Anyone else waiting to hear results from school lottery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 03-23-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've applied to a magnet school (public) for K but we won't hear until the first or second week of May. It's so hard to wait! Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat or if you've heard the results yet-- I'd love to read about other people's experiences while I obsess about DS's chances. I wish our lottery system wasn't quite so slow!

We'll keep DS in his wonderful Montessori program for next year if he doesn't get into the magnet school, but financially it would be much much better for our family if he gets in. I almost think being waitlisted would be hardest because I just really want to know where he's going to be in the fall (and so does his current school, where we'll need to put in a deposit soon if he'll be there in the fall).

Good luck to anyone in the same situation!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 AM

I was in the same situation (DD in wonderful Montessori program where she could have stayed, needed to know about a deposit, was in a lottery for an Alfie Kohn-inspired alternative elementary) and it turned out poorly. We were way down the wait list. Hope you have better luck!!

BTW I am actually sending DD to a local public elementary. After my plans fell through, I finally deigned to meet with the principal of the neighborhood school ... who was great. Could not have asked for a better response. So maybe it was all for the best.

Loving Lucy Amelia
"light makes it better"
#3 of 28 Old 03-24-2010, 01:43 PM

For us it is either the local public school (ds is in now) or the public charter school.

The charter said we should hear in May if they have an opening.

Ooh, charter school #2 called today for a tour; I guess that means they anticipate openings next year, so now we have two chances to for ds to attend a science and technology charter school!

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 28 Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 PM

We're waiting to find out if ds1 got into a charter school. It will be mid-April before we hear anything. If not, he'll keep attending the public school he's in now.
#5 of 28 Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 AM

I wish you all the best of luck!

I remember how horrible the wait was for us, so I send you my sympathy.
#6 of 28 Old 03-25-2010, 12:28 PM

Tatermom, if you're talking about the french immersion language program in Montgomery County, I have a friend with 2 kids (will be 3) in it and they are VERY happy. I hope your dc gets in!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#7 of 28 Old 03-25-2010, 04:47 PM
MJB

We're waiting to hear about the school lottery for my oldest (for 2nd next year). We're moving to Louisville, KY, which has a crazy school application process. We picked two magnet schools as our top two choices-- one is an open-type school and the other is a performing arts magnet-- and a public montessori as our third. If he doesn't get into any of those 3 we will be homeschooling. We don't find out until May, either.
We're also waiting to hear if our little one will be offered financial aid to the private K he got accepted into, because if not, we can't send him there.
Waiting is so hard! I have no idea what they'll be doing in the fall!
#8 of 28 Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sympathizing, everyone! It's nice to know I'm not alone...

#9 of 28 Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 AM

we were just notified that dd was accepted into our local spanish immersion charter school. actually, they indicated that they have a space open in her current grade right now and encouraged her to transfer for the remainder of the year. she's excited!!
#10 of 28 Old 04-08-2010, 12:52 AM

Ours wasn't really a lottery system like it has been at other schools b/c they go by how much of the criteria they meet (previous Montessori, siblings in the program, w/in the district, children of employees, etc.). Anyhow, I just got acceptance letters on Mon. for my younger two kids, who will be joining the older two in a Montessori school. So excited that they got in. It's free for the oldest 3, but I have to come up with $600 per month for my youngest... I'll make to work, though, b/c I needed him to be somewhere startng on the fall as I will be switching to full-time school for myself. Montessori was my top choice over daycare or a nanny/sitter.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 28 Old 04-09-2010, 04:10 AM

We went through this last year. I feel for anyone in this situation. We applied to all three charters (a magnet, a Montessori and a place based school). We were #1 on the wait list after the drawing for the magnet and got in (our first choice).

I went to the lottery this year because I knew a few people trying to get in. There were more spots taken up for next years kinder than there were last year! Siblings and children of staff get first priority. Last year there were 21 available spots for the lottery, this year there were 16.

Jenn
#12 of 28 Old 04-19-2010, 03:02 PM

Yeah! Ds got in! Next year he can commute with daddy. This was our first choice due to having to provide transportation and dealing with any discipline issues.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#13 of 28 Old 04-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Congrats!!! I bet that's a relief!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 28 Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm turning in our application to a magnet school's preschool program tomorrow, we will find out by may 1st if our son gets one of the 30 spots, it's a lottery system and you also have to pay $$ also for the program which includes a $75 payment to hold the childs spot if chosen.
If he gets a spot, he's is guaranteed a spot at the school til 6th grade.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#15 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats to those of you who have already gotten in!! You must feel so relieved!

Still waiting for a few more weeks here. But I met a family with another 5yo boy who lives down the street from us (we're new to the area) who also applied to the same lottery, and now I want both DS and this boy to get in so that DS will have a friend nearby!

It's hard to wait. I am not the most patient person!

#16 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 AM

We got our results last week and ds didn't get in. He's #31 on the waiting list. Since the school's pretty small, I highly doubt they'll get to him. Oh well, we'll try again next year!
#17 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
We got our results last week and ds didn't get in. He's #31 on the waiting list. Since the school's pretty small, I highly doubt they'll get to him. Oh well, we'll try again next year!

#18 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
I'm sorry to hear that! I really hope you get in next year (or that 30 people decide not to attend!!).

#19 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatermom View Post
I'm sorry to hear that! I really hope you get in next year (or that 30 people decide not to attend!!).
Thanks! There's about 30 kids in the third grade class for next year and I don't think turnover will be quite that high. But we're good with it. As much as I'd love for him to go there, logistically, it would be a little difficult this year anyways.
#20 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
MJB

I'm still waiting impatiently to hear whether my son got into our magnet school of choice. I called today and they said they'll mail letters out May 3. Why does it have to take so long!?
#21 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I'm still waiting impatiently to hear whether my son got into our magnet school of choice. I called today and they said they'll mail letters out May 3. Why does it have to take so long!?
Is that the week of registration for your district? I received my letter Saturday and my district registration form would have had to be in by April 23rd.

#22 of 28 Old 04-21-2010, 05:01 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Is that the week of registration for your district? I received my letter Saturday and my district registration form would have had to be in by April 23rd.
All the applications for the whole district were due Feb. 28. I know it's a big, convoluted system, but 2 months is a long time to wait!
#23 of 28 Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 PM

I am waiting to hear which magnet school my dd will start at in the fall. Our city schools ask for you're top 3 choices out of 6 schools, we are fine with all our top 3, so it's cool. Last year I went through the same thing with my son, and he did not get any of our top 3, however all the schools here are great, and the one he is at turned out to be a great place for him. Either way, we will have a spot somewhere in the school district, so at least I don't have that to worry about.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#24 of 28 Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We got into the preschool program. We have orientation tomorrow and to pick up a application that has to be returne within 14days or they will take it as you dont want your child in the program. We did 8:30 til 12pm option which is minimum participation. I am dreading the cost though. But he gets a spot to attend that school next year for K til 6th grade just because he is attending their preschool program. It's a public school and a magnet school for communication arts.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#25 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

So we just got our lottery results and we're pretty high on the waitlist. Even though they keep the waitlist going until the fall I think it's pretty unlikely that a lot of people would decide not to choose the school. Now we need to figure out how to pay for Montessori for next year because we really don't want to send him to our local public school-- at least not for Kindergarten.

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear.

#26 of 28 Old 05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
MJB

My son did not get into the magnet we wanted. We're trying to decide whether to send him to a less desirable school or homeschool for 2nd grade and try again next year.
#27 of 28 Old 05-08-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
My son did not get into the magnet we wanted. We're trying to decide whether to send him to a less desirable school or homeschool for 2nd grade and try again next year.
Sorry to hear that. It's so frustrating, isn't it?! Do they give you a flat "no" or do you get a tantalizing waitlist spot like we do?

I hope it all works out for next year, whatever you decide to do.

#28 of 28 Old 10-09-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

I just felt like posting a quick update: we were just notified this week that DS got in off the waitlist!! I can't believe they made it to our spot on the waitlist after only 6 weeks of school.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page