Lunch jars/thermoses? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am looking for some lunch jars for my kids because I'm not sure if they have microwave privileges. I would want to send stuff like stew, chili, soup, etc. The only two I've found that look okay are the large Laptop Lunch thermos and this Fuel thermos - http://www.fenigo.com/FuelThermal.htm , I'd probably get the large one. Any input on either of these two thermoses would be great. Do they actually keep food warm? Are they easy for little ones to open? Are they the right size for a school lunch? Any help appreciated!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know Target carries Thermos brand thermoses that are meant for kids. They have different characters and prints and are a good size.

joy.giflurk.gif

#3 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 AM

We use the ones from Target made by Thermos without the characters on them. If I pre warm them with boiling water and preheat the jars it's still warm at lunch time. I've even put boiling water in after it's preheated and thrown in a hot dog.
#4 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

I am in Canada, I don't think we have target.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#5 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 AM

I have the same Thermos brand ones from Target. I'm sure they sell them at other stores too. It's like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Foogo-Thermos-.../dp/B000O3GCFU
except I didn't pay that much! The ones I have are character ones on clearance with the back to school stuff so I only paid $8 each.

I think your older kids could open them, but my 4 yo can't. 1) It's just too big for him to get his hand around to get a good grip and 2) As the food cools slightly, it creates a slight vacuum. So, even if you're careful to not screw it too tight, it will be pretty hard to open by lunchtime. Even with the older kids I'd test it at home one day (fill with food, wait a few hours, let them try to open it) before sending them to school with it. Although, I've heard that teachers/lunch monitors will help the kids open things during lunch, so maybe it's a non-issue.
#6 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Do the Foogo ones hold enough food for a child? They don't look very large. Do they actually keep the food warm, because my older daughter will not eat food if it's just lukewarm.

#7 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 05:21 PM

You can get Thermos brand stuff in Superstore, Walmart, Zellers, Co-op, etc.

I'd first find out if they do have microwaves as it's just easier to do it that way. Thermos jars often don't get screwed on properly when they're done & it's quite easy to put in more than what the kid(s) will eat.
#8 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 PM

Don't mind me... subbing because I need the same thing.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#9 of 11 Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 AM

we are in Germany where most kids bring hot lunches during the cold months. I find most at our school have this
http://www.emsa.de/english/category_...php?cat_id=142

not sure if you can get stateside...love ours.
#10 of 11 Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Why don't you call the school and see what the lunch room situation is? Around here most lunch rooms don't have microwaves. Heck we are lucky if the teachers lounge has a working microwave.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#11 of 11 Old 05-23-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Do the Foogo ones hold enough food for a child? They don't look very large. Do they actually keep the food warm, because my older daughter will not eat food if it's just lukewarm.
Yes, they do work well to keep the food warm. What I do is fill the Thermos with hot water and let it sit while I cook or heat up the food in the microwave. Then I empty out the water, fill it up with food, and put the lid on.

I just measured ours and it holds a little more than 1 cup. Almost 1 1/4 cups.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page