We've applied to a magnet school (public) for K but we won't hear until the first or second week of May. It's so hard to wait! Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat or if you've heard the results yet-- I'd love to read about other people's experiences while I obsess about DS's chances. I wish our lottery system wasn't quite so slow!
We'll keep DS in his wonderful Montessori program for next year if he doesn't get into the magnet school, but financially it would be much much better for our family if he gets in. I almost think being waitlisted would be hardest because I just really want to know where he's going to be in the fall (and so does his current school, where we'll need to put in a deposit soon if he'll be there in the fall).
Good luck to anyone in the same situation!
BTW I am actually sending DD to a local public elementary. After my plans fell through, I finally deigned to meet with the principal of the neighborhood school ... who was great. Could not have asked for a better response. So maybe it was all for the best.
"light makes it better"
The charter said we should hear in May if they have an opening.
Ooh, charter school #2 called today for a tour; I guess that means they anticipate openings next year, so now we have two chances to for ds to attend a science and technology charter school!
"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)
We're also waiting to hear if our little one will be offered financial aid to the private K he got accepted into, because if not, we can't send him there.
Waiting is so hard! I have no idea what they'll be doing in the fall!
Good luck to everyone waiting to hear.
I went to the lottery this year because I knew a few people trying to get in. There were more spots taken up for next years kinder than there were last year! Siblings and children of staff get first priority. Last year there were 21 available spots for the lottery, this year there were 16.
Yeah! Ds got in! Next year he can commute with daddy. This was our first choice due to having to provide transportation and dealing with any discipline issues.
If he gets a spot, he's is guaranteed a spot at the school til 6th grade.
Still waiting for a few more weeks here. But I met a family with another 5yo boy who lives down the street from us (we're new to the area) who also applied to the same lottery, and now I want both DS and this boy to get in so that DS will have a friend nearby!
It's hard to wait. I am not the most patient person!
Saamy Student mama to and and
We got into the preschool program. We have orientation tomorrow and to pick up a application that has to be returne within 14days or they will take it as you dont want your child in the program. We did 8:30 til 12pm option which is minimum participation. I am dreading the cost though. But he gets a spot to attend that school next year for K til 6th grade just because he is attending their preschool program. It's a public school and a magnet school for communication arts.
So we just got our lottery results and we're pretty high on the waitlist. Even though they keep the waitlist going until the fall I think it's pretty unlikely that a lot of people would decide not to choose the school. Now we need to figure out how to pay for Montessori for next year because we really don't want to send him to our local public school-- at least not for Kindergarten.
Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear.
My son did not get into the magnet we wanted. We're trying to decide whether to send him to a less desirable school or homeschool for 2nd grade and try again next year.
I hope it all works out for next year, whatever you decide to do.
I just felt like posting a quick update: we were just notified this week that DS got in off the waitlist!! I can't believe they made it to our spot on the waitlist after only 6 weeks of school.