Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
Were the other exceptions illegal?
Well if management doesnt know are stated as illegal then yes. one of the things the teacher WONT do is go fishing with any of his students now - they all want to go, because he is a male and esp for female students.

kinda sorta the lines of 'illegal' are not that defined here. and yes - much more illegal than mine. however considering the amount of emotional stress the children was going thru some of us parents who knew fully supported it. the school board would definitely NOT support the teacher's actions.

yeah i know of no school here where all the gates are locked. of course that's in my limited experience of public schools.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#92 of 100 Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
Yeah, our school's doors are locked from the outside, but can be opened from the inside. Only the front door is unlocked during school hours and you physically have to step into the office before getting into the hallways.
That's how ds's school (large school in a fairly big city), except the front door. The front door is locked from the outside too and has a buzzer. You buzz the door and someone in the office has to push the button to temporarily unlock one of the 4 front doors to let you in. There is NO way to get into the school without someone knowing.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#93 of 100 Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
YES. When I am teaching, if a student enters the room late, it is ALWAYS a disruption, no matter how politely the student tries to ease into the class in session. The whole flow of the lesson is interrupted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
coming into class late disrupts the entire class, so it is messing other people up including the teacher. There may be kids where someone coming in late can throw off their entire day due to their own issues.
Hmm. It's not been a problem for me when teach, but everyone has a different style. So classes you teach would fall into the category of "messing other people up, so lateness is a problem" but classes I teach would fall into the category of "lateness is not a problem as long as you don't bug me for extra help later."

I am not a public school teacher though - I taught college and now I teach kids at a hs co-op. Perhaps that makes a difference in point of view...

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#94 of 100 Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=aran;15009658
I am not a public school teacher though - I taught college and now I teach kids at a hs co-op. Perhaps that makes a difference in point of view...[/QUOTE]

I think it's more the age and not the fact that it's a public/private school issue. In a class of six and seven year olds, EVERYTHING is disruptive, lol.

I think the OP is aware of the rules and is accepting of the consequences.

Yes, it sucks that the school's funding is based on whether or not kids are there on time. I don't agree that the way to rectify that is to sneak in, but I'm not the OP. When I enrolled my DD is public school, I basically implied consent to their rules, whether I like them or not.
#95 of 100 Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate42 View Post
I think it's more the age and not the fact that it's a public/private school issue. In a class of six and seven year olds, EVERYTHING is disruptive, lol.
I mainly teach 5-6 year olds now, actually! How funny that my experience is different than most of you!

#96 of 100 Old 02-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
I am not a public school teacher though - I taught college and now I teach kids at a hs co-op. Perhaps that makes a difference in point of view...
I just started back to college and my professors have made it very clear that we are to be there on time with our cells phones OFF.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#97 of 100 Old 02-01-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I just started back to college and my professors have made it very clear that we are to be there on time with our cells phones OFF.
Yes, as I noted above, I understand that many teachers don't share my lack of consternation at lateness.

My philosophy was that if you are in college, you are paying to be there, so I didn't give a rat's behind if people ever showed up, showed up late, or didn't pay attention in class. If they learned the material, it was not my business how they went about learning it. If they didn't learn it because they couldn't act like responsible adults, well then they would pay the natural consequence. And I am not so egocentric or distractable to make any rules about cell phones. I would say something if someone was being rude, but really - it didn't require any special rule about lateness and cell phones. It's not like I was on a lunch date with these folks so it didn't offend. Perhaps the OP's DD's teacher is shares my attitude and not the attitude of the teachers you have or the PPs. Again, another

#98 of 100 Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
If they didn't learn it because they couldn't act like responsible adults, well then they would pay the natural consequence.
That may be part of the difference. In a public school, the teacher and the school pays a consequence if the student doesn't learn.

I teach adults. Our program is federally funded (free for students), with funding tied to student attendance and performance. And, yes, we have strict rules for punctuality and cell phone use in class. Students are simply not allowed to enter the classroom after a certain number of minutes into class. To allow an exception would be extremely unfair, because many other students moved mountains to get there on time each day.
#99 of 100 Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 PM

What about unschoolers? Or eclectic homeschoolers who don't work on a strict schedule? Apparently those children never grow up and learn to be on time for anything?

My dd is seven and is in grade one at a catholic school. When I'm off (nurse = shift work) we go in whenever she wakes up. If we're on time, great... if not, I call and let the school know she slept in and we'll be there when we can.

Maybe it's WAY different in Canada? You can bet there'd be some civil disobedience if I had to worry about the tardy police.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#100 of 100 Old 02-01-2010, 04:26 PM

OP, if you wanted to model responsible behavior, you would work to make changes to the school schedule. A group of parents in our district did it last year, and the schools have had success with later start times. They were very organized and methodical about it. That sort of work for change is responsible to me. Suggesting to your child that you should be exempt from the rules because you just don't want to get her up isn't. I agree with a pp that you're willing to get her up to sit next to a boy but not to be on time, and that's a pretty strong indicator against the original point you say you're making with allowing her to be late.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page