dd not meeting potential? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post
All this wealth of helpful and relevant information for the OP - to be conveyed in a question mark...
Yeah - there's no question that the teacher's feedback was also lacking in detail!! The OP is absolutely entitled to point out the irony to her.

However, since the child is already working with OT, I'm hoping that there has been better feedback attached to other assignments in the past. As well, I hope there's been a series of discussions between the teacher, school support (OT etc.) and parents over the course of the year.

Thanks for your kind thought - I've done a fair amount teaching to adults within other professions, but I've often considered whether traditional teaching in schools was a missed career for me.
#32 of 34 Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes, thank you ollyoxenfree!! dd's teacher sent another note home that she spoke to the ot and she will be speaking to the school's learning coordinator about increasing dd's ot.
dd loves to swim, so maybe enrolling her in a swimming class would be a great way to strengthen her gross motor skills.
thanks for all the input!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#33 of 34 Old 03-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momily View Post
As a Kindergarten teacher, I'm going to take the other side just for a moment.

In the Kindergarten curriculum we use, specific types of drawing is viewed as a way to practice organizing your thoughts for writing down the road. When our kids draw during writer's workshop, we coach them on adding details so you can see action, settings, feelings etc . . . , just as we would coach a first or second grader to add the same things to their writing. If we're in science and we're drawing the stages of a Monarch butterfly, we expect them to use the correct color and location and position of the parts -- if a child turned in a beautiful picture of a butterfly with 10 legs, and purple stars on the wing, I'd say "this is beautiful, but it's not a Monarch, please do it again". If they drew the same picture in the art center, or during art class, or when we're exploring a media rather than communicating science knowlege I'd hang it up.

As far as whether it's "art" I don't necessarily see it that way. Sure drawing can be art -- of course, writing can be art too. But there are also times when we ask a student, or an adult to use writing or drawing to represent a specific piece or set of information, and in those situations it's a reasonable expectation that children do just that. Drawing a picture with "freckles" is the same thing as assigning a paper to a child about "what do you want to be when you grow up" and having the write you a one liner saying "When I grow up I want to be old." As an adult, it's like fabricating information in your newspaper article, or drawing a picture for the instruction manual on how to assemble your new table, and leaving out one of the legs because it looks good to you that way. In both of the situations, the writer/artist would not be able to argue that they were creating "art", they'd be fired.

If my child's teacher called and said "I gave your child an assignment and he rushed through it and didn't give the info I wanted", I'd say "Thanks for letting me know" and have him do a new one at home. I wouldn't be anxious or assume that the teacher wasn't communicating, and I wouldn't be mad with my child, I'd just know that sometimes kids experiment and that I needed to clarify our family's values about taking time and doing work that meets teacher expectations.
As a first grade teacher, I need to second this. I think it is well put. Teachers are given a set curriculum of life skills to teach children, and use every opportunity (including drawings) to assess where a student may need guidance in order to grow. It's their job, and if they don't do it they'll get in trouble. Most teachers have the student's best interest at heart. It's hard to say from the OP (and the teacher's note) what the teacher is concerned about, or even if she is truly "concerned." It sounds like more communication about it is necessary, and hopefully the teacher has a good reason. I know for my part, teachers are often so INCREDIBLY harried in the demands on their mental time during the day, that sometimes it's hard to put more than a quick note on a paper, and sometimes these things slip our minds by the end of the day if they're not super important. I would recommend giving the teacher the benefit of the doubt and calling to try to figure out what she meant. She may have been trying to communicate an area of growth to you during a busy day. I still think there should be official, monthly meetings set up for classroom communities so that parents and teachers can communicate openly. But I also think that teachers give so much of their time already (beyond the school day), that this can be overwhelming. Please, give the teacher the benefit of the doubt and call.

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#34 of 34 Old 03-14-2010, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk98 View Post
yes, thank you ollyoxenfree!! dd's teacher sent another note home that she spoke to the ot and she will be speaking to the school's learning coordinator about increasing dd's ot.
dd loves to swim, so maybe enrolling her in a swimming class would be a great way to strengthen her gross motor skills.
thanks for all the input!!
just saw this...sorry! I'm so glad there was more communication, and steps taken to help!

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page