Private schoolers-- are your schools in danger due to the economy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine is. Lots of schools in the area have closed or are at risk of closing. Plenty of area families are switching to public because they can't afford tuition, so then the schools can't stay afloat.

Meanwhile, the publics are bursting at the seams with students and letting staff go. Yikes.

Is it the same other places, or just where I live?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 03:47 AM

Our seems to be doing OK. Thy are raising tuition by $25 a month next year so they seem to feel people can afford it. However, it is one of the less expensive schools in the area.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#3 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 AM

Same here. My DD's school enrollment dropped from ~140 last year to 90+ this year. And it's pre-k => 8, which gives you an idea of class size. I'm slightly terrified for next year.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#4 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 10:37 AM

I teach preschool at a charter school. The preschool is not included in the original charter, and tuition is required for students attending preschool. The class size this year is half of what it was last year. The program is operating in the red, and there is talk of closing the preschool next year.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
Same here. My DD's school enrollment dropped from ~140 last year to 90+ this year. And it's pre-k => 8, which gives you an idea of class size. I'm slightly terrified for next year.
Yup, ours is too. My kids were there for 2 years while I was employed as the music teacher. When they didn't renew my contract because they cut out all electives to save $, they lost my two kids and we're homeschooling. They also lost a handful of others whose parents were upset at the no electives, creating a downward spiral. We lost from 120 to 90 two years ago and this year dropped to around 75. The church won't let them operate with under 75 kids; it was iffy whether or not they could do it this year. I know they're seriously worried about next year.

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#6 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our kids go to a small private Christian school and it has stayed pretty stable with an enrollment around 70 kids. They are raising the tuition by $200 a year but families who are already enrolled can get the previous year's rate if you sign up by the end of February. We will keep our kids in private school as long as we can manage it. We are even choosing to rent instead of buy so that we can afford private school.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#7 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Our's seems to be hanging on, keeping fingers crossed. Tuition was raised by $200.00 for every child this year school, and they restructured the grades to take on more students. Several more students have moved in this school year and I have heard of only a couple moving away. DD2's class alone has gotten 3 new students. One of the teachers was telling my DH (who works on the school's computers for free) that several of the families have defaulted on the tuition this year, but the director is letting them stay. There are only 77 students in the entire school so it is not a large school by any means.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 01:54 PM

My kids are in a Montessori school and the tuition went up last year for the newbies.We got the old rate(which was raised the previous year),but I bet this year we will be charged more.The enrollment is down,so they have to get the money from the families that are left.There was also an increase in charges for supplies,gym classes,and pentalty charges if you did not do volunteer/fundraisier services for the school.

Don't know how long we will keep the kids there.Looking into online public eschools which has no fees and we would save on gas/cloths.
#9 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM

Ours is struggling. We had about 10 kids less this year than they had planned for, so we're dealing with that. They try to only raise the tuition by about 1% each year at a most, but this year (10-11 school year) it went over that. I think it was raised by about $400 for the year. It's a Catholic school though so we do get some help from the diocese. Thankfully our school gets a lot of donations from the more well off parents and former students/parents of students who can afford it. It's a great small school in a great location for a lot of working parents (near a HUGE place of employment in my city) so that keeps it highlighted amongst the other Catholic schools.

Mama of three.

#10 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Ours is expanding. It's part of a grand master plan, but we're adding another 3-4 yr old class and expanding into middle school with a 5th-6th class. It's a small school (about 60-70 kids). They did raise tuition a little bit.

DH and I are concerned with the economy and affording tuition since we have 2 kids there. If he were to get laid off it would be hard to be able to afford it, but we'll probably re-enroll.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#11 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM

As of right now, I believe our school is maintaining. I do not know if they will be increasing tuition next year or not.. if so, I hope it isnt too much. My third graders class is pretty full and my younger daughter's class is almost full... right now the upper grades are light but I'm hoping that will change as enrollment continues and the current grades move up.

If we had to switch to public, I think the girls would do ok... but that may also be when I would consider homeschooling again... I prefer them in a smaller environment and together (they are on the same floor and able to see each other throughout the day) and I have a pretty heavy workload during the day so would need to make major changes if we moved to hs.

Little Acorn Learning - Celebrating the Seasons with Children - Monthly Guides for Homeschool and Childcare - Visit Our Website and Our Blog
#12 of 14 Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Thankfully our school is flourishing (Catholic middle school). It is struggle but thanks to dedicated parents and staff and financial aid, grades 5-8 are at capacity.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#13 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 AM

I homeschool my oldest two right now but am considering putting my 2nd grader in to a private school. We go there now for a couple of classes for homeschool students and they seem to have a good enrollment. There are 13 in the second grade class. I think enrollment went down for a while a couple of years ago and has slowly risen again. They go through 12th grade and have been around since the late 1950's (my DH went to school there too!) so I don't see them closing down, but one never knows I guess.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#14 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 12:01 PM

I don't think so. Nobody has said anything. It's rather large compared to what I'm reading here - about 650 students from pre-school to 12th grade. It's a private language immersion school. They did raise the tuition to $13K, but it was a very small increase. I think the higher grades are seeing some additional fees that were perhaps absorbed into the tuition in prior years.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page