Mothering Forum banner

need advice; possibly changing schools

538 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  dairy2dogs 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new here but have seen what a wonderful supportive group this is. I also posted this in the special needs parenting forum.

I have a HS son with high functioning ASD and a MS daughter with Anxiety, Sensory issues, and behavior issues. We just found out due to a 10% across the board state budget cut for schools and a negative fund balance the district is closing one elementary school and consolidating the other 3 buildings. Currently we have a preK-2 building, 3-5 building, 6-8 building where my daughter currently is, and a 9-12 building where my son is. The HS building is in disrepair and our district has been trying to get the city to build a new HS for years now and it keeps getting voted down. For next year they want to have one prek-3 building,one 4-6 building (@ the current MS), and move the 7&8th graders to the HS.

My kids and I are freaking out about the idea. I can't imagine my daughter going to HS next year. They are saying the 7th & 8th grades will be in one wing of the school but they'll still be using the same cafeteria and gym and still be exposed to kids much much older. My son says he already can't stand the crowded halls and is very worried about how much worse it will be next year. I'm wondering how they are going to fit everyone in. As it stands now the special ed. rooms are basically closet sized rooms in the wing that will be used for 7th and 8th next year.

I have alot of questions I need answered but from past experience know I probably won't get them. The newspaper said the board is holding an open forum for the public to voice their concerns but they won't respond or answer any questions. Gee, thanks, that's helpful.

We are in a small town and don't have other options for HS. There is only 1 private school but it ends at 8th grade. Homeschooling could be an option for our son. It would have to be a private online school though and would be a financial burden. We tried homeschool our daughter and it didn't work so that is not an option for her. My husband and I are considering open enrollment to 1 of two neighboring towns. But the kids already have social issues and naturally we are very concerned about taking them away from their "friends", especially our daughter who's doing better in the social area than her brother. Then there is the whole change issue which will be hard for them. Of course it will be change if they stay here anyway.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you guys have as I ponder this difficult situation.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.