Starting kindergarten later rather than earlier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, I know, it's a question on many minds. I'm wondering what people perceive as the DISADVANTAGES of starting kinder later as opposed to earlier. One personal disadvantage for us is figuring out how we will afford another year of pre-school...what do you see as the global disadvantages? I'm interested in the scholarly research (I teach, myself, but I'm a college professor) as well as the anecdotal, editorial opinions.

DS's b-day is in August, about a month before the cutoff. He'd be one of the youngest kiddos in kinder next year. He's bright in many ways and not at all accelerated in others. I'm concerned that he will not thrive if he's put into a classroom where it's all seatwork and worksheets due to NCLB. We're trying NOT to send him to a place where this is the case but we're up in the air until lottery results come through.

Though I know no one else can make this decision for us, I wanted to provide a little background about DS so you know where I am coming from. He has a HUGE attention span for listening, being read to, conversing. He loves pretending. He's learning a second language amazingly readily. He has a great memory. He's able to reason, has good self-control, is fairly logical, and has absorbed a lot of facts about various things (ancient Egypt, types of medieval weaponry, solar system). He's starting to sound things out and read some words, but retreats from this process if we try to pursue this. He is not at all keen on writing. He knew how to make many letters, almost all, about a year ago and then lost interest completely. He's drawing more now, but for a time refused to put pencil to paper. He is easily frustrated and has perfectionist tendencies which immobilize him. He's stubborn. He's sensitive. (By the way, those last three sentences could also describe me if we simply change the pronoun.)

Can anyone weigh in on why NOT to start kindergarten later instead of earlier? Thanks for your thoughts and input. You may see another thread from me later re: how to manage to pay for another year of excellent but pricey pre-school.
#2 of 29 Old 04-09-2010, 02:18 AM

Montessori. Your son can focus deeply on the areas of interest to him and not be forced to do things that are of no interest to him. The teachers can creatively encourage him to broaden his interests. There area a million reasons why your son would thrive in a Montessori school. Also, because it's a multi age class, it pretty much eliminates the decision of whether to hold him back or move him ahead this year, and you can re-evaluate next year.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#3 of 29 Old 04-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I think if you started him late, he could end up ahead of his classmates and bored. He sounds ready now.

Besides, if you don't like the kindergarten, how will that change in the next year? It would seem that you are putting off the problem, not fixing it. Are there any other options? Are there any private Ks where you live? Could he do an extra year of preschool and then skip K? Have you really checked out the K?

One of my kids has mild special needs, and in the sn community, holding a child back from K to "give them an extra year to mature" is seen as a bad thing because it is usually done without any sort of evaluation to see if there is an underlieing problem that is causing the child's development to be off from there age mates. There are kids who are held back, receive no services for that year, start school the next year, and the school eventually figures out that something is off with the child's development and then the child gets special services. The parent's choice simple delayed the problem and possible solutions to the problem, made the child bigger than the kids they go to school with, etc. It stopped their child from recieving they help they needed. None of that sounds like it applies in your case, but you asked for negatives about holding a child back, and to me that is the biggest one.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 29 Old 04-09-2010, 11:24 AM

I thought this article was interesting: http://www.naeyc.org/files/yc/file/2...yingKEntry.pdf

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#5 of 29 Old 04-09-2010, 04:11 PM

Your DS sounds ahead already academically, but even if he wasn't research supports sending kids to school on time. Just search this forum for "redshirting" and you'll see tons of links to good resources.

Though you will hear many anecdotal acounts of how great XYZ child did in K or first grade when they were held out an extra year, it is often more bout how great it was for the teachers than it was for the child and it doesn't look at the 18yo highschool senior who is bored and just wants out of school.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#6 of 29 Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 PM

Besides the NAEYC article posted by a PP, I will say I have some anecdotal evidence from my DDs class and the current K class (I help 1x per week in there even though I don't have a child in that class)...for some kids, delaying entry hasn't been a big deal...I don't think I would have known they were older and they're not wildly ahead (so maybe they would have been behind had they started on time), but for two kids I can think of boredom issues were significant..in one case it led to some pretty severe behavioral problems and just refusing to do the work at all (that child actually turned 7 in April of K..he's in the high reading group...reading at an end of 1st beginning of 2nd grade level and just seems bored and refuses to participate). In the other case, the child turned 6 a few weeks before K started (in Aug) and was ahead in K and 1st, not too bad of boredom/behavioral issues, but was a little bit of a pain (and mean) to kids who were just learning letters/learning to read. His attitude issues were mild, but now that he's in 2nd and 3rd and other kids are starting to catch up, his attitude issues seem worse (admittedly, this may not be b/c of his starting later, but in K, the attitude manifested in making fun of or snickering about kids who weren't as academically advanced).

Finally, I feel pretty strongly that if a kid is ready from a cognitive/behavioral perspective, you could be doing them a disservice by not allowing them to be challenged when they're ready.
#7 of 29 Old 04-09-2010, 11:05 PM

My ds#2's birthday is 2 days after the cut off so we had no choice but to have him be older in kindergarten (our district is absolutely rigid and we couldn't afford private).
My cons (some funny, some not )
-He is the tallest child in the 6th grade. Too bad he's in 5th
-He was bored a lot in earlier grades. He gets things easy and since he's child #3 he was hearing a lot of info that I was discussing with his brother and sister
-He will be able to drive himself to school in 10th grade with an actual driver's licence
- Some things that are age related he will not be able to do because he ages out earlier than his friends in the same grade(Lego Robotics)
#8 of 29 Old 04-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Well, he could wonder why you didn't have confidence that he could succeed at grade-level/why he wasn't sent on time, esp. if redshirting isn't very common where you are. If he is big for his age, it would be more obvious to him and the other children. From your description, it sounds like he is very bright and ready. Most of the research shows that age-related differences even out at 3rd grade or so. My ds is the youngest in his K class, and quite a few were "redshirted" and are a year or more older. Still, he was definitely ready for K and has had a successful & enjoyable year.
#9 of 29 Old 04-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Forget it.
#10 of 29 Old 04-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almama View Post
We're in the same boat, but have a later cut-off (9/30). My thinking is to keep him in K this year and if he needs to, accelerate him later. I am all for letting little kids play as much as possible (especially boys), and having them work harder when later.
Unlike holding a kid out for K, acceleration isn't something you can just decide to do as the parent. School administrators have to agree to it.

Most schools frown on it completely. Parents of gifted student, who are working 4 or 5 grade levels above their chronologically correct grade, have to fight tooth and nail often to simply be able to move their kid up one or two grades. It typically involves a lot of testing.

It is very unlikely that future acceleration is a real option. If you hold him out for K, this will almost certainly mean he will be a year behind for the rest of his school career. Of course this means he's starting his work career late too, putting him a year behind in saving for a house and retirement, etc.

Though this is you decision, it is pretty much a permanent one and shouldn't be looked at as a temporary one that can be undone when the situation changes.

#11 of 29 Old 04-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Something to think about is the vast difference in cut off dates across the country. We have chosen to hold our son a year and start K this coming fall. He will turn six in October. In our state he could have legally started this year, but in more than half of the other states in the U.S. he would not have been eligible to start until this fall anyway. There is a great likelihood that we will be moving in the next 5 years and this played into our decision as well as his social readiness. I find it interesting how quick we are to jump on people who hold their children back based on an arbitrary date based on what state you live in.

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
#12 of 29 Old 04-10-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugginsmom View Post
Something to think about is the vast difference in cut off dates across the country. We have chosen to hold our son a year and start K this coming fall. He will turn six in October. In our state he could have legally started this year, but in more than half of the other states in the U.S. he would not have been eligible to start until this fall anyway. There is a great likelihood that we will be moving in the next 5 years and this played into our decision as well as his social readiness. I find it interesting how quick we are to jump on people who hold their children back based on an arbitrary date based on what state you live in.
Our niece has a November birthday and the cut off is 1 Sept, so she was nearly six when she started K.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#13 of 29 Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 PM

How he reacts to K may be different than how he reacts to you teaching him. I could not get ds to practice handwriting at all on my own but he did it in school. He also had to be "in the mood" to allow me to help him learn things; I could tell when he was "done."

Also, I agree with a pp about boredom possibly resulting in behavior issues. Though ds is in the last third of his class to turn six, he entered K reading at at least a 2nd grade level and is advanced in other areas. He has had significant behavior issues all year, though his behavior at home improved significantly a couple of months into the school year.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#14 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post

It is very unlikely that future acceleration is a real option. If you hold him out for K, this will almost certainly mean he will be a year behind for the rest of his school career. Of course this means he's starting his work career late too, putting him a year behind in saving for a house and retirement, etc.

Though this is you decision, it is pretty much a permanent one and shouldn't be looked at as a temporary one that can be undone when the situation changes.
It can be extremely difficult to get acceleration-- but not always. It was recommended by the school that my older ds start K early (he missed the cutoff by a couple of months). I declined because I thought he wasn't ready to handle it.

After preK and K, we homeschooled for years, and ds was always working at least one grade level ahead. So, when he applied to private school last year, I asked that he be placed a grade "ahead." His enrollment testing indicated that he could succeed, so the school agreed. Ds is happy and doing well.

Private schools are often more flexible about placement. But, I learned something interesting from a public school principal. We ended up randomly chatting, and she told me that when kids entered ps after homeschooling, they were placed according to age, not birthdate. Say you take your child to register in January, on the day after her 8th birthday. The school will say "She's 8-- put her in third grade," despite the fact that a child with that birthdate who had been in school all along would be in 2nd. Strange, but true (at least in my district!).

FWIW, my younger ds is going to K in the fall, and will be one of the oldest in his class. I think, for him, it's a good placement.
#15 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 01:11 AM

Our DS started KG on time but we live in CT with a Dec 31 cutoff. His b-day is Dec 4 so he was four for the first few months of KG. I struggled with this decision but DH (Dec 19 b-day) was adamant that he should start.

Thank goodness I listened. DS is now in first grade, at the top of his class in both reading and math. He is very often bored. No behavioral problems so far because DS has a serious penchant for daydreaming, which he currently can follow during much of the school day.

I can't imagine how much more bored he would be if he were in KG.
#16 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darien View Post
It can be extremely difficult to get acceleration-- but not always. It was recommended by the school that my older ds start K early (he missed the cutoff by a couple of months). I declined because I thought he wasn't ready to handle it.

After preK and K, we homeschooled for years, and ds was always working at least one grade level ahead. So, when he applied to private school last year, I asked that he be placed a grade "ahead." His enrollment testing indicated that he could succeed, so the school agreed. Ds is happy and doing well.

Private schools are often more flexible about placement. But, I learned something interesting from a public school principal. We ended up randomly chatting, and she told me that when kids entered ps after homeschooling, they were placed according to age, not birthdate. Say you take your child to register in January, on the day after her 8th birthday. The school will say "She's 8-- put her in third grade," despite the fact that a child with that birthdate who had been in school all along would be in 2nd. Strange, but true (at least in my district!).

FWIW, my younger ds is going to K in the fall, and will be one of the oldest in his class. I think, for him, it's a good placement.
Home schooling for a few years is a fine alternative if one doesn't think one's kindergarten aged child is going to fit well in any of the kindergarten classes that are available to one. It isn't really the same thing as holding them back a year though with the hope that the parent can later move them up.

There are many great things that a child can do during the K year if the parent doesn't think they will do well in the public kindergarten. Many private preschools run kindergartens that are more fun and playful than public school kindergartens. One can homeschool for a few years. In many areas kindergarten isn't even a required school year, so one can just skip it and pop their kid straight into first grade. However, once you have started school, the system tend to take over and one is stuck with where one is.

#17 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugginsmom View Post
Something to think about is the vast difference in cut off dates across the country. ... I find it interesting how quick we are to jump on people who hold their children back based on an arbitrary date based on what state you live in.
We've moved around a lot and K is very different in different places, and the differences tend to line up with the age requirements. Places where kids are younger tend to have more play based K, while places where the kids are older tend to be more read/write/to math on pape

Quote:
Originally Posted by darien View Post
But, I learned something interesting from a public school principal. We ended up randomly chatting, and she told me that when kids entered ps after homeschooling, they were placed according to age, not birthdate.
that is NOT the case where we live. Kids are placed by birthday.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#18 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 01:59 AM

Around here, the cut off date is Sept 1st, but most schools encourage you to hold them out if they have a birthday of June 1st or later. DS's birthday is Aug 30th, and we were strongly encouraged to hold him out. In fact, we had to fight a little to make them take him. He was ready, but more than that, it was our only chance to get him into this particular school (b/c of overcrowding in the school we were zoned for). For us it was better to put him in Kindy knowing we could hold him back if he needed it, than it was to send him to an overcrowded school with poor scores.

fwiw, he was the youngest kid in his class for kindy and did really well. We didn't need to hold him back, and he is currently finishing the first grade with high marks. It's exactly where he should be. We're glad we made the decision we made, even though we felt pressured at the time, but I would have been fine putting him back in kindy if he needed to be there.
#19 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Home schooling for a few years is a fine alternative if one doesn't think one's kindergarten aged child is going to fit well in any of the kindergarten classes that are available to one. It isn't really the same thing as holding them back a year though with the hope that the parent can later move them up.

There are many great things that a child can do during the K year if the parent doesn't think they will do well in the public kindergarten. Many private preschools run kindergartens that are more fun and playful than public school kindergartens. One can homeschool for a few years. In many areas kindergarten isn't even a required school year, so one can just skip it and pop their kid straight into first grade. However, once you have started school, the system tend to take over and one is stuck with where one is.
I don't think I implied that homeschooling was the same as holding a child back a year, and FWIW, I didn't go into hs'ing with any plan of moving ds up later.

My point was that a child is not necessarily locked into whatever grade they start in. Yes, it can be challenging to change a child's grade placement later, but it's not impossible. It's public school, not a contract! Sometimes public schools are easier to play ball with than expected. If not, sometimes private school or homeschooling will help to "fix" a child's placement. You can move, you can hire an educational consultant.... That's all I wanted to put out there.
#20 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 01:06 PM

in my state K is not required, so some of the schools when you "hold them back/out" a year for K just put them in 1st when they start anyway because they didn't *have* to do K.

So if you show up with a 6year old on the first day of school they are going into 1st grade even if they didn't do K.

However, that isn't EVERY school, just some of them.
#21 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
. One personal disadvantage for us is figuring out how we will afford another year of pre-school....

He is easily frustrated and has perfectionist tendencies which immobilize him. He's stubborn. He's sensitive. (By the way, those last three sentences could also describe me if we simply change the pronoun.)

I have an opinion on these two things. Paying for a preschool you don't feel you can afford. Um, is there something great this preschool offers that would enrich his life, other than babysitting him until he goes to school next year. Like is it nature-based and got field trips or is that where he's learning the second language? The second language that was a big quiestion, is that something you're doing or is that something that kindergarten will interupt? Or is it just paying extra money for an extra year of childhood?

Thoughts on the endless worksheets and perfectionism: I think handwriting is actually just busywork and repetition and the more you practice, the sooner you get it done, the sooner you can get on with life. Everybody has their own opinions but I think most people don't like handwriting at first and won't like it until they've done it long enough to not think about it anymore. (except unschoolers) Everybody prefers to do things they're already good at. Unless you're going with an unschool or self-paced cirriculum and if you plan to send him to the same school just a year later I don't know that he would like the pile of handwriting homework any better next year.

The main thing for me from your post is that you're straining the budget for the extra year of preschool. I'd rather strain the budget for a family vacation with that money , but you're thinking of holding him back for a year for a reason. Perfectionism isn't immaturity he'll outgrow in a year. With the age difference I think kids treat younger kids a little better even.
#22 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
We've moved around a lot and K is very different in different places, and the differences tend to line up with the age requirements. Places where kids are younger tend to have more play based K, while places where the kids are older tend to be more read/write/to math on pape

Well, I come from a state with a December cut off date and I can't think of one district around with a play based approach. Not saying it isn't so in other places, but we haven't found that to be true here. I live in one of those districts that actively encourages you to send your fall birthdays to developmental kindergarten for a year, then traditional kindergarten. So many places have DK, Early 5's, Junior/Senior Kindergarten now which is just "redshirting" in an institution so I don't see the difference anyway. Such is life.

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
#23 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 09:17 PM

We held my DD back from K on the reccomendation of the kindergarten round-up thing they do here..We waited a year and tried our hands at homeschooling..for our DD this didn't work out so well, When we finaly broke down and put her in public school she is waaay behind other kids her age. She is being tested for everything under the sun..while there are a few guesses as to whats going on with her we wont know anything until the evaluations are complete. For my DS we started him on the homeschool K cirriculum late because we thought the "extra year" would be good for him to pick up on things and emotionaly mature. He is now in public school and WAY ahead of his classmates. He reads at a middle of 2nd grade level, his math is at a middle of 1st grade level. He is also the oldest kid in his class, and while the material bores him for the most part he does enjoy the social aspect.

For both of my kids "redshirting" them has had its pros and cons. We got a chance to really bond with our kids during the 2 yrs we homeschooled DD but at great expense to her because she has needs that we never knew about and is struggling. On the other hand it was great for DS because he HAS matured significantly, and can help out the other kids that may be struggling with topics he's already mastered, and it gives him a chance to really get his social skills in tact before entering the world of 1st grade and greater expectations.

If your child is already academicly/emotionaly advanced I would say there is no reason to hold them back. It would probably frustrate the kid because of sheer boredom and being "beyond" that. But I really think it depends on the child. I don't think at this point with my 3rd child I will hold him back but I have a whole 'nother year to worry about that!

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."- Kurt Cobain
#24 of 29 Old 04-15-2010, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for all the thoughts and comments. It's interesting to read about others' experiences.

The remarks about being older and "ahead" possibly leading to boredom and/or misbehavior are worth thinking about. It was also useful for me to be reminded that he interacts differently, and often more cooperatively, with other adults--this is apparent at soccer and at pre-school. I mean, he's a wonderful kid, but with these other adults, in interaction unaffected by the parent-child relationship, he's a little different. Of course!

We're hopeful that he'll get lucky in the language immersion lottery, so to those who inquired, yes, the extra year at pre-school would potentially provide more second language experience and another shot at a spot in language immersion next year (if he doesn't get in this year and we opted to go for kinder for 2011 instead of 2010). It might sound strange to any of you not familiar with the dual immersion curriculum and methodology, but I believe the language immersion program would be a better fit for him academically. If that doesn't work, he'd go to the neighborhood kindergarten, which I find less innovative and a little more worksheet-ish and seatwork-oriented--hence my original thoughts about whether he is ready and whether he would thrive in that sort of "standard" classroom.

Anyone else want to comment on why NOT to wait to enroll a kiddo--who happens to be a boy--in kindergarten? Thanks!

PS With all due respect to those of you who homeschool, that is not in our plans. However, feel free to keep that info in the discussion if that broadens the appeal/usefulness of this thread!
#25 of 29 Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Ive been wondering about the same thing too. The thing though is that my DS's birthday is Sept 30, so we dont have much of a choice. He is still young (2.5) but I hate to think that I might have to end up holding him back a year because of 29 days. He is every social and eager to be with other kids.

That said I met a couple recently and we were discussing this issue and they told me that they held their son back a year. They said that he was the youngest in his class and just was not doing so well. I have also spoken to pre-school teachers who tell me that younger kids especially boys seem to have a harder time so when they are older they do much better. I dont know if the research supports this or not but that seems to be the generally held view.

I think that the main thing is to ensure that he is being engaged intellectually, socially and emotionally so that he remains interested in learning.
#26 of 29 Old 04-15-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
We're hopeful that he'll get lucky in the language immersion lottery, so to those who inquired, yes, the extra year at pre-school would potentially provide more second language experience and another shot at a spot in language immersion next year (if he doesn't get in this year and we opted to go for kinder for 2011 instead of 2010). It might sound strange to any of you not familiar with the dual immersion curriculum and methodology, but I believe the language immersion program would be a better fit for him academically. If that doesn't work, he'd go to the neighborhood kindergarten, which I find less innovative and a little more worksheet-ish and seatwork-oriented--hence my original thoughts about whether he is ready and whether he would thrive in that sort of "standard" classroom.
This really is a somewhat different issue. If you look at it as, making a choice between 2 not quite ideal things. A choice between the disadvantage of a less than ideal school vs the disadvantage of losing a year of schooling.

My first question would be in: Is the immersion school really worth it? For a bright kid immersion can seem like a way to up the academic challenge, but often in a couple of years the child is fluent in the target language and there is no longer any inherent challenge from it being an immersion school. If the school lacks a gifted program and isn't generally more challenging than the regular school, or doesn't do as much academic level small grouping within the class, the school will not be a good fit long term. If the school isn't going to be a really good long term fit when compared to the public school it probably isn't worth loosing a year over.

Another issue is that holding him out of K with hopes of a second shot at the lottery is a gamble. How are you going to feel if his looses the lottery the next time around as well. Then he's going to be going to the public school and will have lost a year waiting for second shot at the immersion school.

There is another thread on this subject.

Of course this all may be moot. He may win a slot this year.

#27 of 29 Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM

I haven't read all the posts but wanted to respond. My DS turned 5 on his first day of school (August 11th bday with Sept 1st cutoff) and I started my own "should I hold him back" thread that ended up in a million pages of responses.

He is due to finish his first year in a couple of weeks and here are my thoughts on having started him on time -both pro and con.

#1 He has learned SO MUCH this year that he would not have learned in another year of preschool. I could have had no real idea before starting him how he would have done academically, but he's been like a sponge.
#2 He has friends but is a little socially awkward with older kids. I don't see this as a lasting problem, he's just had to learn how to get along with the crowd.
#3 It took 2/3rd of the year for him to catch on to how to exibit "proper behavior" in class. They have behavior charts where you're green, yellow, blue or red in decending order of how many times the teacher has had to address undesirable behavior. First half of the year we had a lot of yellow and blue but now he's mostly on green having figured out that all he has to do is not pull pranks and do his work. I see that as a maturity problem that the six year olds did not likely have.
#4 He is a little behind on coloring in the lines and similar kindergarten issues but he's progressed steadily and as I compare his work to others in his class certainly some are neater and some are not.

Not sure what points I'm making with the above but basically we were worried, agonized over it, did not relish paying for another year of preschool. and finally decided that if necessary we'd hold him back before 1st. He's shown in some ways that he's younger than the majority but more than anything else I think that it was time for the mental challenge and he's done just fine.
#28 of 29 Old 04-29-2010, 02:38 PM

DS is in the type of school you describe: very heavy on seatwork, worksheets, lots of formulaic writing.

The kids who are academically ahead of the curriculum seem like they are the ones thriving. They are the ones who stay on green most days, who sit and work quietly and do their work well. They can easily write several sentences, can fill out all the worksheets, etc. They make the teacher's job easy.

But... these kids are just not getting very much beyond the social stuff. Most days, DS goes the whole day without learning anything beyond some handwriting practice and maybe hearing a book he likes read to him. He is dreamy and quiet, and it's not visible to his teacher how much he is tuning out of learning, but he's just not engaged.

Whereas the kids in the middle, who weren't reading at the start of the year, or maybe were just sounding out CVC words, they have a harder time focusing on the worksheets, and don't do as well discipline-wise, but to me they seem to be a better fit in the classroom, because they are really learning. I'm not saying they love the teaching style and all the freaking worksheets, but these are the kids that their parents can look at them at the end of the year and say, "I can't believe how much they learned!"

I guess I'm saying I see it as a disadvantage to be significantly ahead, not for the teacher, but for the student long-term, particularly for K-3 years where the focus is on learning reading and math facts.

Heather
#29 of 29 Old 04-30-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticidyll View Post
DS is in the type of school you describe: very heavy on seatwork, worksheets, lots of formulaic writing.

The kids who are academically ahead of the curriculum seem like they are the ones thriving. They are the ones who stay on green most days, who sit and work quietly and do their work well. They can easily write several sentences, can fill out all the worksheets, etc. They make the teacher's job easy.

But... these kids are just not getting very much beyond the social stuff. Most days, DS goes the whole day without learning anything beyond some handwriting practice and maybe hearing a book he likes read to him. He is dreamy and quiet, and it's not visible to his teacher how much he is tuning out of learning, but he's just not engaged.

Whereas the kids in the middle, who weren't reading at the start of the year, or maybe were just sounding out CVC words, they have a harder time focusing on the worksheets, and don't do as well discipline-wise, but to me they seem to be a better fit in the classroom, because they are really learning. I'm not saying they love the teaching style and all the freaking worksheets, but these are the kids that their parents can look at them at the end of the year and say, "I can't believe how much they learned!"

I guess I'm saying I see it as a disadvantage to be significantly ahead, not for the teacher, but for the student long-term, particularly for K-3 years where the focus is on learning reading and math facts.

Heather
Your description depresses me, but I'm sure it's very accurate. I feel sorry for the advanced kids who are basically wasting their days.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page