Earth Day 2010 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-19-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Earth Day is coming up.

I was wondering what events and activities you or your child's school/class were planning. It's a big event at some schools around here, and we were discussing various possibilities for this year and next. I love the day and the focus, and I think it's a great learning opportunity. I'd love to hear what others do to learn and/or celebrate.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#2 of 5 Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Unfortunately I don't think our district is formally acknowledging it. I'll have to ask the kids if there have been any informal activities or lessons.

#3 of 5 Old 04-21-2010, 05:38 PM

At my DS's son (private school), they are doing nothing and I am so bummed. Next year, I may try to see if we can do something even just for his class. I love earth day and we try to do things as a family for it, but I don't think very many people in my town care. We don't even have recycling facilities in our town other than newspaper/paper and 1 & 2 plastic.

As the school I work at (public high school), they are trying to get people to do brown out as much as possible and encouraging a no paper day.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#4 of 5 Old 04-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Two of my kids are going on a field trip to a Nature center (and have been doing earth related activities for more than a week), and another kid is working on their school's garden (they have trucks coming to dump a bunch of dirt/soil - so he's excited about that).

Oh, the older two kids also spent hrs yesterday cleaning up trash and tidying up the school grounds in honor of earth day.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 5 Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
The middle school science teacher is organizing a "walk to school" starting from the far corner of the boundary. It's about a 45 minute walk from our house, but all the kids in the neighborhood are super excited about it!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page