in our district is fat free, as opposed to the regular milk which is low fat.
#74 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
The debit card/pin pad system keeps the students who are participating in the free/reduced price lunch program anonymous, so they're not suck in a separate line or using punch cards, which schools participating in the program can't do anymore.
Yeah I do like the reason behind the card/pin system. I remember kids being made fun of for being "poor" when I was in school, and the cards were a pretty obvious indicator. Since we are now poor as well, I'd hate my kids to have to deal with that. OTOH I have to wonder WHY some districts feel it's necessary to have options like chips, cookies, etc. available to anything below high school. In our elementary the kids have 4 options for lunch. 1. You may bring a cold lunch. 2. You may buy the hot lunch complete with the entree being served. 3. You may buy the hot lunch and substitute a salad for the entree. 4. You may buy a hot lunch and substitute the sandwich of the week for the entree. Other than that, your only options to select are what type of milk. My best suggestion personally would be keep the cards/pins but minimize the options.
#75 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
the lunch accounts can only be used for buying lunches, not buying snacks or a la carte, without parent approval beforehand.
In elementary school here, there aren't usually any a la carte options. Once a week there is the option of ice cream and it must be paid for in cash. In middle school (starts in 6th here) there are more options.

The lunch accounts work GREAT here. We can add money to them on-line, no child ever forgets his/her money, we aren't fiddling with exact change everday, etc. It's super easy.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#76 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 04:20 PM

I think part of the problem is funding. Most schools have to make money selling school lunch items because the subsidies for free and reduced lunches only go so far. They have to make up the difference by selling lunches and sometimes extra a la carte items at full price. Otherwise they don't have enough money to operate. So they feel they have to resort to offering whatever kids will pay to eat. Nachoes with cheese dip, for better or for worse, is something that can get the non-free and reduced lunch crowd to buy lunch. Baked chicken and green beans, not so much. The same goes for a la carte items like cookies, pudding, giant pretzels, etc. Most kids don't bring money to school to buy carrot sticks and apples.

I used to work as the kitchen manager at a small private school, and this is what I could gather from working with the federal school lunch program and networking with other school kitchen managers. Most of them had a good handle on nutrition but they weren't able to apply it to their jobs very well because of budgets, lack of facilities, etc. It's a complex issue and I think getting parents involved is a great thing. There were days I would absolutely cringe looking at our menu, and I was in charge of it! I started incorporating more natural and home-cooked lunches, which went over really well, but it also brought the price up (more $ for fresh food and more paid work-hours to prepare it) and eventually our budget was upside down and I was out of a job. The school ended up contracting with a company to send over individual trays of pre-made lunches.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#77 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 05:49 PM

At DD's school, they have 3 or 4 different caterering companies offering different things on different days of the week and pizza Fridays. Very confusing (each company has its own ordering system and form ) and can be expensive per meal. We opt for a hot lunch on Mondays, pizza Fridays and I make lunch the other 3 days. Parents pre-order the milk for the kids, either chocolate, white, or a combo of both (I think it's white 3 days choc 2 days) and DD likes white. I like being able to opt in on certain days and for the Monday meal, I preorder from 3 healthy choices. If I had to deal with unhealthy meals at DD's school, I would probably opt out and make lunches, if I could.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#78 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
We are no longer in the clinton years, Ketchup is not a veggie.
maybe read more. this is not accurate.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#79 of 96 Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number572 View Post
maybe read more. this is not accurate.
please show me somewhere that it EVER was listed as a vegetable serving. It was tabled, but as far as I can see, never was listed as a vegetable even then.

oh and the ketchup comment was TOTALLY facetious, not to imply ketchup as a veggie. Oh and in my silliness got my president wrong. Apparently it was in the Reagan administration that they tried to get passed ketchup to count as a veggie instead of condiment.
#80 of 96 Old 01-14-2010, 02:47 PM

DS is in preschool @ a private school. They offer only regular milk.

The public school here, where DS likely will go next year, looks from the menus and other parents I've spoken to as if it has pretty crappy lunches. I doubt DS will take his lunch very often if at all. I'm thinking of allowing it 1-2 times per month.

I'm okay with chocolate milk as I know that single serving a day won't affect his overall diet. What kills me, though, are that they serve broccoli slathered in butter or those horrid little cubes of "mixed veggies." Gag.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#81 of 96 Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 PM

The milk company my school uses just came out with a new chocolate milk to replace their old recipe. Of course it has more sugar than I'd like my students to be getting at lunch, but it's actually not TOO bad as far as that stuff goes. It has: "Lowfat Milk, Sugar, Cocoa Processed With Alkali, Corn Starch, Salt, Carrageenan, Vanillin (An Artificial Flavor), Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3" and it's all from Maine farms with no growth hormones.

A few years ago one of the schools around here stopped serving chocolate and strawberry milk. The kids organized a boycott! They stopped drinking any milk in the school until they got their flavored ones back. So they compromised--chocolate would come back, but not strawberry. Around the same time my school stopped serving strawberry too.
#82 of 96 Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
A few years ago one of the schools around here stopped serving chocolate and strawberry milk. The kids organized a boycott! They stopped drinking any milk in the school until they got their flavored ones back. .
#83 of 96 Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think you realize that there are NATIONAL standards that list WHAT can and can not be offered. I doubt that anywhere but the most elite, $$$$$$ private school would offer the meal that you made for your family. There are strict adherents as far as fat content, calorie content, carb content, veggie offerings, etc. We are no longer in the clinton years, Ketchup is not a veggie. So, while the offerings may not be the ideal organic diet that some eschew as the only possible healthy option, while all other options are poison, they are options that fit into usda standards for the specific age groups, with strict portion sizes.
I think that many parents are aware that there are national standards as far as what schools can and cannot serve. Personally, I am unimpressed with what the mainstream (like the USDA) consider to be "healthy" eating, though.

Take for example the USDA Food Pyramid for kids. It advises that all dairy be the fat free or low fat variety. What most people don't know is that fat free and low fat versions of milk contain milk powder has been spray dried and added back to give body and texture to the low fat milk. This spray dried milk is oxidized cholesterol. While cholesterol in foods isn't all bad, oxidized cholestrol a major contributor to arterial plaque buildup. Spray drying of milk also creates MSG, which is then present in the milk once the powdered milk is added back in. Nina Planck also talks about this in her book "Real Food: What to Eat and Why".

There are numerous examples of why I think the USDA recommendations are actually unhealthy food options. As a parent who doesn't serve the SAD, I don't take much comfort in the fact that my child's school serves meals based on these national standards. And while I agree that funding really limits what can be served in schools, I think a big part of the impediment to healthy eating is actually the fact that most people just don't realize how the current methods of processing of food destroys it nutritional content.
#84 of 96 Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 PM

Our district serves chocolate milk and honestly I have a much bigger issue with the fact that the average meal if children choose all the options is nearly 800 calories. I don't think the problem is chocolate milk.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#85 of 96 Old 01-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
It's milk, not koolaid or draino. And I would honestly urge you to check out the cafeteria at your local school. Honestly, I think you have a very outdated view of what is being served in schools these days. At our school, on a normal day, they have a freshly made lunch that is 99% fresh, whole foods, including baked chicken, fresh veggies daily, whole raw fruit daily, hormone free milk. It might not be gourmet organic food cooked by famous chefs, but it is FAR from 'poisonous non-foods'
I eat lunch with my child weekly; this is what I have seen:

• sugar coated honey gram cereal with chocolate milk (with corn syrup) and pop tarts, for the free breakfast
  • corn dogs
  • fried fish on white bread rolls
  • the nastiest frozen pizza I have ever tried
  • tater tots (also nasty)
  • yogurt with HFC and a couple other strange things
  • hotdogs on white bread rolls
However, I have also seen grilled chicken salad, sides of plain corn, and sides of fruit.

School lunch has improved a bit since I was a child, but not enough that I would allow it everyday. My ds REALLY likes buying lunch, and his teacher thought that allowing it sometimes would improve his behavior (long story), but she also acknowledged that it was not good food and that what I sent in his laptop lunchbox was much better. Our compromise with ds was that he could buy it on Fridays when most everyone else did. I drew the line at a daily chocolate milk though; I'll give that to him at home.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#86 of 96 Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 PM

My kids school doesn't serve Chocolate Milk but I wish that they did. I admit my kids drink way too much juice and lemonade at home. They are only allowed 1 6oz juice box with lunch which they can't drink till after they eat. They won't drink water unless they are really dehydrated or white milk. They always come home dehydrated and grumpy hungry. Both my kids are underweight (bottom 10% for weight) for there heights (top 25%).

My kids both started chocolate milk at 2 yrs as the pediatrician insisted they needed cow milk (for calcium and weight) and they were still nursing and would not TOUCH white milk.

They attend private Montessori school and school lunch is healthy and organic but frequently hard to get kids to eat.

Jennifer
#87 of 96 Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM

My ds's in kindy and he drinks choc milk every day. He hates regular milk. I would be very upset if 1 parent who didn't want their own kid to have choc milk caused the school to take away ds's beloved drink.

And before anyone flames me about the ds drinking it everyday, let me just say that I could really could care less. He eats a generally healthy diet. I highly doubt 1 carton of milk a day is going to make him obese.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#88 of 96 Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't think chocolate milk is the biggest problem with school lunches, but I still wouldn't like my child served chocolate milk every day. We eat treats and desserts sometimes, but they don't need to have a sugary drink with their lunch.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#89 of 96 Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 PM

Oh and for people worried about their kids still getting it even if you said not to, I'd reconsider that. We had my dd's bday party this weekend, a bunch of 8-9-10yo girls. THREE told me that they weren't allowed to have coke/soda/only sprite/etc. So, kids whose parents set boundaries generally stick to them, even at a time where you might expect they wouldn't.
#90 of 96 Old 01-27-2010, 01:08 AM

We're Muslim--which means we don't eat pork. When we lived in NYC, it was easier--the schools simply didn't have pork on the menu. Where we are now, I think the school district has a deal with Smithfield or something.

They know to ask if something has pork in it. Will I kill them (or care) if they eat it accidentally or even on purpose? No...but 99.9% of the times, they don't.

I view chocolate milk in a similar way. If I didn't want my kids to drink it every day, I'd tell them that. I'm not going to police their food choices (although through the meal card, I can see what they buy), though.

Because I do care about what they eat, I pack their lunch at least 90% of the time. School lunches, at least where I live, are scary and unappetizing. If I was a kid whose Mom made her buy school lunch, the chocolate milk would probably be the only edible thing there!

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page