Musings of a teacher and parent - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 31 Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amma_mama View Post
Blizzard_babe, Bunnyflakes and all the other great MDC teacher-mamas, I think that it goes without saying that we all wish we had you guys as teachers for our kids. There are a lot of really great teachers out there and we are grateful for those of you that put so much into your work, which is one fo the most important jobs in the world. Unfortunately, though, there are also a lot of bad ones. DD is only in Kindy so we don't have a lot to judge at this point. But I do have my only childhood experience and it was definitely not such a rosy picture of love and caring. I can count on one hand the number of truly outstanding and genuinely caring teachers that I had. While the majority of the others were passable - not detrimental, but also not exactly caring - there were definitely enough really bad experiences with teachers that should not have been in the profession.

Teaching, like all professions, attracts both the good and the bad. There are really great doctors that are dedicated to healing and caring for their patients, and there are others that are in it for the money. There are really great policemen who are out there to protect and serve, and there are others that are on a power trip. And so on. The teaching profession is no different. While there are bad apples, we should definitely celebrate and offer our appreciation to those that love thier jobs, love the kids and provide a warm and nurturing environment!
Thanks And I totally agree that there are some bad teachers out there. And sadly it keeps some really good ones from getting jobs.

It seems to be difficult to fire a teacher, at least in my own area. My supervising teacher while I was student teaching told us a story about how when she was in college, she worked with a 4th grade teacher. He was so horrible to the kids, he used to call the children with special needs "Little Dummies" and make them sit under their desks while the other children were working Her supervisor got involved, the University got involved, and nothing could be done about it.

The saddest part about this story was that 20 YEARS later, she was supervising a student teacher and guess who she was assigned too? The SAME teacher, doing the SAME things How sad that this was going on And that so many people were angry about it yet nothing was ever done. It is beyond frustrating.

I think that sometimes misunderstandings happen, so I am all for giving the teacher the benefit of the doubt until he/she proves otherwise. I do the best I can for my students, but that does not mean everyone does. I get that.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page