Mamas with Fall 2010 kindergartners? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my registration announcement in the mail last night.

DS got in the magnet school I wanted! (found that out last week, this was an announcement from them on when to come do their building's registration)

And then DH and I looked at this form and realized....he's going to SCHOOL! Real, all day, every day SCHOOL that requires a lunchbox and everything!

Anyone else starting their first school experience? Or want to be in on a tribe no matter where you are in the number of "first day of real school' experiences?

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 AM

DD is going to K in the fall, too, but she's been "in school" for a while. I've been back to work full-time since she was 14 months old, so it was daycare to daycare/preschool. Now, I'm on maternity leave, and I'm waiting to hear back from my town's Pre-K teacher so DD can go there every morning for the rest of the school year.

I'm still wavering about what school she's going to go to. Our public school is a PK-8 in one building, and I like the community aspect of it. Plus, it's free, which is awesome. And, if DD tests into the gifted program (a possibility, since DH and I both did, and she's pretty bright), there are enrichment activities/classes she can be doing. On the flip side, my dad and step-mom have offered a half-tuition "dad grant" for her to go to a local Friends (Quaker) school. Their daughter (8YO) is there, and they love it, and my sister will be sending her son (Pre-K this fall) as well. I would love for DD to go to a Friends school, but there's the money issue, and there's no gifted enrichment, and we'd lose the community aspect of the local school.

So, yeah. DD will be in K in the fall. We'll see where she actually is, though!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#3 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 12:07 PM

We have been homeschooling but are slowly making a change. My 1st and 5th grader are in school. Just after Spring Break I am taking my soon to be 8th grader over to start the process for fall. Dd3 will start K in the fall leaving me with just ds2. After having 5 at home all day it will be quite the switch and despite having older children this will be my first kindergarten round-up.

We are giving the local public schools a go and live walking distance from the elementary, junior and senior high. I walk the girls to school and they walk home together. Next year with a K and 2nd grader I'll be walking them both ways.

Dd3 is very excited about getting her own lunch box. We need a lunch box smilie.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#4 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 01:13 PM

I have one starting K in the fall too. She did private preschool 2 days a week last year and is doing 3 days a week this year. She is my second. My oldest will be in second grade next year at the same school, and we have been really impressed with his experience so far. K round up here is in early April, so we will take her to be registered then.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#5 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM

My youngest (DS) will be starting full day K at our local neighborhood public in the Fall. We love the school (my older DD will be in 3rd grade next year) and we love the teacher he'll have. I live in an area where red shirting is common so as a June boy, he'll be one of the younger boys in his class, but he's more than ready for it. He's so excited to finally go with his big sister! Also, we're lucky that he was able to switch preschools for his Pre-K year and over 1/2 of his classmates will attend the same elementary school as him so he'll know quite a few kids when he starts (unlike his big sister who knew no one when she started).
#6 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 05:10 PM

I have two (twins) starting Kindergarten in the fall. They have been home with me from day one. We have not done preschool. They do classes here and there without me, art, dance, music, but that feels very different from, as you day, all day, every day school.

I am freaking out a bit. It feels huge.

I'd homeschool, but my DH is opposed to it. I'm pretty sure we're going to choose a Montessori school, so much so that I've skipped registration for our local school. But our local school has half-day Kindy and Montessori schools are all day.

I just feel deeply sad to be away from my girls for nearly 7 hours a day. That leave 5 hours a day together, much of which will be taken up with meals, getting dressed, bathing, driving to and from school. I'm sure they will love school, but I'm going to feel like pieces of me are missing each day.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#7 of 58 Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 PM

My oldest also starts K in the fall, but it won't be his first school experience. K is a huge deal to him though. HUGE. He can't wait, he's so excited about the whole thing. He's been in a Montessori preschool and he'll still be at the same school and he knows what extra stuff the K kids do and it's just so fascinating to him (like starting art and music class, etc.). I'm not quite ready for the all day every day aspect of it, but I think he is. His little brother is starting the preschool in the fall too, so double yikes for me on my guys growing up too fast!

Mom to a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a cuddly little newborn
#8 of 58 Old 02-28-2010, 01:23 AM
MCR

Dd starts K at the end of July (odd school year schedule) I've been filling out her paperwork and have an appointment at the docs for her physical next friday.
I'm feeling really hesitant about sending her. She is my last child, so I've been there before. I'm not sure if thats why I'm hesitant or if it's because she's a challenging child. I worry she's going to get over excited and out of control, and if talked to harshly she gets her feelings hurt so easily and will bust into tears. I want to just keep her my little one forever
It doesn't help that I've lived here since my 21 year old started K and I don't see good improvements in the school I don't see it being such a great school anymore, I don't like how dismissive the teachers and staff seem to be when I've come across them over the last few years.
On a good note I know the new office front lady, we have socialized with our older kids at the local pool quite a bit over the years, but I can't for the life of me remember her name, just her daughters names.
#9 of 58 Old 02-28-2010, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mine got into the 'magnet school' I guess you'd call it, I just learned that word on google I wanted (been on the list since a year old)

He's been in preschool--IEP--since December 07. 4 half-days a week and i thought that was too much when he started!

He is SOO excited about K though! He wanted to go last year because a couple of his friends did, but he missed the cutoff by 5 weeks.

I also have a dh who wouldn't hear of homeschooling. I think we're OK with what we're getting now though.

He will probably not be real happy he's not riding the bus to the school the neighbors go to--BUT--he would not be in the same class with his friend anyway. (He didn't quite 'get' that, the other day he said he wanted to go to K with the kid from upstairs--who of course will be a 1st grader then!) His other buddy he played NintendoDS with last summer is older too.

This *will* be better for him. We're in an apartment we don't plan on staying forever in anyway. As long as we stay in town, he gets to stay at the same school. And with the parental involvement, there's always a couple of extra adults working with the class, which I think is *huge*...not to mention he's going to have so much fun with the extra field trips he'll get to take at this school! (I went with him to the fire station this year, after that trip his big thing became Fireman Sam videos, playing with fire trucks, he still talks about it all the time, "There's the fire station we went to!" whenever we drive by it.) He's going to get so much more I think than he would at any of the other public schools....I am excited.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#10 of 58 Old 02-28-2010, 04:54 AM

Ack, yes. My dd will start K in the fall, although I don't know where yet either. She's been in a waldorf preschool 2 days a week and very happy, and I always thought I would do Waldorf all the way because it resonates strongly with me. But it's a huge decision! I am lucky to have choices, but I am agonizing. We have a wonderful Waldorf private school close by (but it's $$), a free waldorf inspired charter school (far away- 25 minutes), Montessori charter schools (close and free), and a somewhat decent regular public school that does have some arts and music. All are lottery (or application with the private school) so I am almost hoping the decision is out of my hands. It's been a busy month- probably for most of you too! The options are all so different, and it's a big choice. My kid is bright and task oriented, so I'm leaning towards Montessori, but I love the play and whole child approach of waldorf. I'm interested to hear your months before K experiences too!
#11 of 58 Old 02-28-2010, 05:00 AM

subbing. ditto, my youngest is starting K in the fall
#12 of 58 Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamachandi View Post
subbing. ditto, my youngest is starting K in the fall
Me too!

#13 of 58 Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Ds2,our middle child, starts at our local public school in the fall. He will probably be the youngest in his class, with a late August birthday, but he meets the cut-off and I can't imagine holding him back. I have no idea how he'll do, as he's a bit more spirited than me older son. I register him next Tuesday. Ds1 will be in 2nd grade at the same school next year and ds2 already knows most of his friends.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#14 of 58 Old 03-01-2010, 04:38 PM

My dd starts Kindy this August!! She will turn 5 in late July, then start school 2 weeks later. I had always thought I would homeschool. In truth, I feel as though I have been homeschooling, since around here it is the norm for at home moms to send kids to preschool at 2 and have them in all-day pre-k by 4. DD has matured so much over the last 3 months or so, and the only reason she gives for wanting to homeschool is not wanting me to miss her . So we've been accepted (via lottery) at a Montessori charter that has half day. Now I'm fantasizing about putting my 2yo in at the same school a couple of mornings a week . I feel kind of bad about abandoning all my homeschooling plans, but she wants so badly to be around other kids, and she's so task oriented, I think she would really thrive in school--esp. montessori. I'll try to enjoy these last few months of having her all day!
#15 of 58 Old 03-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieangela View Post
Ds2,our middle child, starts at our local public school in the fall. He will probably be the youngest in his class, with a late August birthday, but he meets the cut-off and I can't imagine holding him back. I have no idea how he'll do, as he's a bit more spirited than me older son. I register him next Tuesday. Ds1 will be in 2nd grade at the same school next year and ds2 already knows most of his friends.
I have the same exact thing going on, except my K kid is a girl. Her bday is August 30, and spirited (as well as dramatic, stubborn, sweet, opinionated) is a good description of her as well! She too has the big brother going into second grade, so is used to seeing the school and his friends from times we visit him. Let me know how registration goes!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#16 of 58 Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM

DD goes to K in the fall. We are going to the local public and I am happy about that. We live in a small town and activities tend to revolve around church/school.
We are already doing the school's K readiness program and DD has been having a blast. I've been very impressed by what I've seen/heard so far. I'm a little sad, but I know she will love it.
#17 of 58 Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r&mmommy View Post
DD goes to K in the fall. We are going to the local public and I am happy about that. We live in a small town and activities tend to revolve around church/school.
We are already doing the school's K readiness program and DD has been having a blast. I've been very impressed by what I've seen/heard so far. I'm a little sad, but I know she will love it.
precisely WHY I am throwing a fit to DH about his ideas about moving to a small town, specifically the one he works in. I think it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get away from Christmas in December, and to be "different" in general. (we are Muslim) AND I want to start taking ds to the weekend school at the mosque next year. I do NOT want to move FARTHER from it!
not to mention HIS SCHOOL which I think we will LOVE. So HE can keep his job that he doesn't even like and live in dink-ville and send ME money to live here. :P that's my solution. (I'm not disrespecting small towns, I'm choosing not to name a specific location. And I know in this particular small town it would be impossible to be 'different' and enjoy it)

#18 of 58 Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 PM

I'm pretty sure we are starting! Yikes. I can't believe it. My little one turns 5 in November, and we have a December cut-off. She'll be young for sure, but she sure does seem ready. I hope I don't regret sending her. It's the hardest decision ever.
#19 of 58 Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 PM

I have one of those! DD will be 5 in April and I just registered her for kindy at her Montessori and at public school. It was a hard decision to make. DD isn't really loving Montessori, she fell out of love when my ds started going to a daycare instead of a babysitter during the days I work. The daycare is full of bright, plastic toys and she's decided that the grass is greener there.
So in talking with her teacher, other parents at the school who do half and half, and other trusted sources, we decided that this would be the best course of action. Of course if it doesn't work for dd we can always drop her out of one or the other.
It was really emotional signing her up! I can't believe my baby is going to be in elementary school!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#20 of 58 Old 03-03-2010, 04:32 PM

My youngest will be starting junior kindergarten in September (in Ontario they have two levels of kindergarten) at the same school my older kids are currently attending, a small private Christian school. She'll go 9:00am-3:30pm, Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I am sad about it in some ways, and worried about how she'll do, but I am also excited because it will be my first big chunk of time with no kids in over 9 years! It seems like it is still ages away but I know 6 months will go by really fast.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#21 of 58 Old 03-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Me!

My oldest just turned five and will (probably) start Kindergarten in the fall, at our local public school.

I still consider keeping him home next year. He learns really well independently, says he doesn't want to go to school, et cetera. He learned to read recently--I taught him in about 2 weeks of 30 minutes a day. He attends a Reggio Emilia preschool program put on by the public school district, and he often says he doesn't want to go, despite his teachers' reassurances that he is enthusiastic about every activity, and that he fits in really well socially and has a lot of friends. All this has me second-guessing what to do with him next year. But I'm going to go ahead and register him in a couple weeks...then I'll have a few months to decide for sure.

Happy to have found you guys!
#22 of 58 Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

i have a new theory redpajama....called "no decision is EVER final" it's what's gotten me through dh's resistance to the idea of homeschooling. I figure we have agreed, and I found a magnet school that has a lot of parent involvement required, field trips, and a lot of interaction between all ages.

I figure we will either be happy with it, which will be great, *or* we won't be and we will revisit our options.

Even if you go as far as sending him for awhile and seeing how it goes, it's not "final." He's still YOUR kid, you can revisit and decide what's best for him! good luck

#23 of 58 Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is the approach we took for a long time with our oldest son. We just didn't know how things were going to work out so we just made decisions year by year. Felt better than saying 'this is for the next 12 years!' So far he has made it to 9th grade in public school but we still take it year by year! We still know our alternatives and keep them in mind all the time.

#24 of 58 Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
MJB

My second son will, hopefully, be starting kindergarten at a private K-12 this fall. I say hopefully because we are waiting to find out if we will get financial aid. If we don't get enough aid to afford it, we'll be homeschooling.
#25 of 58 Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 PM

My youngest is starting in Fall 2010 as well. She already attends pre-K in the school district. Her schedule will only change by about 30 minutes each day and the addition of one extra day (she goes MTWTH now).

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#26 of 58 Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
i have a new theory redpajama....called "no decision is EVER final" it's what's gotten me through dh's resistance to the idea of homeschooling. I figure we have agreed, and I found a magnet school that has a lot of parent involvement required, field trips, and a lot of interaction between all ages.

I figure we will either be happy with it, which will be great, *or* we won't be and we will revisit our options.

Even if you go as far as sending him for awhile and seeing how it goes, it's not "final." He's still YOUR kid, you can revisit and decide what's best for him! good luck
Yeah--this is how I'm approaching it. I'm so back-and-forth about it that I've decided it would be easier to have him all set to go to school and then un-register him, than to not get him signed up and be trying to register him at the last minute. (Plus I want to make sure he has a spot in the elementary school that is walking-distance from our house, and not one of the ones that are across town.) But I know we'll be wrestling with this decision for a while--I just feel really conflicted about it, either way.
#27 of 58 Old 03-13-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingmama View Post
I'm pretty sure we are starting! Yikes. I can't believe it. My little one turns 5 in November, and we have a December cut-off. She'll be young for sure, but she sure does seem ready. I hope I don't regret sending her. It's the hardest decision ever.
We are in the exact same boat. I was always the youngest in my class (oct bday) and I turned out just fine.
#28 of 58 Old 03-13-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren View Post
This is the approach we took for a long time with our oldest son. We just didn't know how things were going to work out so we just made decisions year by year. Felt better than saying 'this is for the next 12 years!' So far he has made it to 9th grade in public school but we still take it year by year! We still know our alternatives and keep them in mind all the time.
All of the "no decision is ever final" posts are very encouraging to read. It looks like we'll be going to kindy in the fall after much research into all of our options. DH would love to be a homeschooling family but I'm feeling burned out SAHMing and I think (I hope) a year of kindy will be fun for DS and also allow our family to catch up financially. Just knowing that we can keep our options open through the years has been such a lifesaver and keeps things in perspective.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#29 of 58 Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks organicmommy!
#30 of 58 Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingmama View Post

ditto this

My twin DDs will be 5 in Oct. We registered them last week for K.....I have mixed feelings, but they are in PreK right now and doing wonderful!! (M-TH 1/2 day) and will only be adding one 1/2 (M-F 1/2 day) next fall so I feel better about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page