- outdoor area for play
- clean, organized, spacious, lots of light,
- child-sized furniture
- books and activities
- clear procedures for drop off/pick up
- controlled access - so children can't escape and strangers can't get in
- well-maintained, no crumbling stairs, trampolines, etc.
- respectful to the children and parents
- friendly, welcoming, caring
- flexible, able to adjust to meet the child where s/he is, rather than having expectations of what s/he must be doing - for my children, academics (i.e. reading, writing, playing with numbers, learning fascinating scientific facts) was playing - they loved those activities. I wanted a place where that love of knowledge would be respected, not discouraged as unnatural because of a mistaken belief that all 3 y.o. must prefer to play with trains or in the play kitchen. Yes, my children liked those things, but they also liked reading and numbers too.
- nurtured my child as a capable person
Good luck with this next step on your journey!